New Hopper?

but how do you know some of those Dish/DTV installations aren't using an indoor/attic antenna?
Certainly a possibility. I have an outdoor antenna connected to my Hopper. As a "backup", I have a small, indoor antenna connected to the TV in our bedroom.

In his case, he may know that indoor antennas aren't feasible in his location - you need an outdoor antenna.

Let's face it. It's NOT the percent of CUSTOMERS, it's the percent of profit.
You make an even better point - how much profit does OTA support generate Dish ?

This may be why we see OTA and support, sorta
Look at the level of OTA "support" on the software side for the past 2+ years. It's clearly declining.... It's a sore subject for many members here, myself included, but we also have to face reality. The writing was on the wall ... and is now erased !

Reactions: Troch77
With my limited imagination, I foresee the Hopper 3 with the following. 5 satellite tuners + the OTA tuner for a total of 6. MOCA 2, HDMI 2, USB 3, gigabit ethernet and AC wireless. These improvements are all evolutions of the Hopper 2 and reflect the now or coming standards. It would also simplify the installs for the "99%".

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat and david_jr
Not a prediction but something I'd like to see changed. Put a "Begin Search" button in the search menu. I hate how it starts searching after every character input. It slows everything down and mucks up the keyboard sometimes. Especially on the Joey. It's impossible to search anything on the Joey. The way it was on my 622 and the way it should be on the Hopper is after you finish typing what you want to search for you hit a "Search" button and then it starts searching.

Type faster :p

Seriously though, I much prefer predictive searching like they're doing.
I would prefer progressive search too IF it worked. But on Hopper, text entry is slowed by the search making it often impossible to select the correct letter unless you wait until the search results fill in between each letter.

Reactions: bobvick
With my limited imagination, I foresee the Hopper 3 with the following. 5 satellite tuners + the OTA tuner for a total of 6. MOCA 2, HDMI 2, USB 3, gigabit ethernet and AC wireless. These improvements are all evolutions of the Hopper 2 and reflect the now or coming standards. It would also simplify the installs for the "99%".

USB 3.1 is soon to be standard

Reactions: Voyager6
My Granddaughter is 26 and just disconnected Dish and she had a Hopper. She bought 3 Amazon Fire sticks and an indoor flat antenna. Her kids 6 and 3 use the Fire sticks to play games on Amazon on tvs' in their rooms and she get 42 channels with her indoor antenna and uses the Fire stick to watch other tv programs available on Amazon. She was paying Dish over $100 per month. I have Dish with Dish America and $5 movie pack and pay $70 per month and get less programming than she currently gets. Dish needs more appealing cheaper packages. I watch my movie pack channels more than the Dish America channels. Other than the networks, which I get off an antenna also. I watch less than 5 of the Dish America channels. Most are junk or selling junk or religious channels. I am seriously considering switching to the Welcome pack or getting a TiVo.

As UHD support seems unlikely, this would be a wasted effort.How does this differ from slinging?
I see this as unlikely. With all of the repeats of most popular cable shows, it seems pointless if you're only serving an average household.
I suspect that there is a practical limit as to how many clients a DVR can drive with a possible mixture of HD and UHD content being sent out over the network.

The issue of all your eggs in one basket must not be dismissed.
The practical limit was something like 12 streams, and that was like 7 years ago. The chips today are even more capable of doing all sorts of streams and multi-tasking.

Have seen no indication of broadcast or cable channels getting there for at least two years.
At least that long even with NAB really pulling out all the stops for ATSC 3.0 (skipping the briefly proposed ATSC 2.0). Broadcasters realize they made some errors in not really embracing HDTV, so this time they are ALL IN and want it NOW!!! But, even at light speed and factoring in the FCC, it will take at least 2 years for something to start, and then the changeover will take even longer. Broadcasters are 4K hugging, but ATSC 3.0 is supposed to also allow for next gen formats (like 8K) without having to change the system. I don't know how that is, but it is a prime motivation for NAB pushing ATSC 3.0

Broadcasters are 4K hugging, but ATSC 3.0 is supposed to also allow for next gen formats (like 8K) without having to change the system. I don't know how that is, but it is a prime motivation for NAB pushing ATSC 3.0
That plus the prime motivation for enhanced copy protection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts