Newbi Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greghowell1359

Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
I just upgraded to directv hd today. I have a 37''LG LCD display with a top setting of 1080i and i have a few questions. I will be hooking my reciever to my hd set via an hdmi cable. Will the reciever upscale SD channels to HD and display SD channels in 16:9? Right now with an SD reciever and composite cables the channels look blurry and grainy with a black bar on the left and right sides of the screen. Can anyone answer my questions? Thanks

hit the format button on the remote til it says 1080i stretch. as far as the sd channels, you will see some graininess compared to the hd channels. its how the networks broadcast their shows. hopefully your tv will work well with the hdmi cables. i stumbled on one lg lcd and all it gave was video but no sound. if thats the case use component cables, theyre suppose to be supported by all resolutions.

Actually, I think most people prefer to watch in the origin aspect ratio, that is, don't stretch the picture. Leave sd programming with the bars on the sides. If you stretch the picture, the images look too distorted. Some do use the panoramic setting, which leaves the middle of the picture normal and stretches the outer thirds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)