Nimiq 4 strength

Has anyone checked the signals levels from 82w lately in the L.A area?
I would not mind going back to BELL via broker if the signals are strong for HD channels.

I don't have an original BELL IRD to do so myself.

Signal levels on 82W are worse than they were in Dec. '08 here in western NC.

This is on a 76cm dish. May try 120cm. Then may just drop Bell and go with StarChoice.

Well yea that I do but it just doesn't feel right doing that with a paid service ;)

No problems checking signal strengths on paid services... they are Nagra3 anyways good luck on accidentally hacking that. Swing a dish over there and hit blind scan. You can check the signals yourself there.

No problems checking signal strengths on paid services... they are Nagra3 anyways good luck on accidentally hacking that. Swing a dish over there and hit blind scan. You can check the signals yourself there.

Yep good luck with that. So if I use my Coolsat 8000 how do I set the LNB settings to?

Well as expected, no signals on ALL HD transponders from my area. Bummer.

I know enough about satellite reception to be dangerous but not enough to explain some anomalies that I experience with 82W here in Nashville. I am hoping some of you who have more experience can explain some things for me.

First, why is there a difference in signal strengths across the transponders? Is this due to different transmit power or is it because they are placed on different antennas on the satellite with a slightly different coverage?

Second, why do I see a change in strength associate with time of day? For instance TP27 comes in no problem during the day but is always the first one to drop below the receiver threshold in the evening. I know there is something called wobble but I am not sure the wobble would line up exactly such that the signal degrades at the same time each day.

Any thoughts or insights?

Nimiq 4 82 question

ok the conflicting nj/pa nimiq 4 receptions reports are continuing this should be answered today. im 50 miles north of philly and 60 miles west of nyc.... im having an installer come out shortly and install the 30 inch winguard for 82 and a regular dish for 91 . installer is very familar with bell .. hopefully the rain holds off. installer has informed i should ok with the 30 inche dish for nimiq 4...........

Hello,
I am checking with you to see if you were able to get any reception from
the 82 nimiq 4 bird. I am in NYC and can't get any signal at all.

I know enough about satellite reception to be dangerous but not enough to explain some anomalies that I experience with 82W here in Nashville. I am hoping some of you who have more experience can explain some things for me.

First, why is there a difference in signal strengths across the transponders? Is this due to different transmit power or is it because they are placed on different antennas on the satellite with a slightly different coverage?

Second, why do I see a change in strength associate with time of day? For instance TP27 comes in no problem during the day but is always the first one to drop below the receiver threshold in the evening. I know there is something called wobble but I am not sure the wobble would line up exactly such that the signal degrades at the same time each day.

Any thoughts or insights?
OnlineLC,

I too wonder the answers to your questions.

Does anyone know??

Could the time of day issue be caused by the ionosphere?!? That's what reflect AM radio signals at night, but I have no idea if it affects DBS signals.

82 is aimed north and there is no signal down south - about 2-300 miles south of the border. 91 will work down south on all transponders but the even transponders are weak. I think Bell did this to stop the Canadian Snowbirds from all switching over to Starchoice. About 7 out of 10 units are now Starchoice - in campgrounds- whereas before 9 out of 10 were Bell. Users speak with their wallets.

82 is aimed north and there is no signal down south - about 2-300 miles south of the border.
And why is that? Was it intentional?

91 will work down south on all transponders but the even transponders are weak. I think Bell did this to stop the Canadian Snowbirds from all switching over to Starchoice. About 7 out of 10 units are now Starchoice - in campgrounds- whereas before 9 out of 10 were Bell. Users speak with their wallets.
Serves Bell right. Next time I am in Montréal, I plan on buying Shaw Direct and dropping Bell Télé.

And why is that? Was it intentional?

Yes it was. Most of Canada now has a very strong signal on 82W, and even in the artic they can now use a standard size dish for 82W.

Shaw Direct is the way to go for Canadian broadcasting if you are in the southern half of the USA.

Yes it was. Most of Canada now has a very strong signal on 82W, and even in the artic they can now use a standard size dish for 82W.
So will 91W soon follow. Also why are some TPs better than others on 82W
Shaw Direct is the way to go for Canadian broadcasting if you are in the southern half of the USA.
So it appears. I know that Bell can't legally sell in the US and it makes sense for the english language programming. But the French language, that is a different story as there is nothing close available in the US.

It will probably be at least 2012 before Bell will do any changes with 91W, but I suspect that whenever they do replace the birds at 91W that they will do the same as 82W.

Most of the transponders on 82W are now using 8PSK which lowers the signal strength somewhat. Odds are the TPs that you see much stonger on 82W are not using 8PSK.

Shaw Direct does not allow subscriptions to foreign addresses, but if you have a Canadian address they have no problem with their HAFH program to have a second residence in the US or Mexico (as long as you have proof), where Bell strictly forbids this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts