New Smart home service product.

Dishman1978

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 31, 2010
California
External hard drive $99.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1399059649570.jpg
    1399059649570.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 313
Nothing new about it, or WD's version. No real advantage over a $69.00 WD Elements.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific.

Also comes with a technician to hook it up and start your transfer. A box to ship your old receiver back and a mailing label. All so on an upgrade or service call a customer doesn't have to lose their programs.

The reason why I say New, never been offered onsite by a tech before.

and why is it such a big deal that you get a tech to start your transfer? I started with my 722 and transferred, very easily, the programs that I wanted to archive. I moved that EHD, very easily, to my Hopper, nothing to transfer. And, why would you need to send an old receiver back, unless you were upgrading? That box, with an upgrade is free, or at most $15..... I'm not sure what your 'selling' point is, but I'm not so sure that it belongs here either....

and why is it such a big deal that you get a tech to start your transfer? I started with my 722 and transferred, very easily, the programs that I wanted to archive. I moved that EHD, very easily, to my Hopper, nothing to transfer. And, why would you need to send an old receiver back, unless you were upgrading? That box, with an upgrade is free, or at most $15..... I'm not sure what your 'selling' point is, but I'm not so sure that it belongs here either....

My point is not many people are as technically inclined as yourself sir. And that is the whole entire point of the post. For those that are either incapable of doing this service by them selves, or are afraid of "messing something up".

And as far as in not "belonging here", I was under impression that this was a Dish discussion forum and that some people would want to hear about the new stuff from dish that is not advertised nor will most technicians will bring it up since most don't see it being in third job description to ensure the best experience possible.

Archiving isn't advertised to the general public.
A majority of the subscribers I deal with do not even know an external hard drive can be connected.
A majority of the customers I deal with do not even know a 211 can be converted to a single tuner DVR.

I'm putting it out there for people who are. Interested in it to knoemw they have the option.

And as far as in not "belonging here", I was under impression that this was a Dish discussion forum and that some people would want to hear about the new stuff from dish that is not advertised nor will most technicians will bring it up since most don't see it being in third job description to ensure the best experience possible.
You are correct sir, this is the place to do it. :)

So I'll be devils advocate, as a former tech. I agree with all of your points. Let's say you get to an upgrade, with an EHD back up. I'm assuming it would be on the work order. Customer has a 722. That's a 17 point w/o. Hard drive is full. Customer wants to save all 749 episodes of 16 and pregnant/teen mom. It will take 7 hours for you to back up 722 HD, then install node/HWS/Joey and do customer ed. How can that possibly be worthwhile?

EHD transfers aren't instantaneous, and someone is going to be standing around twiddling their thumbs.

I mean does Dish really expect you to sit around and wait for these things to transfer? F that.

No you won't have to sit and wait. Odds are, you will hook it up and start the transfer and leave it going and educate them on how to hook it up to the new box when the transfer is done.

Ok,Seagate DVR Expander,WHO is selling it? Seagate website & Amazon sure aren't. The ONLY DVR Expander that one can find nowadays is the Western Digital one.
Dish is selling it as a Smart Home product.
No you won't have to sit and wait. Odds are, you will hook it up and start the transfer and leave it going and educate them on how to hook it up to the new box when the transfer is done.

Yep. The tech won't wait for it to finish.

My point is not many people are as technically inclined as yourself sir. And that is the whole entire point of the post. For those that are either incapable of doing this service by them selves, or are afraid of "messing something up".

A majority of the subscribers I deal with do not even know an external hard drive can be connected.
A majority of the customers I deal with do not even know a 211 can be converted to a single tuner DVR.

I'm putting it out there for people who are. Interested in it to knoemw they have the option.

Thanks for sharing the info Dishman, while us satellite guys know some of the unique features of Dish, who could live without EHD :) I know when I talk to folks about my EHD with my DVR I get some strange looks :D

Its always good for Folks who work on the front lines to share new products and services

So I'll be devils advocate, as a former tech. I agree with all of your points. Let's say you get to an upgrade, with an EHD back up. I'm assuming it would be on the work order. Customer has a 722. That's a 17 point w/o. Hard drive is full. Customer wants to save all 749 episodes of 16 and pregnant/teen mom. It will take 7 hours for you to back up 722 HD, then install node/HWS/Joey and do customer ed. How can that possibly be worthwhile?

EHD transfers aren't instantaneous, and someone is going to be standing around twiddling their thumbs.

I mean does Dish really expect you to sit around and wait for these things to transfer? F that.

According to the training....

On upgrades place the receiver to the side, plug it in to power and the drive into power and the drive into the receiver and start the transfer.
Leave old box, leave shipping label, leave packing instructions. Educate customer on how to move drive to new receiver when done and to ship box back so they don't get charged for old receiver.
So no, no waiting around.
Along with all the other services and products IHS techs now offer (lots of subs too) it's designed to help the customer get the most out of their tv service.

Ok,Seagate DVR Expander,WHO is selling it? Seagate website & Amazon sure aren't. The ONLY DVR Expander that one can find nowadays is the Western Digital one.

On the van during tech visits, the tech will have option to offer the product.

As some of you folks out there know, I am not feeling the best the last few days. Dishman please accept my apology for my tirade yesterday. Of course you have a point about options.....

As some of you folks out there know, I am not feeling the best the last few days. Dishman please accept my apology for my tirade yesterday. Of course you have a point about options.....

Hope you get to feeling better my friend!!!!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Dish should offer more services like this because the vast majority of the subs don't even know they can transfer recordings, as well as a whole lot of other features. The real world is filled with "non-techies" or people who just don't want to deal with what they see as something intimidating or complicated such as trying to figure out WHICH HDD to buy and what size and bend down and squeeze behind the tight space, and "Where do I plug this in?" and probably mess up the other connections in an attempt to get the HDD connected. Yeah, lots more "services" like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts