new to E* -- Shortcut to delete a show?

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Hey everyone I'm a convert from D*

Question:

On my DirecTV DVR's if I pressed the the "dash" button twice it would delete a show from my list. With out having to select it then highlight delete, then press enter. Does the ViP612/722 models have such a feature?

thanks
JOhn

Press DVR 3 times, select program you want to remove, select timer then delete.

No macros. You can go online with the ViP model and view all of your recordings at once and delete in groups, or individuals or a combination thereof. You can also see how much of each program you've already watched to know if you ought to delete it. It just takes a couple mouse clicks and you can clean up your whole hard-drive, even better than the D* method you mentioned.

I do it every month or so to clean up stuff I forgot to delete otherwise. It's not exactly what you asked, but it may be better in some regards (especially if you are already getting online to do things like ask this question).

I miss those shortcuts from the DirecTV DVR. Also like pressing record once in the guide to record a single episode and record twice to record the series.

No macros. You can go online with the ViP model and view all of your recordings at once and delete in groups, or individuals or a combination thereof. You can also see how much of each program you've already watched to know if you ought to delete it. It just takes a couple mouse clicks and you can clean up your whole hard-drive, even better than the D* method you mentioned.

I do it every month or so to clean up stuff I forgot to delete otherwise. It's not exactly what you asked, but it may be better in some regards (especially if you are already getting online to do things like ask this question).

that is cool -- thanks for the info...

What about the Edit feature within the DVR list. That can erase globally. Very powerful.

If that response was not of help, sorry.

Please remember that Dish probably wanted to make it at least a little difficult or slightly cumbersome to prevent people from erasing recordings and timers too easily and accidentally. We have a lot of old folks, etc. who would be calling to complain about all the recordings they erased so easily.

What Dish really needs to do is provide the "Unerase" feature like Tivo has. I have accidentally erased only a few shows over the years, but it would have been great just immediately bring them back.

What Dish really needs to do is provide the "Unerase" feature like Tivo has. I have accidentally erased only a few shows over the years, but it would have been great just immediately bring them back.

I agree, that would be awesome! Anyone know if the 922 might start this new feature?

What Dish really needs to do is provide the "Unerase" feature like Tivo has.
Why do they need to provide an 'unerase' feature when they already provide an 'are you sure' feature for erasing?

If you are sure then you don't need to un-erase. Don't select ok if you aren't sure.

Why do they need to provide an 'unerase' feature when they already provide an 'are you sure' feature for erasing?

If you are sure then you don't need to un-erase. Don't select ok if you aren't sure.
Because after years of selecting OK it's REAL EASY to do so without even thinking about what you are doing.

Because after years of selecting OK it's REAL EASY to do so without even thinking about what you are doing.
I can understand, but you also have to select 'delete' before hand, do you also not think about what you are doing then?

What about the Edit feature within the DVR list. That can erase globally. Very powerful.

If that response was not of help, sorry.

Please remember that Dish probably wanted to make it at least a little difficult or slightly cumbersome to prevent people from erasing recordings and timers too easily and accidentally. We have a lot of old folks, etc. who would be calling to complain about all the recordings they erased so easily.

What is it with the frequent old folks comments. We have a lot of folks, young old, in between, white black, yellow, red that get confused. We even have DishSubs that unintentionally delete programs. I am sick of being ignored in electronics stores because I am past retirement age. I have virtually every gadget you can think of and you young people walk right past me even when I wave my credit card under your noses. Wow venting like that just took ten years off. Thanks. PS: I never call for tech support. If I can't figure it out I don't deserve to use it.

Last edited:
I can understand, but you also have to select 'delete' before hand, do you also not think about what you are doing then?

Let's say it this way. I usually delete a show as soon as I've watched it. So if I want to maybe save a series for several episodes, sometimes just out of habit I select delete and OK before I realize that I am doing so. Then it's too late.

What is it with the frequent old folks comments. We have a lot of folks, young old, in between, white black, yellow, red that get confused. We even have DishSubs that unintentionally delete programs. I am sick of being ignored in electronics stores because I am past retirement age. I have virtually every gadget you can think of and you young people walk right past me even when I wave my credit card under your noses. Wow venting like that just took ten years off. Thanks. PS: I never call for tech support. If I can't figure it out I don't deserve to use it.

Sorry. I only meant that older folks are often intimidated by new technology or have a difficult time learning it, as I find true with myself as I get older. Each demographic does have its own needs, and older folks don't "fool around" and I love them because they are no nonsense. They are looking for a device to do the job and is the easiest to operate and don't care for "bells and whistles." and aren't willing to take their valuable time to learn a whole lot about some device because they do have other things to do or focus on and view it as a waste of time. They want to watch TV, record it and play it back and don't want to feel out of control (like the rest of us) because it is too easy to erase or otherwise change the DVR to something they don't like, but can't change it back. They watch TV, too, and their needs should be considered in the design of DVR's.

The attitude you experience in said electronics stores really is Ageism, and it stinks. Ironically, because older people do require more simplicity or automation in products, it is often the higher end more automated models that are best for seniors because it requires less manual settings, etc. If the kids were smart, they would make sales on higher end items for older folks because that is what they really need. Instead they treat you like . . . Well ageism stinks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)