Nimiq 4 strength

Today, all my 82° transponders are at max scale of 100, except #2 at 91 and #3 at 93.
Never had such strong signals; so it's surely Nimiq 4.

quick though.

you guys know how half the transponders were not on nimiq 2, but on that old DTV bird.

No chance they have moved everything to the old DTV bird, before moving over to Nimiq 4 in a few days?

Interesting write up about Nimiq 4.

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCatalog.do?sc=2008-044A]NASA - NSSDC - Spacecraft - Details

Nimiq 4

NSSDC ID: 2008-044A
Description

Nimiq 4 is a Canadian geostationary communications spacecraft that was launched by a Proton-M rocket from Baikonur at 21:48 UT on 19 September 2008. The 4.8 tonne (with fuel), 12 kW craft will provide digital HDTV to Canada and America through its 32 Ku-band and 8 Ka-band transponders, after parking over 82° W longitude.

Some one must not have gotten the "email" about the America coverage part. :D

quick though.

you guys know how half the transponders were not on nimiq 2, but on that old DTV bird.

No chance they have moved everything to the old DTV bird, before moving over to Nimiq 4 in a few days?

i like your positive thinking, but i think most of us south of the border have seen the last of 82 :(

We can certainly hope. I'm sticking with it through this weekend. If the 82 signal doesn't return by Monday morning I'm canceling and switching to SC.

Perhaps not.:rolleyes: The CS guy @ BEV said that they are still on Nimiq 2. Nimiq 4 is not in operation yet. There is supposed to be some additional mapping tonight.:confused:

I'm hopeful as well, but take what a CSR tells you with a grain of salt. They are usually the last to know anything.

I think BEV is going to have a lot of cancellations starting Monday, and SC picking up more subscribers with the end of 82 in the south. Pretty stupid on their part.

I'm hopeful as well, but take what a CSR tells you with a grain of salt. They are usually the last to know anything.

I think BEV is going to have a lot of cancellations starting Monday, and SC picking up more subscribers with the end of 82 in the south. Pretty stupid on their part.

Indeed it would be stupid.

Also, I'm surprised BEV wouldn't have it cover the U.S., so they could sell space on it occasionally when someone needs to send something via sat, why limit yourself to a smaller market?

This gets weirder...ok I just went through all TP's on 82 with the Coolsat and there is a pattern

ok..here is what I get for signals....63 is bare minimum but 65-66 is what would keep a stable signal...70-75 is really good and 82 is max

odds
1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29 all at 66 (just above threshold)
7,11,15,19,23,27,31 at 72 (all nice and strong)
3 is at 82 (???)

now here is where it gets weirder...see my above post about evens...all nice and strong...today
4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32 all at 66
2,6,10,14,18,22,26,30 all at 70-72

see a pattern??

if you start with an odd channel. If the signal is low, the next channel (an even) is higher signal
if the signal is high on that odd, the next channel (even) is lower

what the heck is going on????

from another site (Canadian TV site)

ARR posted a maintenance schedule and on it the last remap is schedule for tonight so what you will get tommorow morning will be mostly what you can or cannot get.

I had searche the Industry Canada site several months ago but could not find the tech files for Nimiq. If it were available, we could quickly extract the footprints and see why there is a problem

Industry Canada trumpets their " transparancy" but seem to go out of their way to bury what should be public data (all countries submit the satellite tech data to ITU, the international coordinating organization in a standard format).

We need a Canadian to call Industry Canada and ask for access to the files.

OTTAWA, Oct. 9 /PRNewswire/ - Telesat, the world's fourth-largest fixed
satellite services operator, announced today that it will begin commercial
service Saturday, October 11 on its state-of-the-art Nimiq 4 satellite.
Nimiq 4 is fully leased to Bell TV, which will use the new satellite to
enhance and expand its industry-leading High Definition (HD) TV channel
services across Canada.

This gets weirder...ok I just went through all TP's on 82 with the Coolsat and there is a pattern

ok..here is what I get for signals....63 is bare minimum but 65-66 is what would keep a stable signal...70-75 is really good and 82 is max

odds
3 is at 82 (???)

now here is where it gets weirder...see my above post about evens...all nice and strong...today

see a pattern??

if you start with an odd channel. If the signal is low, the next channel (an even) is higher signal

That kind of matches what I've been getting. I just checked again and it is still the same transponders here in the Denver area that have taken a drop that appear to be coming from Nimiq 4.

1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28, 29, 32

No changes that I can see over the last couple of days.

The signals on those transponders listed above get even lower at night as it looks like the sat is wobbling a bit. The other transponders (2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30, 31) are staying at a consistant good level like they always have been. In fact, transponder 3 stays pegged at 100%.

odds
3 is at 82 (???)

see a pattern??

Iceberg, so I see you have a motorized dish on your Coolsat. What size of dish?

Looks like you can get all the transponders up there in Duluth. I'm down in Minneapolis and might look into getting a bigger dish if there is any hope.

from another site (Canadian TV site) ARR posted a maintenance schedule and on it the last remap is schedule for tonight so what you will get tommorow morning will be mostly what you can or cannot get.
Guess I'm screwed then. 82 is still completely dead here in Kansas City. I'd love to see a footprint map. Doesn't make any sense that Denver, 600 miles due west of me, has a usable signal and I have no signal at all.

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCatalog.do?sc=2008-044A]NASA - NSSDC - Spacecraft - Details

Nimiq 4

NSSDC ID: 2008-044A
Description

Nimiq 4 is a Canadian geostationary communications spacecraft that was launched by a Proton-M rocket from Baikonur at 21:48 UT on 19 September 2008. The 4.8 tonne (with fuel), 12 kW craft will provide digital HDTV to Canada and America through its 32 Ku-band and 8 Ka-band transponders, after parking over 82° W longitude.

Some one must not have gotten the "email" about the America coverage part. :D

I would definitely believe the Nimiq 4 could provide service to the US if they switched on the US beam. It would be dumb to build a bird that would not have a beam that can cover the US incase they ever needed to put it in a slot to lease it to a US provider. Nimiq 4 is on and cooking. I used to be able to see all the transponders in my area. Now they are gone. I'd have to think also they will probably start converting a couple of TP's to 8PSK.

Nimiq 4 is still not in operation according to BEV CS

I would definitely believe the Nimiq 4 could provide service to the US if they switched on the US beam. It would be dumb to build a bird that would not have a beam that can cover the US incase they ever needed to put it in a slot to lease it to a US provider. Nimiq 4 is on and cooking. I used to be able to see all the transponders in my area. Now they are gone. I'd have to think also they will probably start converting a couple of TP's to 8PSK.

The CS guy @ BEV insists this morning that Nimiq 4 is still not in use.

South out

Overall, something has changed as I can confirm that Dallas TX as of 10/10/2008 is still not receiving anything from 82 since the changes on the 7th. Dish size is 31" and lowest used to be 50's. At one point, I saw tp 3, but after running check switch I receive no signal even removing the SW 21.

My hope is that that the press releases keep mentioned Oct 11th for the 1st date of actual service (even we know this not to be true), but possibly they are still adjusting the beam. Otherwise, it looks as though they have a spot beam on Canada with the same situation as having a spot beam to one part of the US and no matter the size, one is unable to receive it.

As a slight comparison, I am getting readings from a contact in the Chicago area that his signal is still strong.

Here are his numbers:
(Tp) - signal level)
1-62
2-86
3-95
4-64
5-63
6-64
7-74
8-64
9-69
10-65
11-75
12-63
13-70
14-65
15-75
16-64
17-69
18-63
19-74
20-63
21-69
22-63
23-74
24-63
25-69
26-63
27-72
28-63
29-69
30-63
31-72
32-64

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)