Newbie thinking of putting up your HDTV AT9 Dish ? Think twice or Forget it !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tryinghard

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 17, 2004
S.E. PA
First off I am not a installer but I did a decent job installing my 2 LNB dish, when a DirecTV installer drop off my HD20 and AT9 Dish, I told him I would install it later since it will be a few months till I get HD, I made sure the HD20 would work on my two LNB phase II dish before hand. (my sony unit took a dip after 6 years on one sat), so D* sent me out this unit for free except for $15 shipping and the 2 yr thing.

As for the install when I saw the video on Solid Signal on dish alignment ! well I think to do the job really right you need some equipment to max out the signals, they are using a tracking meter Acutrac22 PRO $110 to $130 range.

There are 5 movies that you can watch on site or down load, the one to look at is #3:

Video Segment 03 - Alignment of new DIRECTV Ku/Ka Band Dish
Connecting the multi-sat LNBs, determining dish settings
Aligning the dish for both Ku and Ka frequency bands
Fine-tuning the dish for narrow Ka band reception

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

Good luck, I am still undecided which way to go buy the meter or pay an installer $25 to align it.

cj

I'm no installer but i got it done. The instructions seem complicated but once you get up there and get the dish together its not to bad. I didnt have any extra equipment such as signal meter. I just used the h20 receiver. I had my wife watch the signal reading and called my home phone on my cell phone to talk to her.. When i 1st got the dish and read instructions i thought holy crap there is no way i'm gonna be able to do this, but surprizingly it was pretty easy. Just make sure your mast is level. I spent about an hour doing it, for $25 it might be worth it to let them do it, but i didnt have that option.

Newbie thinking of putting up you HDTV AT9 Dish ? Think twice or Forget it !

dbthurman

<"Just make sure your mast is level">

That just might be the number one problem with many self-installs : -)

I am not surprise you got a signal but from the video the alignment between the two sat’s there is such a difference in the “Arc” that is why they recommend a meter (dual reading type), remember a signal (on the Ku wider) is one thing a peak on Ka (narrow) is another, what is the end result of both strong signals ? is less rain fade. Do you have a signal on the Ka ?

cj

Who recommends a dual reading meter? I read the manual over and over with no mention of a dual meter. The instructions seem to be written for a single meter and I don’t see how a dual would work with an AT9 install. Does anyone even make a meter yet that covers the 250-750 band?
Bob

Newbie thinking of putting up you HDTV AT9 Dish ? Think twice or Forget it !

<”Bob”>

<”Who recommends a dual reading meter? I read the manual over and over with no mention of a dual meter. The instructions seem to be written for a single meter and I don’t see how a dual would work with an AT9 install. Does anyone even make a meter yet that covers the 250-750 band? Bob “>

Did you go to the link ? these video’s are for installers, check them out.

There are 5 movies that you can watch on site or down load, (12 to 18 Mb each) the one to look at is #3:

Video Segment 03 - Alignment of new DIRECTV Ku/Ka Band Dish
Connecting the multi-sat LNBs, determining dish settings
Aligning the dish for both Ku and Ka frequency bands
Fine-tuning the dish for narrow Ka band reception

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

cj

Sorry I forgot to add this:

Acutrac22 PRO Tracking Meter (ACUTRACPRO) range $110 to $149 (do a search)

AcuTrac 22 PRO

Track 2 satellites easily at once! Use AcuTrac 22 PRO for DirecWAY, DirecTV (Phase I, ParaTodas, and Phase III TripleSat dishes), Dish Network (300, 500, DishPRO and Super Dish). Features: Easy to Read LCD Display; Self-Contained Rechargeable Battery; Dual Satellite Signal Strength Measurements; Selectable Audio On-Off Tone Measures Receiver Voltage; Measures Individual LNBF Current Consumption; Switches 22 KHz On/Off; DishPRO Switching; SuperDISH Switching; Adjustable LCD Contrast; and Tests Coax Cable Runs. Includes: Instructions; AC Charger; DC Charger; 2 6 Foot Coaxial Jumpers; and Leatherette Carry Case

If you want to take a look at the owners manual you can DL it at:

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/DOWNLOADS.htm

a little more than half-way dn the pg.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts