Nexstar buys Media General

This is more of a question for Trip or someone "in the know".

In the markets where there are both a MG and a Nexstar station, can Nexstar keep the "former" MG station and sell their "current" station?
Like as example in Ft Wayne, IN Media General owns WANE (CBS) and Nexstar owns WFFT (FOX). Nexstar could say they want WANE and sell WFFT to someone (say Meredith)...right?
There is nothing that says they can't?
(usually when I see examples like these the company sells or trades the station that made the conflict)

(I'd use Bryan's example but I know Nexstar has both the FOX affiliate and a low powered NBC so for them to break that up to take the CBS there would be goofy)

COX plans to oppose the merger
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/cox-plans-oppose-nexstar-media-general/147347

Cox Communications, in the midst of a retransmission consent battle with Nexstar, is opposing Nexstar’s deal to grow more powerful by acquiring Media General.

The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and Cox plans to take its objections to the Federal Communications Commission and urges the public to complain as well.

“Nexstar is demanding Cox Communications customers pay triple the current price for retransmission consent or Nexstar will remove their signal from the Cox Communications lineup on January 29,” Cox said in a statement. “Nexstar won't even accept the very same rate that stations they manage agreed to just two weeks ago.

This is more of a question for Trip or someone "in the know".

In the markets where there are both a MG and a Nexstar station, can Nexstar keep the "former" MG station and sell their "current" station?
Like as example in Ft Wayne, IN Media General owns WANE (CBS) and Nexstar owns WFFT (FOX). Nexstar could say they want WANE and sell WFFT to someone (say Meredith)...right?
There is nothing that says they can't?
(usually when I see examples like these the company sells or trades the station that made the conflict)

(I'd use Bryan's example but I know Nexstar has both the FOX affiliate and a low powered NBC so for them to break that up to take the CBS there would be goofy)

That's correct. Media-General actually has an example of this in recent memory. They had already owned WVTM in Birmingham when they bought out LIN, owner of WIAT. They kept WIAT and sold WVTM to Hearst.

I concur with you on Bryan's example.

And as far as Cox goes, I would expect a future retrans agreement to involve Cox withdrawing their opposition to the deal.

- Trip

Reactions: Mr Tony
That's correct. Media-General actually has an example of this in recent memory. They had already owned WVTM in Birmingham when they bought out LIN, owner of WIAT. They kept WIAT and sold WVTM to Hearst.

I concur with you on Bryan's example.

And as far as Cox goes, I would expect a future retrans agreement to involve Cox withdrawing their opposition to the deal.

- Trip
WVTM is MUCH improved under Hearst. I have heard they are inching back up to #2 in news in many time slots. Under LIN, WIAT was #2, I have read they are on a slide down since MG took over again.

COX plans to oppose the merger
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/cox-plans-oppose-nexstar-media-general/147347

Cox Communications, in the midst of a retransmission consent battle with Nexstar, is opposing Nexstar’s deal to grow more powerful by acquiring Media General.

The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and Cox plans to take its objections to the Federal Communications Commission and urges the public to complain as well.

“Nexstar is demanding Cox Communications customers pay triple the current price for retransmission consent or Nexstar will remove their signal from the Cox Communications lineup on January 29,” Cox said in a statement. “Nexstar won't even accept the very same rate that stations they manage agreed to just two weeks ago.
Haha poor Cox Communications....hey I can get my favorite shows on NBC 46 (cox 3 and 1003) off Netflix.....I watch Fox on the Antenna anyway. Let them beef for awhile.....A lot of people in the Lafayette/Baton Rouge Area left Cox for ATT/Directv, Dish, and the ANTENNA...

Nexstar made the best move (and me proud) when they converted KLAF to NBC July of last year. That right there garauntee's KLFY will get sold/traded because it wouldn't make sense to have 4 of the 6 major networks on one channel (however crazier things have happened). Make no mistake about it nothing is garaunteed right now but KLAF might just be the big hero in all this Nexstar/MG consolidation, good move Nexstar......as for Cox Communications tell them to go cry a river and get off their high horse.....Let the deal go through....

These media companies are getting too big and I would side with Cox on this as retransmission consent fees and blackouts are out of control and will only get worse, the bigger these companies get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: localclassictvfan
Thanks. I figured they could but just wanted to make sure.
Most of the examples I've seen involved someone buying a station and a LMA/JSA that was already there (Like Gray buying Hoak or Quincy buying Granite/Malara) so they really got to "pick" what station they wanted

- Trip
you're probably right ;)

Not so long ago Cox bought some of the cable holdings of Media General. But I guess that was a totally different story.

Yes there are a few......Should have kept KPLC on Cox Lafayette too.
They can't and we both know why. When Nexstar signed on NBC 46 there they get the "exclusive" rights to NBC in Lafayette. Cox surely could have carried KPLC but any duplicate programming would have to be blacked out. Then you end up with like what Andy Horton has in his area (they have CBS from Atlanta on cable yet he is in the Chattanooga market) and that is a black screen outside of news.

This could work two different ways in the Green Bay, Wisconsin market:

Either Nexstar trades WFRV/WJMN for new stations upon merging with Media General...

...or Media General trades WBAY for new stations upon merging with Nexstar.

It's going to be like the LIN Media/Media General merger all over again where one of these station has to find new ownership by trading with another company. (WBAY was kept by Media General after the LIN Media merger and WLUK/WCWF was traded to Sinclair Broadcast Group in an exchange for a few stations in Florida and Colorado)

This could work two different ways in the Green Bay, Wisconsin market:

Either Nexstar trades WFRV/WJMN for new stations upon merging with Media General...

...or Media General trades WBAY for new stations upon merging with Nexstar.

It's going to be like the LIN Media/Media General merger all over again where one of these station has to find new ownership by trading with another company. (WBAY was kept by Media General after the LIN Media merger and WLUK/WCWF was traded to Sinclair Broadcast Group in an exchange for a few stations in Florida and Colorado)
I'm no expert but in the case of KLFY and WBAY, Nexstar is going to keep the Fox station. 1 for you because of the NFL team you have in the area. 2. Our fox affiliate has the NBC Low Power station and yeah we're close to the NFL team that Fox broadcasts too. KLFY and WBAY will be owned by another media group for sure...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts