New surround sound speaker set

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I am looking at buying a new set of speakers- either 5.1 or 7.1. Old speakers are 17 years old.

First Question: Do any DVDs or DVD Audios come as 7.1? Or is this just available on HD-DVD or Blu-ray?

Second Question: Is it really worth it to go to 7.1? Use will be mostly movies (Star Wars, SciFi, romance like Dangerous Liaisons), TV, some music- most of that either classical or Yes/Moody Blues etc.

My current receiver is a JVC RX-8020VBK. This is a 5.1/"6.1" system, and it does have a subwoofer line out. I expect within a year to replace this receiver, probably with a Denon (3807?) or other 7.1 system, if 7.1 is really worth having.

I have auditioned B&W and Klipsch. I found the latter to be "brighter" and more directional, and prefer them. I am also considering JBLs and am open to other suggestions. However, my timeline has moved up and I might be buying tomorrow. My budget goal is $2,000 but my absolute max is $3,000. I am disinclined to buy from eBay for this. I prefer to buy only from authorized sellers at this price point, and will pay a bit more to buy from a local store.

The system I am leaning to is as follows:
RF-82 front speakers 2 @ $470 apiece
RC-62 center speaker 1 @ $430
RS-42 surround speakers 2 or 4 @ $215 apiece
RW-12 subwoofer 1 @ $650

So before tax, we're looking at $2,450 or for 7.1, $2,880.

Third Question: What do you think of this system- quality, prices and suitability for intended use?

Fourth Question: The rear (and side, if I get them) speakers have keyhole mounts. The sales critter suggested I just put a screw in the wall and hang them, rather than use a mount. This would mean the bottom of the speakers would touch the wall. Which approach is "better."

Fifth Question: I currently plan to run 14 gauge, to be bought "somewhere" but not HD and not Monster brand. Is there really any difference to be obtained by using bare wire to the speaker terminals, vice spade lugs or banana plugs?

I've just completed some online pricing. If I trusted Brand Electronics, I might save about $150 overall, buying a 5.1 system- assuming the shipping charges include insurance. I know nothing about them. Some other online folks are even cheaper, but I don't know/trust them, and I'm not sure they really have them in stock.

Oddly, Brand Electronics sells the sub for $525 plus $40 shipping. That alone is $85 of the roughly $150.

At that estimated max savings, I'd pay the extra to deal with a local shop. Or go with a totally different set of speakers.

Those Klipsch are rockin' speakers. I have a lot of respect for the company too. Read my interview at the top of this forum.

Good choice.

And YES! The guys I'm dealing with are authorized dealers!

I'd never buy speakers off eBay!

Nice interview. And I think I'm gonna subscribe to Home Theater Magazine tomorrow. I wish I'd done that months ago, when I first started this process. They seem to cover stuff I'm looking at buying.

Thank you!

I will not be buying today. I will consider buying in a week.

I've been actively pursuing this for months. It's just that now I've gotten tired of reading and researching. Seemed like time to get off the dime, as it were.

I do not consider myself to have the greatest hearing, or even the hearing from when I was 20. I want a system that will sound good to guests, who may be more discriminating, as well as to me. Frankly, I was quite surprised that I could readily tell the difference between the B&W and the Klipsch.

I'm also wondering if 7.1 is worth it- where will I get a 7.1 source?

navy,
#1-DON't waste money on HT magazine! I've only seen 1 bad review in there ever, and it was about retail stores.

#2- Sub to Widescreen Review, it's a much better magazine.

#3 7.1 is definately worth it, a more enveloping sound field whether it's simulated or from a disc.

#4 Your comment on "I do not consider myself to have the greatest hearing, or even the hearing from when I was 20." is exactly right. Everybody hears differently, that's why there is no single best speaker, and why I ask people over when I do speaker reviews.

I stopped by Magnolia at BB. The guy tried pushing Definitive speakers, which sounded muddy. They also had Klipsch, but for more than the other store I visited.

The sales critter managed to say there were lots of DVD movies with 7.1 sound, and then when we examined a BD (without 7.1), say just a few movies had 7.1 sound.

You know Navy, I know we have been PM'ing and I am sorry it has taken so long to get back into the swing of things after the death in my family, but I could not agree more or add anything to what Digital Dude said above. I too vouch for making sure to at least install a 7.1 setup.

'Tis done. Thanks to all. Klipsch 7.1. After listening to Yes/Fragile/DVD Audio, I wasn't sure it was worth the upgrade. But then I listened to my favorite piece of music, Pavane for a Dead Princess, the Deodata 2 version. It was a whole new piece of music.

Tempted to go up to the next higher front speakers, but they were $800 more. Anyway, I have a one year upgrade option- full credit given to upgrade to them if I want to trade in.

Beats the "H E double toothpicks" (as Radar said) out of an online purchase.

They sound even better at home. The improvement over 17 year old speakers is truly amazing. I'll be listening to more music now, so I'll see less TV and internet.

I've really been missing out. All my music sounds new!

It's almost always the case that speakers sound better in your home, with some "real" sized room around them. Congrats on finding happiness in your speakers. I've never listened to Klipsch but I've always wanted to. I find that when the system is set up properly and sounds good I listen to way more music than I watch TV.
Enjoy!!!!

Just for fun, I called the sales critter back I bought them from. I said "Remember how you said if they didn't sound as good in my home I could return them for full credit?"

Long pause. I could almost hear the gulp. After a tentative "yes" came back, I let him off the hook: "I just wanted to let you know you couldn't get these speakers away from me at gunpoint." His relief was audible.

Sometimes, I'm just a little bit cruel. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)