Nintendo PlayStation found in attic

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
No, the title isn't a misprint or some weird mod. Back in the day of the early 1990s, Nintendo had deals with Sony and Philips to try and help make their next console, or basically make a "SNES CD." The story goes that the big N was working with Sony on a CD add-on, and the deal got to the point where they came up with a prototype Nintendo Play Station which played SNES games as well as CD ones. However, due to arguments over licensing and profit sharing, Nintendo struck a deal with Philips and announced it in June of 1991. Nintendo and Sony kept trying to find an agreement but one was never struck and Sony instead went their own way and ended up making the PlayStation.

Whatever came of the Philips deal? Well, Philips never came through with a CD add-on either, but had access to various Nintendo properties to be released on their new console, the Philips CD-Interactive. Most of you reading this are likely chuckling since you know what came of that, but if you don't, here's what came from Nintendo and Philips (NSFW Language but very funny. Also Nintendo refuses to acknowledge that these games have ANYTHING to do with the cannon of their various properties)

Back to the topic at hand. Approximately 200 Nintendo Play Stations were manufactured, and once the deal fell apart they were to be destroyed. Well, some guy found one in his attic, and is now wondering what to do with it. He could get a pretty penny if he were to sell it. On the other hand, it really is a relic in video game history, as it marks a MAJOR turning point that was the precursor to Sony getting into the video game market, and really deserves to be in a museum. I can't even begin to fathom what the console gaming scene would be like today if Sony ended up just working with Nintendo in lieu of making their own console. The article is worth a read.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/3/8889237/Nintendo-Play-Station

It's funny how you can see things in common to the PS1 in that machine, like the RFU and multi-out port in the back, the controller ports. A lot different, like the external power pack and drawer CD, but definitely a lot of the PS1 there. I would love to be able to see and check out the insides of it!

Hopefully it ends up somewhere safe, thanks for posting that!

If I had it, I'd open it up and google and drool over it a bit, then donate it to a trustworthy museum.

Update on this story: The guys who found it went to Hong Kong and were able to get a power supply. Turns out the thing works. Well sorta. It can play SNES games but the CD-Rom doesn't seem to be working properly. Also, it was taken apart and it was proven that this thing was legit and not simply some knock-off or cheap attempt at money. I do wish that Nintendo/Sony would at least ACKNOWLEDGE this thing and go into more specifics about it, as I'm sure numerous people involved with it still work at the respective companies.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/

Reactions: . Raine
The Nintendo Playstation was torn apart and the real specs of the system could be found out. Some interesting facts, such as that the CD Rom was a dual speed (Sega CD and Turbo Duo were single and Dual was MUCH more expensive back then) and the system had less RAM than the Sega CD.

Yeah, watched that episode of Ben Heck when it came out on Friday.
Curious to see what all he gets working, in part 2.

Well it lives!! Would have never thought those caps(newer design, even then) were old enough to be bad yet.

Yeah saw that Friday, didn't think they would ever get it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts