New fantastic four movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Just caught the trailer for the new fantastic four movie called Rise coming out in June, looks interesting with the debut of the silver surfer but they seem to have made him out to be a villian.

The first one was ok, the characters roles were loose and the story short, if they had tightened up the roles and added another15 minutes then it may have been a better film. I caught two more trailers last night and now understand the role that they have put the surfer in thanks to hearing about "worlds disapearing after this guy leaves".

The dude is the herald of galactus. you don't want him dropping by the neighborhood.

Just caught the trailer for the new fantastic four movie called Rise coming out in June, looks interesting with the debut of the silver surfer but they seem to have made him out to be a villian.

Yeah, as said above...having him drop in is not good news.

I had forgotten about galacticus and the surfers role, the last time that the surfer and galacticus were big in the comic book seen was back in the mid to late 80's during the war series that were taking place and around the time that super man was killed off by doomsday and they spun off the splinter supermen including the one that shack was supposed to play in a movie.

If memory fails me, didn't the Silver Surfer join the Fantastic 4? I thought I read a comic book about him betraying Galacticus and being exiled to earth!

The first movie was just awful. Given the vast universe from which to draw from, they completely blew it by turning Dr. Doom into an insane and evil Donald Trump clone. About the only thing they got right were Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm's personalities. The rest of the movie was a mess.

I had high hopes for the sequel. With the backstory out of the way, they could concentrate on the story of Galactus. Then word started spreading on what we'd see in the next movie.
According to an earlier interview with Ioan Gruffudd on AICN, the Galactus we're familiar with won't appear in the movie. And, in an article today, it looks like we'll be treated to the Marvel Ultimate version of Galactus or "Gah Lak Tus." Instead of the immense and impressive devourer of worlds, we'll get a lame ripoff of the Borg.
Given how impressive Galactus looked in the commercials for the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game, I had huge expectations for this move. Of all the comic book heroes out there, The FF is at the top of the list for potential epic movie franchises.

Instead, the toss aside most of the good stuff, and decide to go with a bunch of dreck.

The missed potential is depressing.

Scott

I can't wait to see this movie. I thought the first one was ok, but I have never read the comic books either so I can't compare.

If memory fails me, didn't the Silver Surfer join the Fantastic 4? I thought I read a comic book about him betraying Galacticus and being exiled to earth!

Yes he did, it would have been during that big cross publisher war series I referred to in the late 80's if memory serves me. There was alot going on within DC and Marvel as they were trying hard to compete against the smaller start ups that had been coming out of Canada such as Dark Horse and Image. Coincidently enough spidermans symbiot ( sp? ) was also another idea that came from around that time as did The New Mutants ( one of several xmen spinoffs ) and a multitude of batman offshoots came around to. Unfortunately some good comics were killed off prior to the big push by DC and Marvel and The Ghost Rider was one that I had every copy of up to its demise.

I can't wait to see this movie. I thought the first one was ok, but I have never read the comic books either so I can't compare.

Find yourself a comic book shop and look through the back issues, any self respecting comic book shop will have vintage copies of every series though there are some that are hard to find.

I enjoyed the first movie and am looking forward to the 2nd movie.I bet they have galactus show up in the 3rd movie.Special effects look good so far for silver surfer.

Find yourself a comic book shop and look through the back issues, any self respecting comic book shop will have vintage copies of every series though there are some that are hard to find.
Marvel has done a very good job in recent years of reprinting key story lines in trade paperback formats.

Essential Fantastic Four, Vol. 3Contains the first Galactus story, plus many others. All for just over $10, or less than fifty cents an issue. The other essential volumes are also worth buying, but this one probably features the best of the best.

This would give you a good idea of just how badly the movie makers missed the mark.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)