peid said:
So we lost stretch modes in SD?

We had:

1. Gray Bar
2. Normal
3. Stretched
4. Partial Zoom
5. Full Zoom

We are now down to 2 modes? That stinks! I used either normal or stretched all the time.

I think He was talking about SD outputs. Svideo/Composite now supports 2 modes. I don't think we lost anything but gained two modes on the svideo inputs. Before there was none. Left it up to the TV to do the stretching.

THats how I read it.

peid said:
So we lost stretch modes in SD?

We had:

1. Gray Bar
2. Normal
3. Stretched
4. Partial Zoom
5. Full Zoom

We are now down to 2 modes? That stinks! I used either normal or stretched all the time.

No, I think what he is saying is we HAVE GAINED 2 stretch modes for svideo/composite outputs. Keep in mind WE HAVE NEVER HAD stretch modes for these 2 outputs yet. Don't confuse this with SD output over HD outputs (dvi, component). I'm fairly sure that the stretch modes for those outputs should still be the same.

WeeJavaDude said:
I think He was talking about SD outputs. Svideo/Composite now supports 2 modes. I don't think we lost anything but gained two modes on the svideo inputs. Before there was none. Left it up to the TV to do the stretching.

THats how I read it.

Gotcha!

My bad. I don't have it hooked up to anything but Component so I didn't know I guess.

I'll go back to my corner for a time out.

peid said:
Gotcha!

My bad. I don't have it hooked up to anything but Component so I didn't know I guess.

I'll go back to my corner for a time out.

I don't use my svideo or composite either. Since this is and HD receiver, I personally feel component/DVI is the only way to to. However, I know others have other needs and use the svideo/composite. Guess this is why Dish added this feature. Personally I would have rather E* spend the resources on adding the ability to set output resolution independent for SD and HD. This way you can have 480p for SD and 1080i for HD material. To me this feature has adds more value for an HD receiver or stretch modes for Sd outputs. But i guess Dish saw this feature as more important to their user base.

I do have a VCR hooked up to the svideo, but I have only used it once or twice in the last year. ;)

WJD, you can only output 480P on the component or DVI side. You can't go progressive on S-Video or composite. Are you saying you'd like two sets of component/DVIs. That's a hardware change.

Bobby said:
WJD, you can only output 480P on the component or DVI side. You can't go progressive on S-Video or composite. Are you saying you'd like two sets of component/DVIs. That's a hardware change.

No.. what I am saying is that I would like to be able to set my SD channels to output on 480p and my HD material to output at 1080i. This way my TV will do the upcast on the SD material.

I was not talking about svideo and composite physical outputs. This would all be through the DVI and component outputs.

Make sense?

Just got home and checked mine...got 269. Definately time to readjust the settings, as the pic is now insanely bright thru DVI.

Channel 100 shows up now, but the main graphics that show on the channel headers, and on the music channels is still the old cheap looking text. I thought that the software that added the Dish Home Interactive also added the spiffy looking interface like the 322 has. Oh well. I know that's not much...just always thought the graphics (or lack thereof) looked cheap on the 811...especially on the music channels.

WeeJavaDude said:
No.. what I am saying is that I would like to be able to set my SD channels to output on 480p and my HD material to output at 1080i. This way my TV will do the upcast on the SD material.

I was not talking about svideo and composite physical outputs. This would all be through the DVI and component outputs.

Make sense?

Ok, now I see. That would be very cool. If the 811 could do that on the fly you would never need the S-Video or composite except for outboard units like VCRs.

WeeJavaDude said:
Any noticable improvment on SD material through Component/DVI? (Very subjective Question for sure).

Can you check the screen where you set the resolution and format. Is there any new settings there?

No, no new settings... no change from my perspective on SD materials through Component.

Very annoying feature....

Now when I hit the * key to change the format, it gives me a semi-transparent pop-up saying that I can use page up to change the resolution on the HD outputs and page down to change the resolution of the SD outputs...

It very disruptive... I wonder how long they will have it doing that?

snathanb said:
Very annoying feature....

Now when I hit the * key to change the format, it gives me a semi-transparent pop-up saying that I can use page up to change the resolution on the HD outputs and page down to change the resolution of the SD outputs...

It very disruptive... I wonder how long they will have it doing that?

Because they have split the function between SD and HD, I believe they want to teach you to use the page up-page down instead of the * like we are all used to. If you simply use the page up-page down you don't get the pop up. It's just a new way to do something and we need training. ;)

Bobby said:
Because they have split the function between SD and HD, I believe they want to teach you to use the page up-page down instead of the * like we are all used to. If you simply use the page up-page down you don't get the pop up. It's just a new way to do something and we need training. ;)

problem is, I'm using a universal remote that doesn't have the page up/page down keys....

No big deal.. I had manually mapped the "Format *" keycode to this remote, I just replaced it with the "page up" keycode.

For those using JP1 remotes and have mapped the format code to your remote, you may want to change it to EFC code 179, which is the page up code.

The format keycode is EFC 110, Page Up is 179, Page down is 178

snathanb said:
problem is, I'm using a universal remote that doesn't have the page up/page down keys....

No big deal.. I had manually mapped the "Format *" keycode to this remote, I just replaced it with the "page up" keycode.

For those using JP1 remotes and have mapped the format code to your remote, you may want to change it to EFC code 179, which is the page up code.

The format keycode is EFC 110, Page Up is 179, Page down is 178

I taught my Sony AV3000 to have the page up on channel up and page down on channel down. It works like a charm.

snathanb said:
No, no new settings... no change from my perspective on SD materials through Component.

Damn was hoping for the ability individually set the Output for SD and HD Material. Maybe next update. :(

Thank goodness they updated the svideo/composite funtionality. :rolleyes:

Has 269 lost video on anyone? I just turned it on and I get no programming video. I get all the OSG and menus, but just black on all channels except analog OTA.

Spotbeam? What is it

Wrongly named recordings??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)