new carbon ui hopper experence app this morning

If Dish is coming out with a NEW Hopper. Maybe the should just save the new GUI for the new HWS, rather than screwing up the current HWS. Just fix the bugs and add already promised functions.
That was supposed to be an option Dish was considering. I read further in that discussion that current Hopper users would have to manually initiate the download for the new UI too. For people who don't like change, they'll keep the existing UI and be none the wiser. For members of this forum, they'll surely go the route of updating.

That was supposed to be an option Dish was considering. I read further in that discussion that current Hopper users would have to manually initiate the download for the new UI too. For people who don't like change, they'll keep the existing UI and be none the wiser. For members of this forum, they'll surely go the route of updating.
That makes absolutely no business sense from Dish's perspective if the new UI is a totally from scratch code base which is incompatible with the existing UI. Why in the world would Dish be setting themselves up to have to support two completely different code bases with their own patch streams for the same hardware? Methinks that once the new UI rolls out there will not be a choice.

That makes absolutely no business sense from Dish's perspective if the new UI is a totally from scratch code base which is incompatible with the existing UI. Why in the world would Dish be setting themselves up to have to support two completely different code bases with their own patch streams for the same hardware? Methinks that once the new UI rolls out there will not be a choice.
Just like any other major software roll out, I must agree with you.

When I referred to "UI", I should have just said "software". They'll use the current software ... for a while.

You do realize that the original Hopper and the Hopper with Sling are "different" code bases already ? How much is different no one here knows but they don't share everything. Even if the only difference is the software related to the Sling functionality, they could run the same code and enable/disable modules if Sling is available or not.

When I referred to "UI", I should have just said "software". They'll use the current software ... for a while.

You do realize that the original Hopper and the Hopper with Sling are "different" code bases already ? How much is different no one here knows but they don't share everything. Even if the only difference is the software related to the Sling functionality, they could run the same code and enable/disable modules if Sling is available or not.
I absolutely realize that each Hopper model is going to be unique with slightly different drivers or other internal tweaks requiring its own load stream. What you are suggesting is to multiply that complexity by two. From all I've read the new UI is a completely new rewrite OS from the ground up with new drivers that are incompatible with the existing UI. There is no business sense to allow more than one version of the software on each box from a support perspective, even if it was theoretically possible. Making the deploy base more granular is never a good thing on the back end.

What you are suggesting is to multiply that complexity by two.
"For a while". After "x" amount of time, Dish will force the update just like they do with all software updates.

How is this any different than the phased roll-outs of new software that they do all the time ? Granted, those are done over the course of 1-4 weeks whereas this might go for a few months.

"For a while". After "x" amount of time, Dish will force the update just like they do with all software updates.

How is this any different than the phased roll-outs of new software that they do all the time ? Granted, those are done over the course of 1-4 weeks whereas this might go for a few months.
I can also agree with this statement, but other roll outs can be over a 3 month period. The big ones. This one I would assume will be completed fairly quickly at first, as people really want what they hear about. It will slow down after the first week, and rollout through the following 11 weeks. That's my guess.

This one I would assume will be completed fairly quickly at first, as people really want what they hear about.
The average customer has no idea about this. If I ask my wife or two teenage kids if they're excited about the new user interface for the Hopper, they'll have ZERO clue what I'm talking about. I could ask my co-worker that has Dish and he won't know anything about it.

My signature says it all....

Reactions: Troch77 and satjay
The average customer has no idea about this. If I ask my wife or two teenage kids if they're excited about the new user interface for the Hopper, they'll have ZERO clue what I'm talking about. I could ask my co-worker that has Dish and he won't know anything about it.

My signature says it all....
I can't see sigs on the phone, but is it the one that says "we are not the average user"?

It really all depends on any changes they made to the data services. If the new software connects to On Demand, Apps, and any other two-way services in the same way as the old software it largely doesn't matter. Or, if they can update things like Netflix separately from the rest of the system firmware. They can put the "old" software in maintenance mode, much like they do when a receiver is no longer in active development or just "finished". There's nothing that says they have to be actively developing the software as people are using it out in the field.

Just because older receivers don't get regular updates doesn't mean they are broken anymore. You can still get guide data for your 722 or older DVRs, right? Hoppers with the old software might not get new features, but they won't break.

It really all depends on any changes they made to the data services. If the new software connects to On Demand, Apps, and any other two-way services in the same way as the old software it largely doesn't matter. Or, if they can update things like Netflix separately from the rest of the system firmware. They can put the "old" software in maintenance mode, much like they do when a receiver is no longer in active development or just "finished". There's nothing that says they have to be actively developing the software as people are using it out in the field.

Just because older receivers don't get regular updates doesn't mean they are broken anymore. You can still get guide data for your 722 or older DVRs, right? Hoppers with the old software might not get new features, but they won't break.
Well that is apples and oranges really. Even though they may not be actively developing new software for the 722 or older it is a safe bet that ALL of 722s have the same software right now that are on the network actively receiving a signal. Same for earlier models. Dish simply uses blocks of receiver numbers to push software to. If your receiver is targeted in that deploy window it will update regardless of your desired wish.

I can also agree with this statement, but other roll outs can be over a 3 month period. The big ones. This one I would assume will be completed fairly quickly at first, as people really want what they hear about. It will slow down after the first week, and rollout through the following 11 weeks. That's my guess.
Another thing to consider is the issue that in a lot of SW updates, multiple Hopper households frequently report that one Hopper got the update and the other didn't. Would they coexist nicely when only one gets it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing to consider is the issue that in a lot of SW updates, multiple Hopper households frequently report that one Hopper got the update and the other didn't. Would they coexist nicely when only one gets it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only time will tell on that one. Not quite sure. Interesting to find out.

If Dish is coming out with a NEW Hopper. Maybe the should just save the new GUI for the new HWS, rather than screwing up the current HWS. Just fix the bugs and add already promised functions.
As close as we are to CES, I'm betting that they'll hold off just to be sure they have something to enter in the innovation contest. One of the important take-aways from the Joe Clayton era is that buzz is good.

Sticking it to DIRECTV for their somewhat tired UI has been good for business; especially as the X1 and TiVo interfaces have advanced.

Reactions: lakebum431
As close as we are to CES, I'm betting that they'll hold off just to be sure they have something to enter in the innovation contest.
Enter a contest? Does it matter if it was released 2 weeks before or 6 months before?

Also, remember that they announced this UI at the last CES show, didn't they? And said it would be out within ~6 months...

Enter a contest? Does it matter if it was released 2 weeks before or 6 months before?
The key is to not give the judges a chance to develop an early prejudice by comparing with the competition. Two weeks or six months doesn't matter but zero days versus two weeks matters a lot.

Hey Ernie Dude. I'd be careful posting stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it's against your NDA and could cost you your job.

Reactions: navychop
Here's a peak
I don't want any part of a 2 hour guide. That two hours is better than 90 minutes (for the visually or diagonally impaired) doesn't impress me. The point of the guide is to find what you want to watch without the pain and suffering of a search and making the guide smaller is exponentially more stoopid as the half hours disappear.

Speaking of searching, the capture suggests that the hash key has been repurposed to be a help key; another strike against us long-time DISH users.

I wonder if there is somewhere I can register the term "diagonally impaired". :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts