New Member, Looking for 3D information, also here to lobby for dish network to get more 3d content

tiptoe

Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Minnesota
Just what the title says. i have been with Dish Network for over 6 years, i am very pleased with both my 622 recievers, i was one of the first to get a 622 many years ago.

I have my 3d tv, and my glasses all ready to go, got my blu ray player playing 3d, just waiting for Dish Network to get on board now. Its not something that it is to die for, but it definetly inhances the movie experience. Sorry if this is a burried topic, but i couldnt find info on it.

I have heard rumors that dish network guys look at these forums, so here is another "early adopter" customer who would love to update to the new reciever charlie chat talked about. Just need more information on it.. I cant even find out when the next charlie chat will take place....

I know the guys at dish are busy trying to work on bigger and better issues then 3d, but it would be nice if they kept the customers informed. They have a 3D page on their website, but you can only find it by doing a google search...

C'mon man, its just frustrating to be a prefered customer, and not know what is going on, so i am trying to get my little squeaky voice heard by someone!.

I dont think i would ever jump ship to direct tv, i think they offer better channel packages for a few more bucks a month, but i am happy with the customer service when i do call, and i really like the dvr service with dish.. Plus my father in law installs dish network, so i almost cant!

Also just playing around with my Blu Ray movies in 3d, i have notices that some movies are WAY better in 3d then others. A good source of information on 3d for blu ray is www.blu-ray.com Most of the Sony 3d movies are awesome in 3d...

Another 3D fan here. The ONLY 3D Dish offers is VOD with the 922 receiver ($7.99:eek:) and that receiver will cost you a minimum of $200 upfront, $4 MORE @ month and will require a service call for another $95 or $15 IF you have the service plan, which I believe is ANOTHER $6 @ month. I really don't want to switch to Direct either, I really prefer Dish equipment but I sure wish they'd get some 3D like all of the competition! :rolleyes:

Ed

i pay $17 a month now to "lease" 2 vip 622's so it cant be any more a month i wouldnt think.

I am waiting for the new receiver to come out that Charlie talked about in the last chat..

Im not paying upfront for it. I would assume, and i could be wrong, but i am not under contract, so dont they usually give you the reveiver for little to nothing for an 18 month commitment?

Dish is not in a hurry to go 3D yet because they sales of 3DTVs (and other 3D equipment) haven't been doing well. I think if sales of 3DTVs start going up, Dish will then add 3D channels.

DISH needs to add some FREE 3D content to pacify its 3D customers, even if it is a selection of 3D VOD. $7.99 3D movies does not cut it.

DIRECTV is the leader in 3D.

i think there is enough in the market to warrent a single channel to play a few events in 3d, even if it repeated itself. Its hard to find used 3d blu ray movies on ebay, there is a demand for them.... i think there are a lot of people that have 3d, its just not getting "popular" enough with the general public. Most early adopters have it already, plus direct tv had a single channel for a long time, now they are up to 3 or 4 i think.. they wouldnt do that if they didnt have customers wanting it..... I dont think the glasses free tv's are ever going to be that good, just stick with the side by side format and start with a single channel with maybe 2 movies on it and some dumb shows, and even have advertisers make 3d commecials and make some revenue on it... just my thoughts.

Last edited:
There's already a few million 3D sets in the US and some projections are for a third of the homes by 2014; that's a few million people now who either are looking to sign on with Dish's competitors or, like me, on Dish now but seriously considering a switch to a more progressive provider since Dish refuses to provide any information about 3D plans, if any. There'll be 10 million or more within the next year; this does not seem to be an insignificant customer base, and I don't understand why Dish pretends it doesn't exist. They must realize that those who jump ship are not likely to return when and if they ever catch up to D*.

I can't speak for everybody who is an early adopter, but we really enjoy the 3D and regret we've missed 3D coverages of the Masters, World Cup, football, NCAA basketball, the Sony/IMAX channel, etc. We have hung on this long because we too like the Dish hardware better than D*, and D* doesn't carry a couple of channels we really like. But it is a year later now, the Masters is upon us again, and Dish still can't comment on any plans? The few expensive VOD movies on a 922 only is pathetic and I won't get a 922 to pay $8 for a movie.

Agree. Niche product. Profitable, maybe, but many if not most of those "3D" sets will never be used for 3D. Heck, there are still VCRs out there, blinking 12:00.

I am also a long time dish subscriber. I don't want to switch, but I don't want to go through football season this fall and miss any 3d broadcasts. Not having espnu in hd is bad enough. If dish does not at least spell out their 3d plans before the season starts I'll be making the switch.

I am also a long time dish subscriber. I don't want to switch, but I don't want to go through football season this fall and miss any 3d broadcasts. Not having espnu in hd is bad enough. If dish does not at least spell out their 3d plans before the season starts I'll be making the switch.
Well can tell you right now that unless the law suit tween Disney & E* is done you won't be seeing the ESPN stuff. May Disney lose their A on this law suit. We don't need to see them double dipping on all providers. :D

I liked what I saw at CES, they were demoing what was then called 3Dnet clips(what is now 3net)& other stuff and I started getting the bug. I'm glad I did now as 3D adds depth to movies, sure you have the occasional pop at you effects & gimmicks but the depth adds a dimension to HD that wasn't there before.

I got a great deal on a 60" Mitsubishi and got the 3d kit for free. I did not think my family would use the 3d much at all. After my 4 year old saw her first cartoon on it and jumped all around the living room trying to touch and catch what ever appeared to be flying out of the tv we have all been hooked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)