No Auto Hop on CBS & ABC

This is the result of the new contracts that Dish made with CBS and ABC. The Autohop is disabled for several days after the show airs. I believe it is 7 days for CBS and 3 days for ABC O&O stations.

Reactions: steff3
Auto hop is pretty amazing. Try activating PTAT for your least used channel on Sat night and you get auto-hop for all. Once you try it you may never look back. (you can also reduce to storage time to 1 or 2 days to minimize the HDD usage)
Agree and disagree. Auto hop can be amazing, but I disagree on the never look back. Commercials are how we see and learn about some things, movies, some sales, hell, many are works of entertainment in themselves.

There are times I use auto-hop, but many times not, and I'm more likely not to use it.

24/7? It's more like Primetime, from 7pm until 10pm each night. So 3-hr blocks from each network every evening.

Tune to one of your local big 4 networks then press the red button on the remote. See how all 4 of your locals are available from 1 tuner for watching or recording? That's how it works 24/7.

Reactions: Hall
24/7? It's more like Primetime, from 7pm until 10pm each night. So 3-hr blocks from each network every evening.
No.

The Big4 use a single tuner 24/7 with or without PTAT enabled.

Autohop is only applies to the prime time shows and PTAT must be enabled for at least one night for Autohop to be available.

Reactions: Hall
Ok, so if you record on ABC, you can watch NBC and still only have 1 tuner tied up on the networks..which leaves the other 2 still available?

(i never got into all the hoopla over the PTAT trend...nothing is that major for me..but I'm a stay-home parent so it's not like I have to be pressed for time to watch TV)

Ok, so if you record on ABC, you can watch NBC and still only have 1 tuner tied up on the networks..which leaves the other 2 still available?

(i never got into all the hoopla over the PTAT trend...nothing is that major for me..but I'm a stay-home parent so it's not like I have to be pressed for time to watch TV)
Yes! Any time, 24/7...

Yes! Any time, 24/7...
I've only recently got into using PTAT and Autohop...I'm still not much into the actual shows that come on, and have other reasons for even turning PTAT on...
I actually rarely watch networks, but if there were more interesting shows on, this would be huge.
what would be even bigger, if you could pick the 4 stations you wanted this feature available on.

Speculation is that Dish will "combine" tuners further, when possible, in the future. If you look at "The List", you can see what channels are on what satellite/transponders. So, for example -- these are made up -- you are recording something on USA Network, you could also record things from AMC, TNT, and ESPN as long as they're on the same satellite/transponder.

Reactions: steff3
wait. NBC is the last of the big 4 to still have auto hop the next day?
I just noticed it wasn't working on ABC... I watch maybe 2 sitcoms from ABC and that's all.
mostly it's NBC. the wife watches CBS.
wow! it's making the streaming shows on Hulu look even better!

Sent from my XT1575 using the SatelliteGuys app!

wait. NBC is the last of the big 4 to still have auto hop the next day?
I just noticed it wasn't working on ABC... I watch maybe 2 sitcoms from ABC and that's all.
mostly it's NBC. the wife watches CBS.
wow! it's making the streaming shows on Hulu look even better!

Sent from my XT1575 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Lmao. Over Autohop? Are new shows from CBS even on Hulu?

Lmao. Over Autohop? Are new shows from CBS even on Hulu?
not yet. heck we couldn't get broadband until last spring.
but, it's making the major feature of the hopper (the name too) pointless.
makes me wonder how long before the networks tell the cable /satellite companies no fast forwarding at all in playback.
if I were a major network, that's what I'd do. permit time shifting but require commercials to be played in full. maybe extra commercials. while negotiating I'd say no rewinding, extra commercials at the beginning and the end, and no stopping at the end to force viewers to watch commercials.
That's their big money maker.
which cable Co would be the first to drop any or all of the big 4?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

those of y'all in cities and towns that have a good guarantee of broadband (unavailable to me out in the sticks, but glad to have wisp finally) should cut the cord. ps vue, sling, etc.
if I had a good idea that this good thing would last, I'd pay my etf and go.
but I've got Hulu for free for a couple of months and the ABC shows are there from last night. so I watched them. not even a piece of a commercial.
odd how, on the hopper, the commercials are so sloppily marked... I don't know how it's done but it's not done well or cleanly.

odd how, on the hopper, the commercials are so sloppily marked... I don't know how it's done but it's not done well or cleanly.

I believe that is done deliberately because of when they where sued by the networks because when autohop was first released it skipped all the commercials perfectly not a bit was seen.

but I've got Hulu for free for a couple of months and the ABC shows are there from last night. so I watched them. not even a piece of a commercial.
Apples and Oranges.

Hulu is supplied the programs without commercials and inserts commercials if they want.

From the court documents we know Dish MANUALLY marks up the commercials, and only monitors a single market. The data files that flag the commercials have to be liberal enough to account for markets that may not be 100% in sync with the monitored feed, so a couple of seconds wiggle room at the beginning and end of each break is normal. I do think the wiggle room has increased over time, probably as folks from out of sync markets complained.

Lastly Dish is very conservative on what it considers a commercial. They generally won't skip it if there is even a possibility something is an "in-show" ad, things like a show host reading ad copy, inset ads, etc.

Reactions: Hall and beandaddy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts