New DIRECTV H20 MPEG-2/4 on sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.
uncrules said:
Does anybody know when the 2nd generation one will appear?

from what i hear when the original ones are depleted. im opting for the biggun :yes guaranteed less rain fade. hell, im using twin winegard 30s now :shocked

sateck01 said:
from what i hear when the original ones are depleted. im opting for the biggun :yes guaranteed less rain fade.

Same here! My Uncle next door has a SuperDISH, and I'm starting to feel Dish-envy when I look at his compared to my Phase III.

~Alan

lou_do said:
I see a lot of concern over the size of the dish, but remember the bigger the dish the less rain fade effects it. So a bigger size dish may not be all that bad.
It is so nice living in the semi-arid climate of Colorado, I saw rain face once for about 2.5 minutes ... in the last 8 years.

Alan Gordon said:
Same here! My Uncle next door has a SuperDISH, and I'm starting to feel Dish-envy when I look at his compared to my Phase III.

~Alan
OUCH! Man ... you should never let folks know your trying to compensate ;)

Let me tell you, in the more humid parts of the world like New Orleans we do tend to get some rain fade... Not as much as the cable co. want's you to believe, though.

A bigger dish is welcome down here. Hell, I was going to get a channelmaster dish till I found out about the new 5 lnb setup. (Hmmm.... wonder if ChannelMaster will release a 'bigger' 5 lnb dish?) That would sure be a nice addition to all the rumor and conjecture that's flying around.

slacker9876 said:
OUCH! Man ... you should never let folks know your trying to compensate ;)

He used to have a BUD, and I was proud to have a small dish, but now he has a SuperDISH, and two Dish 500's (one for his garage and another for their RV) compared to my Phase III dish and additional round dish (saved me from buying a 5x8 switch). Now I just look pitiful... ;)

~Alan

cr0mag said:
Let me tell you, in the more humid parts of the world like New Orleans we do tend to get some rain fade... Not as much as the cable co. want's you to believe, though.

We have the same problem, though we did pretty well with Dennis. Guess we'll see how we fare with Emily!

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
We have the same problem, though we did pretty well with Dennis. Guess we'll see how we fare with Emily!

~Alan

Dennis was no real prob here, but Cindy knocked out power for 4 days at casa de cr0mag.... No fun at all! :(

cr0mag said:
Dennis was no real prob here, but Cindy knocked out power for 4 days at casa de cr0mag.... No fun at all! :(

Dennis gave us some rain fade, and made the grass grow quite a bit. Some places South of us got flooding. Cindy didn't do much here.

Rain fade is kind of strange here, as I can be looking out the door when it's cloudy out, yet not raining, and the signal will go out, and then you can look out and a few seconds later, there will be rain. Once the rain gets steady, the signal will usually pop back in. If a larger dish will help that, I would like one... though it doesn't really bother me that bad...

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:

~Alan

yeah but tell him who has the best provider...you do!

sateck01 said:
yeah but tell him who has the best provider...you do!

I've discussed the merits of "Widescreen Vs. Pan&Scan" with him (He doesn't like the black bars!) and the merits of HDTV (he's not that interested), and I refuse to get into a discussion of which satellite provider is better especially since he doesn't use a DVR, and Dish Network provides us with locals, and DirecTV doesn't (I'm still WAITING!!).

~Alan

Skyboss said:
I've had one of these for some time:

http://www.solidsignal.com/gainmasterantenna.asp

No big deal on the dish size.

Yup, that's the one I was thinking about untill all the discussion of a new dish for the new sats started. Needless to say, a fool and his money were lucky to ever meet in the first place, so I'm holding off for now.

Just out of curiosity though, how well does the gainmaster perform? Did you notice any real difference from the stock dish? :confused:

As for the self install issue, I am sure there will be certified installers more than willing to sell someone a dish for the right price. As for the right price, I guess it depends on how much you value the DNS feeds you moved to get. ;)

All kidding aside, I will not allow a D* installer to touch anything related to my install. Call me picky, but that is the way it is, so if I have to pay for a black market dish, I will.

a mans home is his castle! your install is on you!

ok, george westinghouse, question for you, say you self install and wall fish a line from the basement to the second floor. ok? say something goes wrong with that line, is a new wall fish covered under the protection plan?

NO!!

you will pay for the wall fish as if it were a new install, BECAUSE it would have been charged for at the time of install.

cracks me up, you guys brag about plasmas and projecters and bitch about wall fishing and install costs which are guaranteed. un real

the same guys will pay 6 grand for a hd home theatre system and bitch about 49.00 for the sunday ticket in HD. that tells me one thing, you couldnt afford the tv and sure as hell cant afford to buy the programming .

is your credit card maxed out??

scott, sorry for :eek: the rant :shocked

lets see, 13 games X 17 weeks = 221 games.

even at $250.00 per year that is $1.15 per game

SO ????

but some will go to a bar and pay 2.00 for a draft or 3.00 per bottle

im not getting the rationale

I think the rationale is that most football fans are only interested in 16 of those games. Their teams' game. The rest most could care less about. I dont think you could watch tham all anyway. And if you are say, a Dallas fan, I think in my area we see them 8 times locally so D* would be blacked out. You would be paying 318 (super sucker price of 219+99)/8 = about 40 dollars a game. Nope go to the bar.

sateck01 said:
a mans home is his castle! your install is on you!

ok, george westinghouse, question for you, say you self install and wall fish a line from the basement to the second floor. ok? say something goes wrong with that line, is a new wall fish covered under the protection plan?

NO!!

you will pay for the wall fish as if it were a new install, BECAUSE it would have been charged for at the time of install.

cracks me up, you guys brag about plasmas and projecters and bitch about wall fishing and install costs which are guaranteed. un real

the same guys will pay 6 grand for a hd home theatre system and bitch about 49.00 for the sunday ticket in HD. that tells me one thing, you couldnt afford the tv and sure as hell cant afford to buy the programming .

is your credit card maxed out??

scott, sorry for :eek: the rant :shocked

After this post you actually have the nerve to tell someone to speak in English...

If thats not the pot calling the kettle black, I dont know what is...

Clearly someone had too much to drink last night......

vurbano said:
I think the rationale is that most football fans are only interested in 16 of those games. Their teams' game. The rest most could care less about. I dont think you could watch tham all anyway. And if you are say, a Dallas fan, I think in my area we see them 8 times locally so D* would be blacked out. You would be paying 318 (super sucker price of 219+99)/8 = about 40 dollars a game. Nope go to the bar.

vurbano,

i dont see wisdom in buying the ST if you are only watching the home team. we may be spoiled in steeler country (games are ALWAYS sold out), because we can see every game they play every sunday. it was my impression that the ST was geared to the sub who wanted to pick and choose to watch 3-4 games that werent offered in his home market. correct me if i am wrong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts