New Install - Should I worry about which equipment I get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nathanziarek

Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm a big enough of a second guesser that I'm hoping for some calming clarity regarding the equipment that I'll get. My understanding is that the HR23 is the best HD DVR DirecTV offers. I'm not sure what "best" entails (fastest? bigger HD?).

My two questions would be:

1. Does it actually matter if I end up with a less-than HR23?
  2. If so, is there a good way to guarantee that I get the newest equipment? I looked around Best Buy, and while they "sell" DirecTV, I didn't actually see any equipment on the floor, which makes me think I'm just ordering through them.

I'm sure I'm just being neurotic and superficial (I like the glossy black look), but if I'm only getting one thing for free, I want it to be the best I can manage, you know?

:)

Thanks for any advice...

Nate

I'm a big enough of a second guesser that I'm hoping for some calming clarity regarding the equipment that I'll get. My understanding is that the HR23 is the best HD DVR DirecTV offers. I'm not sure what "best" entails (fastest? bigger HD?).

My two questions would be:

1. Does it actually matter if I end up with a less-than HR23?
  2. If so, is there a good way to guarantee that I get the newest equipment? I looked around Best Buy, and while they "sell" DirecTV, I didn't actually see any equipment on the floor, which makes me think I'm just ordering through them.

I'm sure I'm just being neurotic and superficial (I like the glossy black look), but if I'm only getting one thing for free, I want it to be the best I can manage, you know?

:)

Thanks for any advice...

Nate

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it,as long as you get a HD DVR and thats what your looking for.

Yes, the HR23's are the newest ones. I don't have one, so I can't tell you much about it.
With the HR23's you don't need the BBC's for your HD channels (99 and 103) the older ones you do.

IF you buy from BB you can choose the one you want, but only with what they supply, the local ones around here have stock on the shelves. I think they were HR22's and H22.

Remember IF you do the BB thing, it's a LEASE, not an OWN.
Only real advantage would be choosing your model (I think they HR23 has the largest Hard Drive).
You would do the install which is not a big deal, but if you will also need a new dish you might want to go thru D* as an upgrade and let D* take care of it.

The HR23 is only the best because it has a larger hard drive and doesn't require the BBCs when connected to a regular AU9 dish. The HR22 also has the larger drive. The HR20 (no longer being built) and the HR21 have smaller hard drive. All of the above use the same software version, currently 312, but 34C is rolling out now.

The speed of these units is very subjectuve on who you talk to.
My HR20 and HR23 aren't very responsive to remote commands, but new software MAY help, eventually. :).

Remember IF you do the BB thing, it's a LEASE, not an OWN.

I thought they were all Lease now? Under what circumstances are they owned?

The other nice thing about the BB route is, online at least, you get a $50 gift card to BB. I was kind of hoping they had the same thing in store, where I could pick up whatever box I wanted, but you are probably right...I'm just getting antsy over pulling the trigger on a two year contract...

I thought they were all Lease now? Under what circumstances are they owned?

The other nice thing about the BB route is, online at least, you get a $50 gift card to BB. I was kind of hoping they had the same thing in store, where I could pick up whatever box I wanted, but you are probably right...I'm just getting antsy over pulling the trigger on a two year contract...

Yes, they are ALL LEASED now ....
As for the 2 year contract, it doesn't matter where you get the unit, as soon as you activate it, it's 2 years.

Since the units are all leased, are they also automatically under warranty (like with the cable company)? I see there is a "Hardware Protection Plan" while checking out. If these are not covered, what's the reliability like?

One more question, sorry ... eventually I'd like two DVRs so I can record all of my college basketball without worrying about losing something of my wife's. I only have one TV right now, so I don't even have anywhere to install a second receiver.

If, in a few months, if I decide I want it, how easy is it for a complete novice to hook up themselves? Not as simple as a cable splitter, I assume. Will I need to run a cable from the dish, and if so, should I make sure I get the right type of dish at the beginning?

Thanks!

I had DirecTV installed yesterday. I was bummed out that I was receiving a HR20-700 dvr - the same model I had with DirecTV 2 1/2 years ago. However, I was able to get DirecTV2PC, media share and On Demand to work without issues.

I either don't know what I am missing or it is a good receiver. Either way, it works and I am happy with it!

You are fine. My HR 20s already have dual buffers so they are getting the new software first this time. You also have built in OTA should you want to use it. Most people find the HR20s to have a faster response to the remote than any other models. I just wish they were black.

Ya my HR22-100 got he new software last night. Now its atleast close to my BellTV DVR in Duel Buffering. I like it;)

I had DirecTV installed yesterday. I was bummed out that I was receiving a HR20-700 dvr - the same model I had with DirecTV 2 1/2 years ago. However, I was able to get DirecTV2PC, media share and On Demand to work without issues.

I either don't know what I am missing or it is a good receiver. Either way, it works and I am happy with it!

And you can get your local OTA channels.

Nothing wrong with the HR20-700.
You get a remote that does IR as well as RF.
You can always add an External Hard Drive if you need more recording space, just make sure it's ESATA format

I had my install on 9/7/2009 and I got an HR21. Everything seems fine with it although it is much slower than the E* DVR I had (622).

I was hoping for the HR23, But thats hit or miss. I asked the installer if he had one in the van and He did look for one. All HR21's that day! Just my luck! :(

jet

I got the HR22-100 and this reciever is slow, it sucks, how do I get a better reciever out of them, I still have my dishnetwork and I have the 622 and the 722 and they both blow this turtle out of the water, if it wasnt for NFL ticket I would have thrown it out alraedy, and I dont see any place for the OTA wire on it.

I like the HR20 aside from the hard drive. Even if D* carries your locals, many times subchannels are not included so the only way to pick them up is from OTA. The HR20 is the only model with that built in support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)