New Toshiba DLP has "jumpy" picture

slocoma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
I just bought a new TV and set it up last night (in a hurry). I hooked in my standard Dish Network signal to the coax input. I noticed that the picture jumps slightly from right to left. It's very noticeable if you put on Dish's channel guide or stare at a logo on a channel, like the ESPN logo. It's not really noticeable to action on the screen. I didnt have time to set up a DVD player through a different input to see if it still happens.

Is this caused by Dish's signal?

When I hook up a DVD player to a different input I guess I will get a better idea if this is the TV, the input, or the source.

Maybe try leaving up the Toshiba setup menu and see if that jumps as well as the video source...if yes, that helps eliminate the source as the cause of this jumping issue.

What model Tosh do you have?

Maybe try leaving up the Toshiba setup menu and see if that jumps as well as the video source...if yes, that helps eliminate the source as the cause of this jumping issue.

What model Tosh do you have?

The Toshiba setup menu doesn't jump around. It's a 42HM66.

Some plasmas and CRT's move the picture around to prevent burn in. I don't know why the DLP would do it. Could be the tuner, could be the TV.

Can you get a picture with the TV's internal tuner to compare?

I hooked up a DVD player last night via RCA inputs. The picture didn't jump around. I'll have to try some different configs this weekend.

Yeah try HDMI or some other type of video input from the Dish receiver to your TV.

Sounds like you still have an SD Receiver... No sense comparing anything untill you have a HD Receiver that will give you something decent to look at.. SD receivers and HD TV's just don't mesh well.

The Toshiba setup menu doesn't jump around. It's a 42HM66.

I have a 56HM66. It is hooked to a dish 622 in two ways. One is through a Denon receiver via the SVideo connection. The other is a direct HDMI connection from the 622. I see no picture jumping via either method.

Personally, I would avoid the RF connection because the picture is so much worse. Try hooking up sVideo and a pair of audio cables and see if it persists. Then hook up the RF directly to the broadcast antenna (if you are receiving OTA). You should see improvement both ways by doing this.

It is not uncommon with HDMI input for the picture to jump sideways from time to time. it is a quirk of the HDMI implementation. Maybe in a couple of years they will get it right - NAAAW!!

So I tried the s-video connection with the standard black receiver. The picture still jumped around. Doesn't really matter. I had the TV set up in the basement just to test it out.

I took it upstairs to put on as TV2 on my dual receiver. I couldn't get a picture. I tried channel 2, 3, 4, 66. I finally called Dish. They had me go in to the setup on the receiver and change the modulation from air to cable and now I put the TV on 73. No jumpy picture. So it wasn't the TV. It was something that the standard black receiver was doing to the picture.

Now I need to upgrade to HD.

help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Homezone 622HZ HD Overheating Solution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts