New Google Pixel Phone

Not at all. I noticed that on a couple of reviews, but on mine or my uncles we have not been able to spot them.

Three days in and I'm still amazed at the speed of this thing. Google really optimized the hell out of it.

I've had, and have top knotch Android hardware with skins. It's never run like this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rey and TheKrell
Not directly related to the Pixel phones, but it looks like some WalMarts put Google Home on store shelves early, but the POS terminals won't let them be sold until the 4th.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/30/walmart-accidentally-puts-google-home-store-shelves-early/

As much as I've come to dislike the whole Internet of Things concept, I pre-ordered one to try it out. If it can interface with my Hue Lighting System halfway decent, it will be worth it. Plus I've been looking for a portable speaker to replace the stupid Beats Pill I got conned into buying.

A few more days in and the only thing I can find that I would change is the waterproofing.

That said it's not a big deal for me as until I got the s7 edge none of my previous phones were either.

Reactions: Rey
Almost a month in and im at the point in trading my s7 edge in with my att line and getting another pixel or the pixel XL.

It's just a superior device imo

Reactions: Rey and KE4EST
Update. This is the best phone I've ever used.

So much so that I get annoyed when I have to use my s7 edge when my Verizon service drops out.

None of the famous "Android lag" that so often impacts these devices after several months if usage. The s7 is starting to show it.

I might not notice without the pixel as a daily device along side it, but it's there.

My Pixel XL arrived last week. I’m not really sure how it’s an upgrade to the Nexus 6P, but at least I can use it when not connected to a power source. It’s not a bad phone by any means, it’s just not an upgrade for me. The audio sounds one sided, flat and lifeless with its one non front facing speaker. When it comes to playing around with VR, no question about it, the 6P with Cardboard provides a better overall experience than the Pixel with Daydream, since the dual speakers creates a more immersive experience.

The smaller screen is not to my liking, and I don’t feel it’s as vivid as the 6P. As a creature of habit, I never like change, so after using the default launcher for a couple days, I put Nova back on. It’s a little quicker than the 6P, I’ll give it that but overall it’s not much of an improvement of the Nexus.

Getting the battery replaced on my 6P just wasn’t worth it to me, especially considering its nearing two years old. My wife is still using the ancient HTC One M7, which is chugging along without a problem. Once the Pixel 2 comes out, I’ll give my wife the Pixel XL, as she doesn’t care so much about stereo speakers or screen size, and I’ll get to 2 XL. With Google’s back to school sale 2 weeks ago, I paid $614, including tax for the 32GB Pixel XL and Daydream headset. Not too shabby all things considered. If it wasn’t for the horrific battery life on the Nexus, I would have held on to both phones for one more year and got the Pixel 2 XL next year at a discounted price, along with what I hope to be a Pixel 3.

I’ve been wanting to try out T-Mobile’s network, even though I’m not a fan of them and the old HTC M7 is Sprint only, so it’s not totally a bad thing. What is disgusting though is after less than two years, I couldn’t even get a half an hour worth of battery life out of the 6P and Huawei won’t do much of anything to rectify the situation, even though the early shut down is well documented online, and my situation is a bit more extreme. 20-30 minutes of use until it reaches 60% or so and then it just dies.

Oh well. Sent the 6P to eBay for their Valet Phone Buyback program. Quoted price was $190, I accidentally selected Frost as the color instead of Aluminium. When I tried to requote the phone a few days later with the correct color, it came back with 'Your phone isn't eligible for Quick Sale'. Hopefully they don't notice :)

Reactions: KE4EST
My Pixel XL arrived last week. I’m not really sure how it’s an upgrade to the Nexus 6P, but at least I can use it when not connected to a power source. It’s not a bad phone by any means, it’s just not an upgrade for me. The audio sounds one sided, flat and lifeless with its one non front facing speaker. When it comes to playing around with VR, no question about it, the 6P with Cardboard provides a better overall experience than the Pixel with Daydream, since the dual speakers creates a more immersive experience.

The smaller screen is not to my liking, and I don’t feel it’s as vivid as the 6P. As a creature of habit, I never like change, so after using the default launcher for a couple days, I put Nova back on. It’s a little quicker than the 6P, I’ll give it that but overall it’s not much of an improvement of the Nexus.

Getting the battery replaced on my 6P just wasn’t worth it to me, especially considering its nearing two years old. My wife is still using the ancient HTC One M7, which is chugging along without a problem. Once the Pixel 2 comes out, I’ll give my wife the Pixel XL, as she doesn’t care so much about stereo speakers or screen size, and I’ll get to 2 XL. With Google’s back to school sale 2 weeks ago, I paid $614, including tax for the 32GB Pixel XL and Daydream headset. Not too shabby all things considered. If it wasn’t for the horrific battery life on the Nexus, I would have held on to both phones for one more year and got the Pixel 2 XL next year at a discounted price, along with what I hope to be a Pixel 3.

I’ve been wanting to try out T-Mobile’s network, even though I’m not a fan of them and the old HTC M7 is Sprint only, so it’s not totally a bad thing. What is disgusting though is after less than two years, I couldn’t even get a half an hour worth of battery life out of the 6P and Huawei won’t do much of anything to rectify the situation, even though the early shut down is well documented online, and my situation is a bit more extreme. 20-30 minutes of use until it reaches 60% or so and then it just dies.

Oh well. Sent the 6P to eBay for their Valet Phone Buyback program. Quoted price was $190, I accidentally selected Frost as the color instead of Aluminium. When I tried to requote the phone a few days later with the correct color, it came back with 'Your phone isn't eligible for Quick Sale'. Hopefully they don't notice :)
I guess I've been really lucky, or the Nexus 6 isn't the same battery as the 6P, but my Nexus 6 has been pretty solid in all respects since I got it over 2 years ago.

The early battery shutdown bug affected the Pixel and the Nexus 6P, but it was much worse with the 6P from what I understand. And it was fixed with a software update for the Pixel, never touched for the Nexus. The batteries between the 6 and 6P are different, the 6P has a slightly larger capacity battery, 3220 mAh versus 3450 mAh. Ironically enough, not for the long haul. Looking at a few of the Android forums like XDA and Android Central, I wasn't alone in getting under an hour worth of use out of the 6P. I know all of these batteries are pumped out of one of a handful of factories overseas, but I can't help to think good ole American Motorola, and cheap Chinese junk from Huawei. The Nexus 6 looked like a solid phone, I wish I had the privilege of using it. Should have opted for that, once my HTC One Max started to suck.

10 minutes after Google's announcement today, I enrolled my Pixel XL in the Android beta program like I always did with the Nexus, to get the new version of Android within seconds of it hitting the stream. I was prompted to download the 4th beta of Oreo, not the final release. I declined and un-enrolled from the beta program, about an hour later I re-enrolled, and kept checking for updates. Shortly before 4p EST, I received Oreo 8.0. Haven't run into any problems yet. After an OS upgrade, I always do a factory wipe of the phone and start over from scratch. Spent the last 5 hours hammering on the phone, customizing the settings, installing apps, configuring apps, pairing it to all my bluetooth devices, etc and no hiccups as of yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170821-230820.png
    Screenshot_20170821-230820.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Screenshot_20170821-230820.jpg
    Screenshot_20170821-230820.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: KE4EST
I know all of these batteries are pumped out of one of a handful of factories overseas, but I can't help to think good ole American Motorola, and cheap Chinese junk from Huawei.
I hate to burst your bubble, but you know Motorola sold off their mobile phone operation to Google and Google sold it to Lenovo, right? Unless you meant "good ole American Motorola" to be sarcastic?

Anyway, I have a friend at work with a Nexus and I asked if he had installed Oreo yet.. He said he wanted to wait since it's his daily driver. From your post, it sounds like he can upgrade with no real drama.

Yep, I am aware Google bought Motorola Mobility and owned them for about two days before selling the unit to Lenovo. I'd like to at least pretend there's still something American about Motorola. But in hypercritical fashion, I'm one of the first people to go off about Chrysler being a foreign company, and if FCA sells to the Chinese, I'll have a field day with that.

No problems to speak of in a week with Oreo for me. The menus are a little bit reorganized so it takes me a few extra seconds to find stuff and I do like that swiping the finger print sensor up or down while the phone is unlocked will open or close the drop down menu. As for battery life, I only had the Pixel XL for a few days under Nougat, but right now the phone customized exactly to my liking, and I've been using it normally. Took it off the charger on Thursday night before I went to bed at around 11:30 and two and a half days later it sits at 26%.

Reactions: KE4EST and Foxbat
I guess I've been really lucky, or the Nexus 6 isn't the same battery as the 6P, but my Nexus 6 has been pretty solid in all respects since I got it over 2 years ago.
I just handed down my Nexus 6 to my daughter, which I've had since release day. I'll miss it, though, since it's the last phone I'll ever be able to (probably) root and replaced it with the ASUS Zenfone AR. Nice phone. The screen is gorgeous, it's fast and the 23 MP Camera is all it was hyped to be. I just hate it that VZW is locking down bootloaders now, though. I feel so handicapped not being able to root and customize my device