No DirecTV service available at new home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdoppler

Apr 19, 2007
We just moved, and had the dish movers come move our service. They got to the new house and said because of some close trees, the service is unavailable.
We have since tried to cancel our service with D, and they are charging us a fee to break our contract. This does not seem right, as it is a service which they are unable to provide.
Any thoughts???
Thanks for your help.

We just moved, and had the dish movers come move our service. They got to the new house and said because of some close trees, the service is unavailable.
We have since tried to cancel our service with D, and they are charging us a fee to break our contract. This does not seem right, as it is a service which they are unable to provide.
Any thoughts???
Thanks for your help.

Contact the BBB.

Ask anyone with a gym membership. Moving usually doesn't get you out of a contract.

with cellphones it does, if you move to a location when you get roaming or no service, legaly they have to let you out of contract

same thing happened to me, call up and put your account on hold, then call back you u can get out the contract, thats what i did :D

ok moved into my new place last july, was in month 8 or 9 of 18 month commit, they came out said couldnt get a good signal, said ok, called up d* and asked what i should do, they will suspend for up to i think 9 months at a time, so i asked for the 9 month, that ended last month, it started to bill again, i called again told them i cannot get service, they said they will put on hold again (told them i might move when lease is up at rental house), then TODAY my 18 month finished, i called to cancel, they are shipping out boxes now, and i get whatever was left on my account (like 20 bucks or something), the KICKER is.... e* guys came out in oct, got a good signal near the back, getting e* at normal 95 % strength, and a better deal that i had with d* :)

ok moved into my new place last july, was in month 8 or 9 of 18 month commit, they came out said couldnt get a good signal, said ok, called up d* and asked what i should do, they will suspend for up to i think 9 months at a time, so i asked for the 9 month, that ended last month, it started to bill again, i called again told them i cannot get service, they said they will put on hold again (told them i might move when lease is up at rental house), then TODAY my 18 month finished, i called to cancel, they are shipping out boxes now, and i get whatever was left on my account (like 20 bucks or something), the KICKER is.... e* guys came out in oct, got a good signal near the back, getting e* at normal 95 % strength, and a better deal that i had with d* :)

Like haircuts, cheaper isnt always better based on your expectations of the service, good luck.

Any thoughts???
Thanks for your help.
It would seem that D* could be more gentle on this issue..However I can see their side..It is you the customer who chose your new home. Do you really think it fair to the business to make sacrifices based on a choice that you the consumer made?
I think allowances should be made to those who move to a location where satellite is not available. Perhaps a compromise on the amount of the early cancellation penalty..

with cellphones it does, if you move to a location when you get roaming or no service, legaly they have to let you out of contract
They do?..If I were you I may want to clarify that statement. I have Verizon and that which you say is true does not apply to my contract.

see, this is what really bothers me...people that always try to work the system to their favor. Contracts are contracts. Same with equipment and service calls. You dont go begging your mechanic to give you a free oil change all the time, do you?

see, this is what really bothers me...people that always try to work the system to their favor. Contracts are contracts. Same with equipment and service calls. You dont go begging your mechanic to give you a free oil change all the time, do you?

What kind of logic is that?:rolleyes:

Your comparing a service you can no longer receive to no fault of your own to trying to get free service on your car.

My opion, I agree with the contract, i signed up and wanted it, but it was a lazy instal. guy who didnt want to walk around the yard, again not my fault, on their part this time :)

Your comparing a service you can no longer receive to no fault of your own to trying to get free service on your car.

this is a two way street..Is it the businesses(DTV'S) fault the customer moved to a home where he cannot receive satellite signals?..The customer in lieu of having to pay for the cost of the EQ installed agreed to a certain commitment to service, for that the satco insatlled the system fo free.
Remember the customer had a choice. he could have checked out the new location before agreeing to buy it knowing full well that if they bought a home with many trees surrounding the home, he could lose access to the signal..Should the business have to suffer because of a conscious decision made by the customer? Customer not at fault?..Sorry, but the customers have responsibilties as well...Example..If a person buys a car and takes out a loan for the car and thru no fault of the car buyer, the car is destroyed. Due to depreciation the car is has less value than the balance of the loan. The insurance takes care of the residual value of the car at the time of it's destrcution, the rest must be paid back to the bank by the car owner. Should the bank be forced to forgive the rest of the loan?..After all, according to your logic the car buyer is not at fault..Sorry. Doesn't work that way..A contract is a contract.

ptuck.

That install date sets off an alarm. In October, as the leaves fall from the trees sat signals make it through the trees. This is now April. Watch your signal.

Also, the DISH (E) elevation to some of their sats. is lower that to some of the DTV (D)
sats. Putting the best spin on it the DISH guy found a line under the trees. The DTV guy was correct for DTV.

Good luck,

Joe

Are you positive you can't get Line of Sight, or did some slacker installer just think the job would be a PIA, and blew you off? I would get them to send out another installer to verify no LOS, and I would demand it be a senior tech or supervisor.

So....using your car and making the oil burn isn't your fault? And maybe I did use the wrong analogy. But the point is, there's an option so you DON'T have to pay for service calls. It's called the Protection Plan. You can complain all you want to, but there will always be a charge for a service call. It costs money to the company to send someone out there. You can gripe all you want to, but you're not always going to get everything free out of life.

this is a two way street..Is it the businesses(DTV'S) fault the customer moved to a home where he cannot receive satellite signals?..The customer in lieu of having to pay for the cost of the EQ installed agreed to a certain commitment to service, for that the satco insatlled the system fo free.
Remember the customer had a choice. he could have checked out the new location before agreeing to buy it knowing full well that if they bought a home with many trees surrounding the home, he could lose access to the signal..Should the business have to suffer because of a conscious decision made by the customer? Customer not at fault?..Sorry, but the customers have responsibilties as well...Example..If a person buys a car and takes out a loan for the car and thru no fault of the car buyer, the car is destroyed. Due to depreciation the car is has less value than the balance of the loan. The insurance takes care of the residual value of the car at the time of it's destrcution, the rest must be paid back to the bank by the car owner. Should the bank be forced to forgive the rest of the loan?..After all, according to your logic the car buyer is not at fault..Sorry. Doesn't work that way..A contract is a contract.

I actually do agree that the OP should pay his contract, he signed it he should pay it, but I don't blame him for trying to get D* to cancel his account.

I heard of D* customers who move to apartments, there not aloud to put up a dish and D* cancels there account.

My problem was the poster was comparing two thinks that don't even compare, it's like apples and oranges.

So....using your car and making the oil burn isn't your fault? And maybe I did use the wrong analogy. But the point is, there's an option so you DON'T have to pay for service calls. It's called the Protection Plan. You can complain all you want to, but there will always be a charge for a service call. It costs money to the company to send someone out there. You can gripe all you want to, but you're not always going to get everything free out of life.

I don't care if you have a warranty or not on your car, you still have to pay for normal wear and tear items.....tires, brakes, and fluids, including oil. If your gonna compare two things then compare two of the same things, for example D* and a house payment, just because you move from your house to a new house, you still have to pay off your old house, you can't go to the bank and say I moved to a new house so I don't have to keep paying on the old one.

Read above, I don't think he should get anything for free, but it's worth it to the OP to try. If D* cancels his service then thats good, if not then he can put an hold on his account and go from there.

They do?..If I were you I may want to clarify that statement. I have Verizon and that which you say is true does not apply to my contract.

It does with Cingular. It states right in my contract if I move to an area with no service or roaming only that they will let me cancel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)