New guy with Pansat 2500a questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hibernicus

Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
Hello all!
I'm new to the hobby and I've been reading the forums for as much information as I can get :). I'm looking into some local dealers for my dish, but I did just pick up a used pansat 2500a. It powers on and I can poke around the menu, but I guess I'm limited without a dish :eek:.

Something occured to me after I bought the pansat. What do I do if the last owner used it to steal Dish network service? Would it still work for FTA? Is there a way to check? I know hack talk isn't allowed, but surely it's ok to ask how to reverse the process :).

welcome :wave

the best thing to do is to download the most current software on it from One second please.

The 2500 is a good receiver. I have the little brother the 1500 (2500 has svideo output and ac-3..the 1500 doesn't). The most up ot date software may be a couple years old but it still works just fine :)

But otherwise the box will work for FTA but lots of times when third party software is loaded in, it actually hinders the ability of the true fta to work right

Thanks Iceberg, from what I've gathered, the last satellite it was pointed at was Echostar's. The channel list included channels that definitely aren't FTA. Does that mean I bought it from a pirate :)?

Its easy to clean 3rd party (hack) software from the receiver. You'll need to connect a null-modem (PC to PC) serial cable (as opposed to a PC-to-device serial cable), and download the factory firmware from Panarex. There is a program with it that uploads the firmware to the receiver from your PC. This should overwrite the hack firmware, and your box should be good as new :)

I can use the 2700a software on the 2500a? Is the only difference between the two the software?

The link for the 2500a seems to be working..... Once you have the files, you need to unzip the folder, then install the loader program on your desktop.

After you have connected the 2500 to your computer, open the loader program and put the factory bin into the loader. When you start downloading the bin into your box, you will see the display counting upward. Don't interrupt the process, just wait for the program to finish and your box will reboot.

Here is the link that works for me.....

http://www.pansatusa.com/download/2500A/2500A.zip

changing firmware isn't difficult

You should first confirm that this is correct, but generally ya do the following, in this order:
- turn off the receiver with the power button on the front (or remote)
- power off your receiver with the switch on the rear
- connect the serial cable from your computer serial port to the DB9 on the receiver
- run the loader software on your computer
- select the firmware file you want to write to the receiver
- tell the loader program to begin download
- power on the receiver switch on the rear
- wait for the download to complete (watch the front panel of the receiver and the computer screen)
- even when you think you are done, wait to see if maybe the receiver is still working (lights flashing)
- once done, you usually get a complete indication on the receiver front panel and computer screen (find out what to look for on this receiver)
- power off the receiver with the switch on the rear
- disconnect the cable to the receiver
- power on the receiver with the rear power switch
- turn on the receiver with the front panel switch
- occasionally it may be necessary to go into the setup menu and do a factory reset at this point

I think that should do it. Sounds harder than it is.
Just be sure you do the steps in proper sequence, and you wont have any trouble.
And again, let me insist that you find some download document or instructions and verify the steps above.
If I list a few more steps , it is because I've tried to document every little thing.
... and if I've forgotten anything, I'm sure someone will post. :)

Thanks everyone!

I finally got time to flash the box. It seems to be working now (albeit without a dish). I'm hoping to order a 36" dish this week. I'm looking into a Fortec.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)