Newer DPP LNB's.

The DPP LNBs offer each port to 2 tuners. You could run two cables from the dish, but honestly would be wasting cable at that point. So that is why the seperator would be "necessary".

There is not, and never will be, an LNB that will eliminate the need for a separator, if you are using a receiver that needs one (any receiver with 2 satellite inputs). The hopper basically has the separator built in, that is why it does not need one, has nothing to do with the LNB/Node

Edit* I should say, you can run 2 lines to the receiver and not need a separator, but you will always need a line to both ports. The exception is a 311K and a 512. They are converted 322 and 522/625 respectively, which have 2 sat. inputs, but you only run a single cable to 1 sat in port, the 2nd tuner & port has been deactivated.

Last edited:
I have a 1000.4 driving a 722 and two 612s and they all use the separator.

There is not, and never will be, an LNB that will eliminate the need for a separator, if you are using a receiver that needs one (any receiver with 2 satellite inputs). The hopper basically has the separator built in, that is why it does not need one, has nothing to do with the LNB/Node

Edit* I should say, you can run 2 lines to the receiver and not need a separator, but you will always need a line to both ports. The exception is a 311K and a 512. They are converted 322 and 522/625 respectively, which have 2 sat. inputs, but you only run a single cable to 1 sat in port, the 2nd tuner & port has been deactivated.

Unless you have a directv SWM SYSTEM

Completely irrelevant in this conversation as we are talking about Dish not DirecTV.

Dish could license the technology

I believe directv is using SWM under a licensing agreement.

First it would eliminate all the unnecessary wiring on a new installation and eliminate the need for super joeys as they could ship the extra tuners with the hopper.

"Need" is pejorative in this case. "Take advantage of" is more precise. The separator is a boon, not a negative.

Dish could license the technology

I believe directv is using SWM under a licensing agreement.

First it would eliminate all the unnecessary wiring on a new installation and eliminate the need for super joeys as they could ship the extra tuners with the hopper.

Dish chose to go a different direction, which works well for their system. SWM is nice, but with he Hopper, you don't have separators and you only have 1 line per hopper/joey. If you have 1 or 2 TV's there isn't really a need for a super joey, if you have 3 or 4, a SJ is nice. More than that, you can combine 2 or even 3 hoppers. You cannot have more than 1 genie w/DTV. For what Dish wants to do, their system is fine. Before too long, the node will be built into the LNB and their wont be much difference from an install perspective.

My sister has a 512 connected to a separator, so the 2nd tuner is definitely not deactivated, just the TV2 outputs.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts