New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

Actually I think Burger King should buy Voom, they could be Burger Star High Definition Fast Food beamed right into your mouth... mMmmmMmmm Mmm.

OK so lets say for a moment this article is true. E* planning to buy voom.

Now would you guys rather:

A) Voom to E* as planned

B) Voom to Microsoft, which then bring back a version of ultimate TV - instant HDDVR, and plugs in voom access through windows media xp

C) Voom to D*

D) Voom to cable companies

E) Voom to sale it's programming to all of the above except for microsoft in this case.

Why discuss it since it is further away than anyone thinks? When it happens, nobody will speculate no more and then we can talk about the possibilities.

Sean Mota said:
Why discuss it since it is further away than anyone thinks? When it happens, nobody will speculate no more and then we can talk about the possibilities.

Very true. Just wondering what the general concensus would be as the best possibility. Hopefully they will get things moving in a very positive direction and none of those things happen.

madpoet said:
The location sucks if you are a current Echostar subscriber, because you likely would need 2 different dishes. The E* birds are all 40-60 degrees off of the Voom bird. Personally I LOVE the current orientation because it's the only one I could get.

Being that low to the horizon is the biggest problem. The extra dish is no big deal though.

I want MS to buy voom if it fails. Uncle Bill has tons of dough, and he's shown a willingness to lose money to get into a market (think Xbox). Isn't it Bill's dream to have Windows take over the living room? How fast can MS implement wm9/hdr on voom? I'm betting faster than motorola or ucentric or whoever.

Who else has all 10 Premium HD channels other than VOOM? I don't think any cable company does. While all this speculation is going on I'm still watching VOOM with over 40 HD channels.I also have DirecTV just for NFL Ticket. If Echo Star bought VOOM and kept it intact I would actually drop DirecTV to keep my HiDef Channels. After spending thousands of dollars on a boat you don't just cruise the harbor. If you buy a race car you don't just use it to drive to the grocery store. I'm using my HD hardware as fully as I can until I have to change to something else. Otherwise why the investment in the first place. It's not to watch re-runs of Hogan's Heroes.

QUOTE: "With DirecTV expanding its HD offerings with four new satellites, the Company will have the capacity to deliver 1,000 additional local and high-definition channels as well as 150 national high-definition channels,” says Scott Kipp, contributing analyst with The Diffusion Group.

But will they? So far DirecTV has not added one additional HD channel during the last 6 mos. except Bravo whereas VOOM added them as soon as they were available. And DirecTV is charging extra for that. With DirecTv you pay for SD channels, you pay for HD channels, you pay for Sports channels.....what will they think of to add to your tab next? They are becoming worse than the cable companies.

rad said:
Who would want it?

VOOMS VALUE to a potential buyer is not the subscribtion base but the hardware of its HD production facility, program contracts and most of all its Satellite space which both D & E heavily bid for against VOOM.

Take a look at the press release that D* put out last year regarding doubling tripling HD channels. My point is that they have I think double what they have but it has not been remotely close to benefit everyone. This year D* released another press release promising more HD channels and trying to keep you hanging for more time. This is the game that D* plays. At least Charlie says "there is no compelling programming".

DirecTV high-def doubling or tripling over the next 12 months

At that point D* had:

DiscoveryHD
HDNET
HDNET Movies
ESPN-HD
HBO-HD
Showtime-HD
PPV-HD
EVENT-HD (84)

Today D* has

DiscoveryHD
HDNET
ESPN-HD
HBO-HD
EVENT-HD (84)
BRAVO-HD+

Available ot O&O customers ONLY:
CBS-HD E/W
NBC-HD E/W (Announced already)
Fox-HD E/W (Announced already)

Not HD they are running at lower resolution
Showtime-HD
HDNET Movies

A bunch of NFL-HD channels available only to NLF Sunday Ticket Subscribers and with the only purpose of having NFL games on Sunday.

Just for the record Sean, what you posted was NOT a DirecTV press release.
It was a (posted on another website) story from Variety, the trade magazine, and the writer makes it clear she spoke with Carey.
I assume the story was not edited, but, in fact, it was a trade magazine news story, not a press release.
Here is where DirecTV's 2003 press releases are:
http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRelations/PubNews.aspx?partner=5276&ArcYear=2003

So Sean a year fron now when your Voom goes dead, you'll have to make a decision to go with either D* or E*.

Which one will you choose?

Please let me know if I can aid in your decision.

Zubinh,

I already have E* for HDnet and HDnet movies (not water down HD) and Cablevision with INHD and MSG-HD and FSNY-HD plus NBC-HD, CBS-HD, PBS-HD, etc.

My decision to watch the best HD available is based on who provide the best. I was going to switch to D* because of the rumors that were spread about 24 HD channels. So far nothing and let me say that if D* becomes better than E* or Cable I am dropping one of them. To me I have no ties. Give me the best HD programming and I will give you my business. No more no less.

As far as I know we still have 3 months before people can start ripping D* for not making good on their HD statement.

fredfa,

Yes, sorry for that missing on that. That release though had everyone excited at that point (including me). My point is that since that time very little has happened.

vurbano said:
AN amazingly irresponsible thread based on one line of speculation in an article.
I think your wrong, this is more than speculation! If Cablevision didn't expect to sell off Voom, Why do you think they announced they are "LOSING" customers and that they are "LOSING" money because of Voom's lack of new subscribers!!! If anything, I think its an outcry to either Dave of Echostar for a possible buyout. However, since DAVE recently announced their own plans of 4 New HD birds, the only logical conclusion is to sell to Echo* in order for them to continue the comp. Think about, Cablevision ALREADY hates DAVE because of their cable bashing, what more joy than to help Echo* fight back than to be Punk'd for not being a competative company! :smug

vurbano said:
AN amazingly irresponsible thread based on one line of speculation in an article.
I think your wrong, this is more than speculation! If Cablevision didn't expect to sell off Voom, Why do you think they announced they are "LOSING" customers and that they are "LOSING" money because of Voom's lack of new subscribers!!! If anything, I think its an outcry to either Dave of Echostar for a possible buyout. However, since DAVE recently announced their own plans of 4 New HD birds, the only logical conclusion is to sell to Echo* in order for them to continue the comp. Think about it, Cablevision ALREADY hates DAVE because of their cable bashing, what more joy than to help Echo* fight back than to be Punk'd for not being a satellite competative company! :smug

vurbano said:
I think your wrong, this is more than speculation! If Cablevision didn't expect to sell off Voom, Why do you think they announced they are "LOSING" customers and that they are "LOSING" money because of Voom's lack of new subscribers!!! If anything, I think its an outcry to either Dave of Echostar for a possible buyout. However, since DAVE recently announced their own plans of 4 New HD birds, the only logical conclusion is to sell to Echo* in order for them to continue the comp. Think about it, Cablevision ALREADY hates DAVE because of their cable bashing, what more joy than to help Echo* fight back than to be Punk'd for not being a competative satellite company! :smug

The title is misleading.

The article says it isn't adding them as fast as it was. "Customer additions slowed dramatically during the summer months"

This is not the same as losing subscribers. I don't doubt that many who have tried VOOM have left VOOM, but not to the extent that the subscriber base is actually shrinking.

If VOOM can iron out the hardware/software problems, and settle on a pricing scheme that works, they might just make it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)