NHL-CI to NOT include MSG-HD due to contract disupte

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, you can "move" and get MSG and MSG+ in HD. If you're out of the spot beam you'll lose WPIX, WWOR and WNET in HD but you'll still get FOX NBC CBS and ABC using the national feeds (at least I'm getting them here).

I really feel for you guys. The actions of the Dolans simply defy all logic.

New Guy pissed about losing HD in NYC for the Sabres.

This is what has been happening with me.

I have Directv. I have the Sportspak and NHL Center Ice.

I no longer get the MSGHD feed within the Center Ice package only Sabres in SD

Once in a while I will also get the game on 638 NYa RSN Alternate. Its always blackedout now with the HD channel 638-1, and the SD channel still comes in when that isnt blacked out.

The only way I see them in HD now is if they play on VS or NHL network.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL. Anyone have any scoop on when they will end this garbage!!!!

New Guy pissed about losing HD in NYC for the Sabres.

This is what has been happening with me.

I have Directv. I have the Sportspak and NHL Center Ice.

I no longer get the MSGHD feed within the Center Ice package only Sabres in SD

Once in a while I will also get the game on 638 NYa RSN Alternate. Its always blackedout now with the HD channel 638-1, and the SD channel still comes in when that isnt blacked out.

The only way I see them in HD now is if they play on VS or NHL network.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL. Anyone have any scoop on when they will end this garbage!!!!

Ditto. Feeling your pain but there's been no news.

If you want a taste of the Sabres in HD you can switch over to 638-1 as soon as the game is over and catch the postgame in HD.

Yes, you can "move" and get MSG and MSG+ in HD. If you're out of the spot beam you'll lose WPIX, WWOR and WNET in HD but you'll still get FOX NBC CBS and ABC using the national feeds (at least I'm getting them here).

I really feel for you guys. The actions of the Dolans simply defy all logic.

Why does this have to be the Dolans' fault? What has Gary Bettman done to deserve the benefit of doubt? He essentially took a league and the verge of breakthrough and guided it to irrelevancy.

Why does this have to be the Dolans' fault? What has Gary Bettman done to deserve the benefit of doubt? He essentially took a league and the verge of breakthrough and guided it to irrelevancy.

From what I can gather from the e-mails I've gotten here's what went down:

1) MSG had never consented to their HD feeds being used as part of NHL Center Ice
2) DirecTV was making those feeds available anyway.

My understanding, a quick google search back this up that no other provider except DirecTV ever offered any of the MSG HD feeds. According to an e-mail I got from the NHL DirecTV made these feeds available when they didn't have the rights to do so.

Now, why it took MSG so long to realize what DirecTV was doing - I'm not sure. The Islanders/Flyers game today that was listed as being available in HD was not.

My understanding, a quick google search back this up that no other provider except DirecTV ever offered any of the MSG HD feeds. According to an e-mail I got from the NHL DirecTV made these feeds available when they didn't have the rights to do so.

You're missing the point. Cable providers get Center Ice from InDemand. Dish and DirecTV negotiate with the leagues.

Since InDemand only has one channel of HD for Center Ice and Dish has no agreement to carry MSG and MSG+ in HD the only provider affected by this is DirecTV. And since the only channels affected are MSG and MSG+ this one is clearly on the Dolans. Every other HD hockey feed that DirecTV carries is available via Center Ice.

You're missing the point. Cable providers get Center Ice from InDemand. Dish and DirecTV negotiate with the leagues.

Since InDemand only has one channel of HD for Center Ice and Dish has no agreement to carry MSG and MSG+ in HD the only provider affected by this is DirecTV. And since the only channels affected are MSG and MSG+ this one is clearly on the Dolans. Every other HD hockey feed that DirecTV carries is available via Center Ice.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to take the blame off the Dolan's in the least. They made the decision to pull the content, but the story I got in an e-mail from the NHL was that DirecTV had made the MSG HD feeds available without the proper rights to do so.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to take the blame off the Dolan's in the least. They made the decision to pull the content, but the story I got in an e-mail from the NHL was that DirecTV had made the MSG HD feeds available without the proper rights to do so.

Who would you expect them to blame? Every other broadcaster has included the HD feeds with no issue. All of a sudden the Dolans decide they won't?

This isn't a "one-off" for them. They are by far the most consumer unfriendly family in the industry. They've run two premier teams into the ground (as a Devil fan I can't say I'm not enjoying it, though) and just raise cable rates to cover it.

Now they have to deal with competition and they do so with the "it's my ball and my bat" mentality with the HD feeds. I had to deal with SD feeds for years because they wouldn't allow VZ or my local cable company to carry them.

I'm still amazed that DirecTV managed to cut a deal.

Islanders game this afternoon against the Penguins was blacked out.
I wish I could have watched it on MSG plus but since I cannot get HD anymore I'll switch to the other team channels.
Too bad Fox sports New York or Sportschannel wouldn't try to get the Islanders back,MSG should have never been allowed the rights to the Islanders,Devils and Sabres.That is what we call a monopoly.
Kick the Dolans out of the NHL!!!!

Good Afternoon all. This is my first post here. I just signed up because this seems to be the only source of info on the web about this debacle.

I live in PA and am an avid Devils fan. About 2-3 weeks ago I just started noticing the Devs & Rangers HD feed getting blacked out (why watch the Islanders, really?). Of course this prompted me to call Direct TV. I got a gentleman who was stumped as to why this was happening, so much so that he sent me a new, updated, HD converter box to replace my old one. That didn't help so I called back several times as none of the CSR's had any clue as to why this was happening. I eventually got a manager on the horn who did some research and called me back, but all he could tell me was that MSG was blocking the HD feed and that it was a "management decision." He had no idea why or when/if it would be resolved. I've been looking into other options but there just isn't any other provider that offers any many quality HD channels than Direct TV.

In any case, this is still happening to my feed. Last night's HD feed of the game against the Panthers and the one prior to that were both blocked. I am getting really fed up with this BS and the fact that the NHL or MSG or Directv isn't giving any helpful info about this situation makes it all the more aggrivating.

Thanks for your info though. Keep it coming.

I also signed the petition but how 30-40 signatures is going to garner any attention from anybody is beyond me.

I feel your pain NJScoundrel. Until MSG and NHL resolve their issues, I'm afraid all out of market NJD/NYR/NYI fans will be screwed. There is no way to get these games in HD except to change your service address to NJ (MSGHD is still available to in-market directv subs.)
I switched from E* to D* a few days ago JUST to get MSG in HD for the devils and then I find they were removed from NHL CI. After signing a 2 year contract with D*, I felt like i've been stabbed in the back (though I understand it's not their fault.)

Last edited:
You would think the NHL and its owners would get on the same page.As if the lockout wasn't enough they continue the in-fighting over websites and HD service.Force the sale of the Rangers and cablevison or whatever they call it.

In a few years it won't matter because all the biggest and best channels will be in HD and if the Dolans continue to block this then they will only be hurting themselves.The fact is hockey isn't a favorite sport in the U.S. in alot of areas and border line fans will just rule out hockey with their obsolete standard defintion broadcasts in favor of other sports with HD.

You would think the NHL and its owners would get on the same page.As if the lockout wasn't enough they continue the in-fighting over websites and HD service.Force the sale of the Rangers and cablevison or whatever they call it.

In a few years it won't matter because all the biggest and best channels will be in HD and if the Dolans continue to block this then they will only be hurting themselves.The fact is hockey isn't a favorite sport in the U.S. in alot of areas and border line fans will just rule out hockey with their obsolete standard defintion broadcasts in favor of other sports with HD.

Very good points. Thanks, guys, for bumping this thread and keeping it going. This one's a big deal to me.

I'm also surprised that something hasn't been done yet given the "last place" standing of the NHL as compared to the other major pro sports ratings. As the other member posted earlier, it's ironic that Bettmen would say (during the recent "VS" broadcast) "HD feed availabilities are important to the NHL" or something to that effect.

Guys, just keeping this thread active with a question. Is is my imagination or are we going backwards in the # of available MSG-sourced feeds lately? It seems during this week that there have been a few MSG HD feeds listed on DTV's online guide that haven't been available (not the Rangers games but the Devils & Isles). The sch for tonight's games show both Devils & Rangers road gms (Devils are out on the island tonight) with SD-only feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)