new install and local channels

staywalt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 20, 2007
New Jersey
I will be getting Dish network service on 4 tv's' one of which is HD. I will not be getting HD package.

I hooked my Samsung Hd LCD 40 inch tv up to my old antenna in the attic through the air antenna connection on the TV. I am in NJ, 27 miles from the NY transmissions of ota signals. I get all Fox, CBS, ABC, NBC, CW11, and WOR in HD. In addition I get most of them in DTV also, but the regular analog broadcasts reception is not the best. My concern is, do the local channels service bought through Dish receive the air analog broadcasts direct from the air like my present antenna or is it delivered from the satellite for better performance ? Also if it is through the air and I can get a better signal on my antenna perhaps with an amplifier, can this antenna be integrated into the Dish wiring to provide the over the air analog & dtv signals to my other tv's which do not have a separate input for air antenna.

Also does every reciever box have to be connected to a phone jack or just one ?

1. All your dish receivers have an antenna input on them . If you hook your antenna lead into the receiver at each location the antenna signals will be integrated into the dish channels somewhere between ch. 2 and 100 depending on your local ch.number. If your dish receiver is HD then that receiver and tv would receive HD locals as well as analog.
2. Your local channels will be better from the OTA ( rather than satellite ) if everything is working right because the signal comes straight to you thru the air with no compression of signal involved. You may want to try installing a pre-amp where your antenna first enters the house if you need to boost signal. You may need a distribution amp further down the line also. Usually it is a trial and error type of thing.
3.The locals via satellite system are compressed then beamed to the satellite, then back to you and then decompressed in your receiver and thus usually are not as good of quality as those received directly from an OTA.

If he is not getting the hd package then he is probably not getting an hd receiver. So the locals will not be integrated into the dish guide from an antenna. He will need to purchase the locals package from dish to receive them with the sd dish receivers. Dish usually gets their local signals from the larger cities via a fiber link so the quality will be better than you usually get for over the air analog reception. If you get an hd receiver then the over the air antenna for locals would be better than dish as it would not be compressed before you received the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts