New D* satellite Question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cueman98

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 14, 2004
Cocoa, Florida
Hi,

Think I read somewhere that the newest D* satellite was going to take over the transmission for one of the older satellites(101 W slot) as well as add capasity for new channels. I'm I correct?

cueman98 said:
Hi,

Think I read somewhere that the newest D* satellite was going to take over the transmission for one of the older satellites(101 W slot) as well as add capasity for new channels. I'm I correct?

Nope, the new satellite isn't going to 101 and any new channels will be for local into local HD according to the D* press info.

rad said:
Nope, the new satellite isn't going to 101 and any new channels will be for local into local HD according to the D* press info.

I believe he was referring to DirecTV 8 that is indeed going to 101, though the info is sketchy on whether or not DirecTV 8 will offer any new national programming, or whether the new national programming will come from the SpaceWay satellites.

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
I believe he was referring to DirecTV 8 that is indeed going to 101, though the info is sketchy on whether or not DirecTV 8 will offer any new national programming, or whether the new national programming will come from the SpaceWay satellites.

~Alan

The 'newest' satellite, which was launched this morning and it's going to 103 for HD local into local.

rad said:
The 'newest' satellite, which was launched this morning and it's going to 103 for HD local into local.

Yes, he did say 'newest' satellite, which (depending on how you look at it) seems to imply that he was referring to SpaceWay-1, though his comments regarding replacing a satellite at 101 seemed to imply DirecTV-8. I guess I should have spent less time correcting you, and more time informing him.

SpaceWay-1 will be going to 102.8º and will be used to provide HD-LIL (and possibly some additional HD programming).
SpaceWay-2 will be going to 99º, and will be used to provide HD-LIL (possibly along with some additional HD Programming).
DirecTV-8 will be going to 101º to replace a current satellite. While there will be no ku band increase in space. It is possible that the ka band portion of the bird could be used for more HD programming.
DirecTV 9s will be launched first of next year, and could be used for more SD-LIL, although odds are it will just carry the locals currently at 72.5º.
DirecTV-10 and DirecTV-11 will be launched in 2007, and will house more HD-LIL with most likely the majority of HD nationals.

~Alan

O.k. Thanks for the clarification, I was not completely sure which satellite was replacing 101, but I thought it was going to happen. The reason I ask is that I get all my channels (including locals)from 101(A) , so I'm wondering if I may need a new dish at some point in the future when directv-8 goes online.

cueman98 said:
O.k. Thanks for the clarification, I was not completely sure which satellite was replacing 101, but I thought it was going to happen. The reason I ask is that I get all my channels (including locals)from 101(A) , so I'm wondering if I may need a new dish at some point in the future when directv-8 goes online.

You will need a new dish and hardware to get any new HD LIL and national HD offerings period. All customers to get anything new will need new hardware.

cueman98 said:

If I'm wrong someone can correct me but you won't need a new dish to utilize the KU band which is where the current programming is.

However to utilize the new KA band capabilities, I'm 99% sure you will not only need a new dish but new receivers as well. I'm not sure anyone knows what DirecTV's plans are with KA yet. It may all be used for MPEG-4 which might only work with new generation receivers and DVR's not even available at this time.

Again, if I'm wrong I hope someone will quickly correct me. I'm compiling info from many other readings and I can't guarantee they are all correct. My understanding of electronics though says to receive new frequencies will require new receiver and LNB on the dish.

ddobson said:
If I'm wrong someone can correct me but you won't need a new dish to utilize the KU band which is where the current programming is.

However to utilize the new KA band capabilities, I'm 99% sure you will not only need a new dish but new receivers as well. I'm not sure anyone knows what DirecTV's plans are with KA yet. It may all be used for MPEG-4 which might only work with new generation receivers and DVR's not even available at this time.

Again, if I'm wrong I hope someone will quickly correct me. I'm compiling info from many other readings and I can't guarantee they are all correct. My understanding of electronics though says to receive new frequencies will require new receiver and LNB on the dish.

Your correct in that all current HD boxes don't support MPEG4 "AND" current HD boxes can't see the new KA satellites. To put it simple even if current boxes could support MPEG4 it won't do any good if those same boxes can't see the satellite that have the channels.

Hello LonghornXP . Just wanted to ask if you heard anything about the people with internal HD receivers. I called Directv and asked them the same question and they told me that there would be a deal for everyone. Whatever that deal is who knows...have you heard anything?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)