New Video Game System

Yes. It was a kickstarter project last year. I believe if you gave them $100 in the kickstarter pool you were guaranteed a console at launch for no extra charge. I can see how it would be cool for a casual gamer but obviously at $100 it won't be able to come close to anything an actual console can do.

It is really just an android box for your TV. It is designed to bring smartphone and tablet apps to the big screen with an actual controller instead of wonky touch controls. If that interests you or you are really into android games I can see the appeal. You won't be playing any of the big name AAA games on that thing though.

Have any of you guys heard of the new gaming system coming out call OUYA? http://www.ouya.tv/ Looks inexpensive and pretty cool.
Well, it's sort of out already. Backers of the system (they got funding from Kickstarter) who paid a certain amount got it already. It's been PLAGUED with problems from the controller being bad, laggy interface, not many optimized games, underwhelming hardware, and horrible wifi issues. There's been quite a bit of buyers remorse for it so far. Basically the best use people have found for it so far as been for playing emulated old video games. I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to it personally but it would be fair to say that there is quite a bit of work to be done before this thing gets ready for "prime time" so to speak

I'd like to see it work well, seems like a cool idea. I looked at there list of games and saw some emulators listed and Final Fantasy III.

You can do the same with a Wii Controller or a PS3 Controller and connect an Android tablet to a TV and do the same thing.

There are some competing devices like the one Teehar posted about here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/312923-A-new-console

That particular device is made by MadCatz and actually sounds cooler than OUYA to me. It's still $100 but it doesn't require anything to be built for their proprietary platform like OUYA does. The MadCatz one works with the existing Android stores like Google Play and the Amazon App store. That means there is a much larger variety of Apps and if you already bought it for your smartphone or tablet you won't have to buy it again for this device.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...aled?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

This still doesn't appeal to me. I don't have much interest in tablet games on my TV. Given that they are the same price, I would choose the MadCatz box over the OUYA though.

Edit: after reading the article again the MadCatz box doesn't have a set price yet. My mistake.

Last edited:
I don't know why I get so interested in games anymore anyway, I don't have enough time to play them ever. It seems whenever I do get time to play I just end up playing NCAA Football. I currently have an iPad, SNES, Gamecube, N64, Wii, DS, PS3 and XBox360. I NEED MORE FREE TIME!!! I need to geek out on games one of these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts