New Voom Install Questions

banker

Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
Just outside Memphis
The installers came yesterday and set up my Voom Sat! I do have a few questions...

According to Antennaweb.org, I am within 20 miles of the all of the digital local channels. Before installation, I could get the PBS, ABC, and UPN, with a Samsung indoor antenna. The reception was very good for the ABC station.

Post installation of the Winegard outdoor antenna, I can only get the PBS NBC stations? This morning(it was raining) I could not get anything with the outdoor ant., but could still get ABC with the indoor. I called Voom and the same installer called me later and said nothing could be done to improve it! I live about 20 miles north of Memphis, TN and feel like I should get all of the locals.

Another thing I noticed last night was horizontal lines in the picture during "Joey" on NBC and during a Disc. HD program? Any clues about this?

Also, will I improve my picture with an DVI-HDMI adapter?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Call Voom up to get a bigger/better antenna, sounds like the installer does not want to do a service call.

If your 20 miles from the towers you should get them all with the wing looking antenna. I am 20 miles also and get all locals except NBC. Its on the channel guide but says no signal when I tune to it. Dont know why. You wont get UPN ever with the Voom receiver. There is no digital signal from UPN as far as I know, wish there was, and the Voom receiver only receives digital signal from OTA antenna. I am using a dvi to hdmi adapter on mine and IMO the picture is slightly sharper than the component. I am getting some strange color drop out when switching from HD to SD but have found a work around till I replace the cable.

Update

Ok, so I called on Voom Friday with my complaint and they logged me a service call for the 15th. Shortly after I got to work, the tech called that installed the equipment and went into a long explanation about how he told me that getting the local channels was a crap shoot. I was reluctant to agree with him, but did in hopes the reception would get better over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the reception was nonexistent over the weekend. I probably did 100 scans looking for locals and never got one. Although I did pick up ABC all weekend and CBS with in and out reception on my indoor antenna! So mid-day saturday I called Voom back and the csr said he would do an upgrade to multi-directional adapter?

The service call is scheduled for Thursday......

I do hope this is not the start of a rocky relationship!

Since I still have my D* hooked up, if I get a digital reciever for it, will the non-HD channels look better on my HD set? Before the Voom was installed, they looked terrible.

Did you try reaiming the antenna, if you can access it. Sometimes it takes some playing around to see which position is the best for you to receive all stations. Did you go to www.antennaweb.ord and check all the digital stations for your area and the angle they are located from your house. Print this out and give to the install and hopefully he/she will have a compass to check the angle.

I have the Winegard 2200 and the installer had it pretty tight. I looked at it but could not figure out which end needed to be pointed the right direction? Right now the ends are pointing E-W and most of the stations are South?

Its possible the antenna is pointing opposite of what it should be. It looks the same on both sides so if you have access to it, try rotating it 180 deg. The ends should be east/west if your stations are south. One of the long edges is what points at the stations. Not sure which since its not in front of me.

Banker,

I live in southaven MS. Which is about 20-30 miles from the Memphis towers. these are the Digital stations I am receiving without any problems:

3-1, 3-2 WREG-DT CBS
5-1 WMC-DT NBC
10-1, 10-3 WKNO-DT PBS
24-1 WPTY-DT ABC
30-1 WLMT-DT UPN
50-1, 50-2
50-3, 50-4 WPXX-DT PAX

The antenna I am using is the Radio Shack 15-2160 antenna, along with the Channel Master 7777 amplifier.

The above is installed in my attic. hope all this helps

BTW do not expect to receive FOX 13, they are xmitting at a very very low power level.

Jerry

Thanks for the response. I hope this Thursday's call will solve the problem. I really think it a wiring thing. When he did the install and set up my HD Sony, the first scan yielded all of the stations at 88-90%, but then something happened? He scanned the other TV's and got nothing. He then said he did not want to scan the Sony again so as not to mess it up. Of course while he was still there, I was checking out the Voom channels.

You may want to take a shot at requesting a different installer this time around. I had twice a real "Eeeyore" of a service caller that was very depressing and pessimistic who kept telling me that VOOM sucked, I'd never get OTA (though I am downtown), & the sky was falling.

I finally called Installs requested a different service rep, which they easily agreed to. I got my initial installer, who was great, upgraded my antenna, and I've been mostly happy ever since. Might be worth a shot...

The Saga Continues........

Well the tech came out yesterday with my new "upgraded" antenna. Much to my dismay, he installed in on my fence, but undoubtedly did not have something he needed to finish the job. I got home after dark last night and did not feel like investigating. This morning I noticed that the new antenna looked like it was connected, which is funny, because I still was not getting any locals!!

I will cross my fingers that when he returns today he gets it right.

Sean needs to get you in touch with Wilt. This is ridiculous. At your distance from the towers a coat hanger should work. Infact you should be suffering from signal overload if anything. LOL

Now I am getting angry.....

I just talked to the tech on the phone and he is on the way to the house. He told me, "the antenna he had put up was not as good as the intial antenna, and was not amplified". I just do not understand this as being an upgrade? He told me that I just would not be able to pick up locals in my area? This will not be acceptable to me if so and I will be back to D*!

Hey, "banker",

It's not clear to me what is going on with your installation. Have you checked antennaweb.org to see what OTAs are available in your area and what type of antenna is recommended? Have you talked to a VOOM CSR? Or Installs, Inc.?

I'm sure any number of people here will help you out if you can give us the specifics. Depending on where you live you might want to check the In Your Area forum and check about specific installers.

Hope you get your problems resolved and can enjoy your locals transmitting HD as well as off the VOOM satellite.

Still watching HDTV under mostly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

banker said:
I just talked to the tech on the phone and he is on the way to the house. He told me, "the antenna he had put up was not as good as the intial antenna, and was not amplified". I just do not understand this as being an upgrade? He told me that I just would not be able to pick up locals in my area? This will not be acceptable to me if so and I will be back to D*!
Why would you believe anything this tech says?
In your initial post you mentioned that you were getting three stations with an indoor antenna. If these were digital channels, you should certainly be able to get at least those ones with the Voom-supplied antenna. If nothing else, hook that antenna (the original indoor one that got three channels) up to the Voom box, slap the installer on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper, and call him a 'tard. Good luck.

Happy Ending!

I knew I was right!! The tech came, hooked up the adapter to the new antenna and then scanned for locals....nothing!

Then he proceeded to tell me that I probably needed to call in another service call to deal with what was probably not the antenna. So I proceeded to tell him that I had already told Voom Cust Serv. that I thought it was in the wiring and that I was very angry with the initial installer for not wanting to come back out to fix his botched job.

He then agreed to go upstairs and take a look. He estimated that the problem was indeed the wiring and suggested some things he might be able to do, but wasn't sure he would get paid for it. So I assured him that I would pay him today if he could get it fixed. To end this long story, he changed out both switches(which were both burned out) and like magic the locals all appeared-even NBC 5.1!

Thanks for all of the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)