New Hopper Software Has Rolled out (S215, S216, S217)

thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all of them except for checking the bridging status; how do you check for bridging?

thanks again!

You can check the status this way.

The default setting has been set to disabled. You can turn it back on. Here are the steps on how to do this.

Yellow Hot Key
Select Network
Select Broadband
Select MoCA from drop down
Blue Hot Key twice.

At Team Summit I met with Mark Jackson and spent over a half hour explaining this bug to him as he didn't understand... then he called over other Echostar employees and had them take notes and he told them he wanted this fixed. Thanks Mark for spending the time with me and listening to my concern and doing something about it! :)

This is a little bittersweet for me. I had a bunch of things on my EHD that was recorded from many channels that I no longer subscribe to. I thought that Dish network had removed the feature because they don't want us watch recordings from channels we no longer subscribe to. So, I deleted all of those recordings thinking that it was not considered a "bug". Now that it's fixed, I could have watched those recordings again, but I deleted them. :( Oh well. Nice to see that this was a "bug" and it's now fixed.

This is a little bittersweet for me. I had a bunch of things on my EHD that was recorded from many channels that I no longer subscribe to. I thought that Dish network had removed the feature because they don't want us watch recordings from channels we no longer subscribe to. So, I deleted all of those recordings thinking that it was not considered a "bug". Now that it's fixed, I could have watched those recordings again, but I deleted them. :( Oh well. Nice to see that this was a "bug" and it's now fixed.

Ha. I almost gave up on them too but I just knew it had to be a bug since the 722Ks I had never had this issue. My mother's 722K with L752 also does not exhibit the issue. My recordings on the Hoppers that didn't work now work.

Well at least you (hopefully) won't ever have to worry about this issue anymore :) .

OK, I've just finished reading this entire thread and I'm more confused now than ever regarding the internet access for the Hopper and 2 Joeys I have.

First of all, I had the Hopper/Joeys installed the first week they were released. If I remember correctly, the HICs were not working or something like that when it was first released. My memory is a bit foggy on this. So, the installer installed my system using the Sling Homeplug Ethernet Adapter. Then, at some point, I tried to use DishOnline to access the content of my Hopper and it wouldn't work. So, they sent me a USB Wireless adapter. The Hopper was, then, able to get internet access and I was able to somewhat access the Hopper content using Dishonline. Now, nothing seems to be working. The Hopper shows that it is getting a connection, but nothing plays on Dishonline. And the Joeys are definitely not getting an internet connection.

Here's my setup: I have my high speed internet wireless router in a closet. The Hopper is in the Living Room. A Joey is in our Bedroom and a Joey is in the Home Theater Room. So, NONE of my Dish Network equipment is near the router.

Here's what I'm confused about:

• What hardware do I need to get the Hopper and Joeys online?
  • What is the HIC hardware and does it work for all Hopper/Joeys?
  • What is the Sling Homeplug and why doesn't it work with the Hopper/Joeys?
  • If I just use the USB Wireless adapter on the Hopper, can the Joeys gain internet access?
  • What is MoCa and how does it work?
  • What does Bridging mean and how does it work?

Basically, I just want to be able to access all of my recordings using Dishonline and the Dish Android apps. I'd also like for my Hopper/Joeys to eventually be able to access all of the available apps.

Sorry, but all of these new Hopper things have gone over my head.

Skipping commercials is almost useless for me now. Watched Hells Kitchen and Master Chef and the first few breaks it takes a good 5+ seconds to kick in. And about 20 minutes in, each show skipped 20+ minutes ahead. Did I get a bad update?

rdale said:
Skipping commercials is almost useless for me now. Watched Hells Kitchen and Master Chef and the first few breaks it takes a good 5+ seconds to kick in. And about 20 minutes in, each show skipped 20+ minutes ahead. Did I get a bad update?

Same here

I thought it was just me.

ChetK said:
[*]What hardware do I need to get the Hopper and Joeys online?
[*]What is the HIC hardware and does it work for all Hopper/Joeys?
[*]What is the Sling Homeplug and why doesn't it work with the Hopper/Joeys?
[*]If I just use the USB Wireless adapter on the Hopper, can the Joeys gain internet access?
[*]What is MoCa and how does it work?
[*]What does Bridging mean and how does it work?

*The HIC works similar to the sling home plug except it pages over the coax instead of your house electrical. Actually preferred method by dish if you have a coax line near your router already.
*sling home plug works by taking the data signal from your internet & transferring it over your house electrical wiring. It doesn't work with the hopper system because it requires a transmitter as well as a reciever unit. The ViP receivers have the recieving built in while the hopper does not. Small note, I have been seeing dish send us techs a new style of sling links that have both parts specially for hoppers.
*MoCA= Multimedia over Coax Alliance. Translation, all the info that your hopper system uses (video, audio, recordings, signal, etc) is transmitted from the hopper (think of it like the brain for the system) out to the joeys. Thats why if the hopper is unplugged NO ONE can watch tv but if a joey is unplugged, only that tv is affected.
*bridging is a method used in computer networking. Basically, It takes a connection from 1 network (ie your home internet) & shares it thru a device (hopper) to another network (hopper/joey system). Think of it like a bridge connecting to sides of a river. Right now however that bridging is causing so much traffic that the info that lives on the hopper side can't find the correct off ramp (the joeys) & is causing issues.

So recap, hopper won't work with classic sling link adapters. As for your wifi issue, try unplugging the wifi adapter ( hit ok on the prompt that it was unplugged) & plug it back in. You should get a prompt that it was plugged in & an option to use the wizard walk thru. Use it & make sure any security password you may have on your wifi is put in correctly (CAPS matters)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

It would be nice if they'd fix that intentional bug where the EPG defaults back to My Channels instead of staying on the last-used guide. Their logic for designing it that way is pretty weak. Plus, it does it the correct way on the Joey, which renders their argument moot.

Yes, I'd like to see that fixed also. I checked yesterday, I'm now on S217/S268, and it still changes back to My Channels!

I notice that Auto-Hop now defaults to 'No.' You have to change to say Yes. This continues to make it a subscriber choice to Auto-Hop because you have to do more than just hit enter/select.... Smart people these Dish folks. ;)

Mine does whatever it feels like doing.

Sometimes I choose all my channels, and it goes back to previous customize list when I pull up the guide again. Sometimes it doesn't.

For everyone complaining about your guide reverting to 'My Channels' try this.

Menu - settings - guide settings? - favorites

Put the dot next to the setting you want to be default, click save. Enjoy your preferred list automatically loaded every time.
You can select my channels, HD channels, and lists 1 thru 4.

Have not tried on Joey's, have not tested to see if it sticks after reboot.

That doesn't fix the problem.

I have two Custom Lists that have the channels I generally use. When I press the Guide button to change the List, it always reverts to My Channels and I have to cursor down to the other list. On the VIP722K, the second press of the Guide button started on the List you are on and then it was just a matter of one Cursor up or down.

I couldn't care less on what Guide List is selected after a restart, selecting one of my lists is a one time thing after the restart. Now I have to Cursor down to my list everytime I hit the Guide button twice,

Anyone having problems with locals on 61.5?

Report: Dish CEO Charlie Ergen finally gets his spectrum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)