New releases on HBO, Cinemax and Showtime

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by mfoster711, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mfoster711

mfoster711 Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

How long does it take for new release movies to get to HBO, Cinemax and/or Showtime?

I just got notice that Netflix is increasing their prices dramatically so I am thinking about cancelling it and just adding a movie channel to my Dish account. I am curious how long after Netflix normally gets a new release until it shows up on Dish. Keep in mind, Netflix already has to wait 28 days after a movie is release to DVD before Netflix will have it. How much longer after this will the movie channels get new movies. Also, which premium has the most new releases. Does HBO get them before Cinemax or Showtime?

2. nmfiredawg

nmfiredawg Pub Member / Supporter
    Pub Member / Supporter

I was thinking of the same thing, or go to Blockbuster for 11.99 since they get them on the day they come out. Will be giving up streaming with Netflix new pricing

3. ckhalil18

ckhalil18 SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

Usually take about 9-12 month for a movie to go from the big screen to a premium channel like HBO. Usually HBO gets them about the same time as the others. Now keep in mind that HBO and Cinemax show the same movies because they're from the same company so doing HBO and Max ONLY won't be the best deal. In my opinion, Showtime has become the worst premium for new movies and Starz is just OK/fine. Here's how I would rank the 4 big premiums.
    1. HBO
    2. Starz
    3. Cinemax
    4. Showtime
    I know this is a little more info than what you wanted, but hey, better to know now than to get screwed later, right?:D

4. Darrell S

Darrell S Geaux Tigers
    Pub Member / Supporter

The reason Showtime has become the worst for new movies is Epix bought the rights to several studios they had the rights to.

5. Yespage

Yespage Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
    Pub Member / Supporter

I don't believe Netflix has become more expensive to stream, just to stream and get DVDs.

If you had the stream and DVD and drop to just streaming, you save a couple bucks now. I think I'll be just dropping to streaming.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. andrewj0781

andrewj0781 Active SatelliteGuys Member
    Pub Member / Supporter

I'm dropping their DVD mail service. I use streaming more now anyways. If I need a movie that bad there's always Blockbuster, Family Video, blockbuster express or red box.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

7. jerryez

jerryez Supporting Founder
    Supporting Founder

Plus you can always go see the movie in the theater if you are really in a hurry!

8. StonesCat

StonesCat Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

I looked at Netflix a while back, and the streaming options are basically Epix and Starz libraries. Epix is one(two/three) of a bunch of good movie channels in platinum, and Starz is free anyway, so I figured what's the point. On Dish online besides.

9. whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214 SatelliteGuys Guru
    Pub Member / Supporter

imo i would put starz ahead of hbo but not by much :) and skinemax last :D :)

10. dennispap

dennispap Active SatelliteGuys Member
    Pub Member / Supporter

VigLink badge
Sucuri