New HR20 DVR Over The Air Turner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jackm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
I'm interested in getting the new HR20 DVR, but I pretty sure I did read that the over the air portion of the receiver was not working. Can anyone confirm. I currently receive all my digital signals over the air, and would hate not to be able to receive any of the local programs in HD. And is the tuner as strong as their other HD receiver. Thanks

At this time, the OTA tuner on the HR20 is disabled. It is my understanding that it will be enabled in the near future via software upgrade.

ejdowden said:
At this time, the OTA tuner on the HR20 is disabled. It is my understanding that it will be enabled in the near future via software upgrade.

Yup, October is the date that is being tossed around but you know how that works.

I had to stack my old h10 on top of the hr20 and flip back and forth to watch the locals in HD. On the plus side, I see a noticeable difference in hd picture quality from directv signals. Of course, nobody has seen the hr20 OTA quality so it can not be commented on.

Slump Buster said:
Yup, October is the date that is being tossed around but you know how that works.

I had to stack my old h10 on top of the hr20 and flip back and forth to watch the locals in HD. On the plus side, I see a noticeable difference in hd picture quality from directv signals. Of course, nobody has seen the hr20 OTA quality so it can not be commented on.
I am assuming you mean the HR20 is better than the H10. If so, good news.

I understand that this question is purely speculative, but does anyone think it would be possible to have the HD Locals via the satellite, but receive their secondary HD channels OTA with the new HR20? After the tuners are turned on, of course.

I cannot believe D* would release this receiver without an activated OTA tuner. How stupid.

I want to upgrade to this box, but will wait until the OTA is working on it before getting it.

Perhaps the OTA picture quality is so much better, D*didn't want the instant comparison to JPEG4 video until the next update?

hdtvtechno said:
Yup i spoken with Tier 2 tech support with directv, and the lady read the notes that was given to the CSR's that said that the OTA tuner will be activated around october 1st via a software update...
Boy that would be cool, I've had this HR20 working for a whole 5 hours now and really miss my local HD signal, I have to keep switching remotes .... and most of what I record IS OTA local.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)