New SC Install on 2 Story Office

camweb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 14, 2005
ThunderBay.ON.CA
I've inherited a bit of a problem and hope you guys can help answer a few of my questions.

I'm going to install a new SC system on the roof of a two story office building. I have no issues with lines of sight, and mounting the dish shouldn't be a problem.

We'll likely get a tripod and anchor it to that instead of attaching it to one of the AC units which can vibrate quite a bit when running. I'm better to mount it to a tripod right? Or will a little movement be a problem?

The cable will run in from the roof through an AC duct to the second floor drop ceiling and to the other end of the building to the main boardroom and one office. The total distance is 160 feet to the office and 190 feet to the boardroom.

Will I need an in-line-amplifer? I understand that the receiver can affect this, so am I beter to get two new receivers or use two old units that they have on hand? If we were to get new receivers they would be basic DSR207 (I'm working on getting a plasma or lcd into the boardroom for HDTV and presentations and hope to upgrade to an HD unit eventually). The old units they have are both DSR411's.

Anything else I need to look out for? I'll probably get the equipment from KUSat, including the cabling.

Thanks again for your help, satelliteguys has helped me a lot with the few installations I've done.

I've inherited a bit of a problem and hope you guys can help answer a few of my questions.

I'm going to install a new SC system on the roof of a two story office building. I have no issues with lines of sight, and mounting the dish shouldn't be a problem.

We'll likely get a tripod and anchor it to that instead of attaching it to one of the AC units which can vibrate quite a bit when running. I'm better to mount it to a tripod right? Or will a little movement be a problem?

Yes, a little movement would be a problem, use the tripod.

The cable will run in from the roof through an AC duct to the second floor drop ceiling and to the other end of the building to the main boardroom and one office. The total distance is 160 feet to the office and 190 feet to the boardroom.

That is an awefully long run, I'd look into some heavier cable (can't remember what it's called, I'll look into it) for that length before I'd use an inline amp.

Will I need an in-line-amplifer? I understand that the receiver can affect this, so am I beter to get two new receivers or use two old units that they have on hand? If we were to get new receivers they would be basic DSR207 (I'm working on getting a plasma or lcd into the boardroom for HDTV and presentations and hope to upgrade to an HD unit eventually). The old units they have are both DSR411's.

Nope, the old units should work just fine as long as they are in good working order they would be no more difficult to obtain a signal with than a new unit.

Anything else I need to look out for? I'll probably get the equipment from KUSat, including the cabling.

Thanks again for your help, satelliteguys has helped me a lot with the few installations I've done.

No problem..........good to see someone else from Northwestern Ontario on here!

Is there a good way to test the old receivers? They've both been shelved for at least a few years.

So, RG11 with in line amplifiers, should I get the amplifiers that have an ac adapter or are the units that draw power from the line itself acceptable?

Thanks again.

200 feet should be no issues. Just use some good quality RG6. I have a 200 foot run with my FTA system and no issues. Don't use an amp. They can actually hinder signal

Great, I was up on the roof yesterday and besides all of the old cat bones (how cats get onto the roof of a two story building ?) there are two runs of RG-6 into the building running through the AC, so my life just got a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the help and advice.

as far as testing old receivers, just plug them in if they powere on they work, that is what starchoice told me.

I picked up my equipment from DVBSource as follows:

1 x Elliptical Dish with 2 LNBs link: http://www.dvbsource.com/Satellite-Dish/Elliptical-Dish-with-2-LNBs/

1 x 3FT Tripod includes Mast (Pole)

2 x 22KHZ Switch link: http://www.dvbsource.com/Switches/22KHZ-Switch/

RG6 throughout, I'm running a cable from each LNB into the switch and out to the receivers.

I haven't been able to crack a signal of 20. Did I buy something wrong? I tried contacting the store but their answer was to get an installer.

I have a sat finder, compass and the coordinates from KUSat and SC, I've been using the Sat B coordinates from SC.

What am I missing? I have a sinking feeling I don't have the right LNB's or dish, likely the dish as it doesn't list the degress on the arm they plug into.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help and advice.

that is the wrong dish. That dish is for ExpressVu/Dish/Direct. You need at least a 30" dish and a KU LNB.

You could use either
-2 30" or larger dishes and a 22k switch to combine them
-The SC stock dish which has 2 LNB's built in and 4 outputs

That's what I thought, I'll get one of the SC stock dishes, does it have to be 30' or will 24' be ok?

honestly a 24" will work in Thunder Bay. I installed a 24" here in Minneapolis and it worked but a 30" would be better for rain fade ;)

I have to agree with Ice, a 24" dish will work fine. Almost all the SC dishes here are the 60E (24" elliptical) except for a few real old ones. The Anik birds seem to be more powerfull than most of the FSS birds. In fact when Bev was on the Anik bird (untill about 98) they also only used a 24" dish and it had to be heavy rain to lose signal.

SC Beta IPG

Delivery to USA - Best Way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)