New desperate satellite freak

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cristianjanz

Jul 30, 2008
V2T4N4
Hi SatelliteGuys. I'm new in this world of satellite and i really need help setting up my system. I have a Coolsat 6000, a 30x33" Didiwave Dish and a DG780 Ku-Band LNBF. The thing is i have to install the dish on my balcony because i'm not allowd to install it on the roof and the only satellites i can reach there are between 50.0 W and 84 W. I tried every single satellite and nothing. Don't know what i'm doing wrong. Do i need another LNB or a bigger dish for those Satellites?? Do trees block the signal completle?? What about cloudy sky?
I'm actually intereted in Intelsat 9 becouse there is a channel from my homeland PARAGUAY!!! anyways!! Any suggestion??
My location is V2T4N4, Canada.

For Ku-Band reception of Intelsat 9, you'll need a universal Ku LNBF (L.O. 9750/10600) instead of a standard Ku LNBF (L.O. 10750). I think the channels you are looking for are on C-Band. If that is the case, you'll need a 6 foot or larger dish with a C-Band LNB.

Intelsat 9 at 58.0°W - LyngSat

4-digit frequency numbers (the left column) are C-Band, 5-digit are Ku.

Thanx Tron. What LNB do you recommend me to use. the Invacom QPH-031?? By the other hand, what satellite can i get with the DG780 LNBF??

Your channel from Paraguay is on C-band so you need a much bigger dish.

You can get Cubavision Internacional on Intelsat 9 using a Universal LNB but not with the QPH-031 because that is a standard linear LNB.

Telemundo affiliate from Colorado is available on 79.0 west AMC 5

......and if you have an AC3 decoder passing thru or built in to receiver , V-me is available via PBS on 87.0 west AMC 3

Giving you a total of 3 channels in Spanish with your current LOS.

The more I read the posts the more I realize that I'm repeating TRON , sorry about that .

cristianjanz .. How do you know that your Line of sight is so limited from 50.0w - 84.0 W
Did you use a compass and eye the direction.

Sorry Guys, i meant Amazonas, not intelsat 9 and yes it is in C-Band.
cristianjanz .. How do you know that your Line of sight is so limited from 50.0w - 84.0 W
Did you use a compass and eye the direction.
i found out on a website that shows you where to point your dish whit google maps.
Picture1.jpgThats 82.0 W. and more South is impossible from the balcony.

So, a universal LNB would be recommended to get more channels?? Don't really care if Spanish or not, just know that i hate cable tv.

Last edited:
C Band requires at least a 6 foot Dish, 8 foot or bigger is recommended.
That might be a bit much for a Balcony!
Could you install on the Roof?

Sorry Guys, i meant Amazonas, not intelsat 9 and yes it is in C-Band.
i found out on a website that shows you where to point your dish whit google maps.
View attachment 27375Thats 82.0 W. and more South is impossible from the balcony.

So, a universal LNB would be recommended to get more channels?? Don't really care if Spanish or not, just know that i hate cable tv.
Looking at the Dishpointer picture, it seems you have a big clear roof at your disposal. And Flat too!!:eureka

Ok Guys,
i made me an altered version of the Soda Straw Inclinometer. And here it is. Is it not awesome!! And yes i got a clear LOS!!!
So i decided to go for AMC 6 until i get something. Sorry for asking again, but will my LNBF work with that bird?? I'm still confused with all the Ghz and Mhz on the LNB.
Here some questions.

What does the LO: 10.750 GHZ mean?? I Know that LO means Local Oscillator but what does Local Oscillator mean??
What is RF and what is IF and what are they for??
What Azimuth do i use from the dishpointer site, the true one or the Magnetic one??
I have read in some post's about Strong transponders. What are they?? AMC 6 has a good transponder, right??

Ok, enough questions for now. Thanks again guys!!

100_4401.JPG

"What does the LO: 10.750 GHZ mean?? "
It's the Freq. that the LNB operates at. You need to enter that information into the Receiver. In the Sat Setup Menu you will have many many options that you have to correctly enter, it is not Plug N Play. Enter ANY wrong info and you will not be able to Lock a Freq.

"Sorry for asking again, but will my LNBF work with that bird?? "
It will work for only Ku Freqs, they are 5 digits, like 12144
C Band has 4 digit Freqs, like 3880, it requires a C Band LNB and at least a 6 foot dish.
However, there is not much on that Sat. At the top of this web page select "The List" tab.
Find the Sat you would try to aim for and see what is listed.

"What Azimuth do i use from the dishpointer site, the true one or the Magnetic one??"
If you are using a Compass to point the Dish, you would use the Magnetic.

IF = Input Freq. The cable from the LNB is connected here. Think of it as "Video In" on a VCR

Another question. Will i not get any quality signal if the roof of the balcony blocks the LOS by an 1/4 or less?? And it is cloudy! I just don't get anything. I will try to mount it on wall outside of the balcony.

OMG!!! I got clear sky and installed the dish on the wall and YES!!!! i got green!!! yeeeepeeee!!!!!!! thanx for all the help!!! yeeepeeeee!!!

Ok, i'm still a little confused but it's fun!! I got some NBC feeds and some ESPN Xgames feeds. The NBC feed if 'im not wrong are from AMC6, right?? But the XGames i have no idea. They are not on the same bird cuz i have to move the dish by a little to see one or another. Anyways. And here are the questions again.
Why do i get the same channels if i do a blind scan lets say on AMC6 and intelsat 707 whitout moving the dish?? What is actually a blindscan?? :confused:
And then i moved the dish a little closer to Intelsat 9 or Intelsat 707 i think and with the Satellite finder i got a strong signal but nothing to find in the receiver with the blind scan. I tried to put in the TP's from The List from all satellites under AMC6, but nothing. So i have no idea what i'm doing wrong.
I'm ok with the XGame for now but any help would be appreciated.

You are probably on Horizons 2 @ 74 West(formerly Galaxy 17, SBS 6)

Blind Scanning is when the receiver scan all possible combo of Freq and Scan Rates to find Live / Active Transponders.

Are you using USALS to controll the Motor?
To find where you are, in the Receivers Sat Setup Menu, tell receiver to go to Horz 2 @ 74 west, and find or add the ONN Transponder in the list.
See...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=74+SBS+6
You are looking for "11733" yours may be (+/- 1)
It reads-----
TP Freq: 11733
Polarity: H orizontal
S can R ate: 6616

This is a Strong Signal, if you do not get it, you may need to rotate the Motor and Dish on the pole.

Are you using USALS to controll the Motor?
i don't have a motor. i'm just moving by hand. but i'm thinking to get one when my pocket allows me to.:p

So, if i don't have a motor and i do a blindscan on any Satellite in the receiver it will give me always the same channels depending to where my dish is directing to. Right??

"So, if i don't have a motor and i do a blindscan on any Satellite in the receiver it will give me always the same channels depending to where my dish is directing to. Right??"
Yes.
When Blind Scanning you are scanning the actual Sat in orbit, does not matter which Sat you have selected in the receiver.

youre getting a mix of both AMC6 & SBS6/H2..very strong signals can bleed over at a lower signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)