New Wally update

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
It seems my Wallys have finally updated for the first time since last May. Version W570 is indicated. I don't notice any significant visual changes. I will spend some time tomorrow putting the tricks thru their paces and see if the skip and jump are finally working correctly. Anybody notice any marked improvements?

Well I've checked out some things since the "update" and it's not good. Everything is slower. Push the Guide button and it's a good 6-9 seconds before anything happens. Scrolling the guide to the right is sometimes a stumbling process. It will scroll 3 or 4 programs then hang a few seconds, then continue on. Not always but often enough. Contrary to the settings it will shut down whenever it feels like it to update the guide. I'll be watching a show, a commercial comes on, I go out in the kitchen to get a snack, and when I come back the receiver is shut down and there is a box on the screen that says the guide is being updated. What!? Jump forward is 30 seconds but jump back is hit or miss, either 10 seconds or sometimes 30 seconds, no way of predicting. 9 months we waited for this "update" and it went backwards. Very disappointing. Combined with all the issues with other receiver updates, this poor Wally update, and all the problems with the Plus tells me there is a serious lack of skills in the programming department.

The UI (User Interface) is the face of the business - picture quality, channels provided, signal reliability, etc, don't add up to a hill of beans if the UI doesn't work. How many times have you read on this forum how somebody picked one streaming stick over another because the UI worked better? That's because it is the customers view of the service. It's like a really nice restaurant that you have trouble getting into because the door keeps jamming. Eventually you get frustrated and go somewhere else no matter how good the food. It is past time for Dish to do something about it's poor software, way past time.

My Wally has a general 'sluggishness' about it as well. I thought it was just mine. Not having the shutdown problems you are having, but you are dead on about the skip back function. I've reduced my TV watching to just an hour or two before bed so, to me, these are just minor annoyances.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm not 100% sure, but try going into the options, selecting the 'power' option, and set it to NEVER shut off automatically. If it can't go into standby, that *may* prevent the update.

I'll double check when I log in tomorrow.
That would work American Girl, but you would have to leave the Wally powered on continuously. That Standby timing is for idle viewing. Once you power the Wally down it will update if it is there. As an example, I have all of my equipment, Hopper and Joeys set to Never and when I shut them down they update when available.

Reactions: That American Girl
That would work American Girl, but you would have to leave the Wally powered on continuously. That Standby timing is for idle viewing. Once you power the Wally down it will update if it is there. As an example, I have all of my equipment, Hopper and Joeys set to Never and when I shut them down they update when available.
That is true. Hmm...I know there's probably a way to still do this. I'll ask some other techs when I log in tomorrow, cause I already see issues with this last update.

Fun times....

That would not work being my Wally is for my RV and I have to power it off each time I travel to a new location. It has been turned off since November. I will power it back on in March for my first trip.

Ouch, mine updated a couple of days ago, I have noticed a definite slow down going thru the menus. DVR functionality is also screwy sometimes it works, and sometimes it don't. Also when it does work it seems to just a few minutes rather then a few seconds. I use

Hopefully this is a work in progress and they will issues another update after Dish gets a number of subscriber complaints. lol

Wally doing some crazy things with the guide. I have set up a favorites channel list that has all the crap locked out and only shows what I care to watch and also has all the pay stuff locked out. It seems that almost every day I have to go back to the menu and switch from None to my list?? It for some reason always switches from my list to the none list.

Any Ideas, or is this perhaps another bug in the W570 firmware?