New waiver system at DirecTV for HD DNS ? ? ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
UPDATED: New waiver system at DirecTV for HD DNS ? ? ?

This morning on the DirecTV website I noticed that Houston had been added to the list of cities that can receive CBS & NBC DNS HDTV. ( Used to be FOX & ABC only ) I only receive FOX however because some local POS low-power UHF ABC station that don't even broadcast in HD won't approve my waiver.

Since I live 150 miles from Houston and can't get Houston HDTV by antenna, I called Hi-Def eligibility to see what the deal was. The helpful CSR explained he couldn't give me CBS & NBC DNS yet, he explained that they are putting a new computer waiver system in place which will allow any customer to apply for a HDTV DNS waiver. He said it should be complete in a few weeks.

So I guess anyone will be able to call in and apply for waivers. He explained the system will go by physical address, not zip code. They will not be restricted by the "owned & operated" station list anymore.

Note: I also posted this in the "Can I get Distant Network HD or Not?" thread

UPDATE:
I just called again today ( 4-5-05 ) and got CBS and NBC HD added, the new system is in place.

Check the D* website for HD locals, a lot of cities have been added. Most of us will have to call and request them though, some of us will be added automatically.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV_localchannels.dsp

houselog442

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 21, 2005
Titusville, FL
that list on the markets eligible is wrong. They made a mistake when they updated those pages because those are the markets eligible for FOX HD. I can even prove it cause it says markets eligible for NBC HD has ocala fl in it. Problem is, there is no NBC in ocala or anywhere in the Gainesville dma

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
If you don't have a NBC station in your area, and your city is on the updated list, you should get NBC HD automatically when you call in, without having to wait on a waiver.

Why don't you call the Hi-def # and ask?

Grisbane

Apr 6, 2005
No luck with DirecTV

I called the HD 1-800 number and was told I needed to get vouchers even though I live in the Atlanta area.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
After more phone calls to D*, and speaking to a knowledgable tech, I got some issues clarified:

Some people will get DNS HD added automatically when calling. Most will have to wait on a waiver ( submitted by D* ) to be approved or rejected by one or more stations. You can still get a paper waiver and mail / fax it in to D*.

Because you are asking for a waiver for DNS HD, they have to submit the waiver to any same network station that claims your area.
Example: My ABC Houston affiliate approved my waiver, but another ABC affiliate that "claims" my area denied my waiver. so the waivers may be submitted to more than one station. There was a thread here a few months back about a person in Austin Texas having similar problems.

Eventually any D* sub will be able to request a waiver for DNS HD. this is approved or denied by your local networks based on your physical address, not mailing address. Supposedly you can request a signal test if denied, just like the old system of asking for analog DNS locals. I don't know why D* is being City specific right now.

Used to be the D* computer systems would not let the techs submit a waiver unless the "local station" was O&O. ( I could only request ABC and FOX in the past ) Now you can request a waiver to be submitted by D* even if the "local network" is not O&O.

All I know is that I got CBS & NBC DNS HD added by asking, so I'm basically happy. It is better than just getting FOX DNS HD only. It don't hurt to make a phone call and try, even if you've been turned down by D* before now.

philhu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I live in Boston

I had cbs and fox already

Called, and they are sending in a waiver for me for NBC and ABC

CBS is the station that would deny, funny it was already approved, but I think, it is a O&O station, and that is why

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
Well regardless if D* website had errors or not. I was able to get CBS & NBC added with a phone call asking for waivers to be submitted on my behalf, and I live in the "Houston" market.

philhu, let us know how it works out with your waivers. I had to call to get CBS & NBC turned on, it didn't automatically come on when the waivers were approved for some reason.

z71tahoe193

SatelliteGuys Guru
Supporting Founder
Jun 10, 2004
Lubbock, TX
Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll give it a shot. I just got an HD-tivo switched from voom and I live in Lubbock,TX. My CBS and ABC are owned by the same affiliate that does not plan on doing HD any time soon. Can anyone give me advice on "moving". I really have been wanting those channels because I can not even get the digital version of CBS and occaisonaly get ABC. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts