No dish service due to snow

Home depot, dry lubricant. Spray it on. It reduces surface tension on the dish so snow slides off pretty easy.

Can you be more specific about the product that you have experienced works on dishes ? Brand name ?

I ask because "dry lubricant" seems not to be a generic name for a widely found product ( unlike "white wood glue" or "clear tub & tile silicone caulk" ).

Also, how often do you need to reapply it ? One would think that the snow sliding off cleans the dish of dry lubricant...

Thanks !

We in southeast Texas barely remember snow either. Once in a great while we might get enough to cover our yards in January or February . I even made a small snowman back in High school in 78. I really can't remember when the last time we even saw snow falling down here.

Us Californians just think it's something Walt Disney created in the mountains. Something to go look at, point at, wonder about, and play with.

Snow has nothing to do with reality or real life though.

Uh, California gets more snow than anywhere !

Clearly, you've never been to Truckee in the winter...

Ok, heres the deal on Dry Lubes, The Home Depot stuff is called RZ-50, it contains no oil and no silicone. It sprays on and drys in seconds, I used 3 coats.
Another I have is Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant. It is sprayed on and you have to wipe it down when it is dry, takes a few minutes to dry.
I have no test results yet, but I coated one dish with RZ- 50,my other dish has a small trash bag over it, I sprayed the bag and LNB and arm with RZ-50. It is supposed to snow here tomorrow and Sunday, I will report results.
Another test is on my snow shovel, I sprayed one Dry Lube on half of the shovel and other Dry Lube on other half. This is an all plastic (ABS) I think, the shovel has many years of use on it and rarely has snow stuck to it.

Ok, heres the deal on Dry Lubes, The Home Depot stuff is called RZ-50, it contains no oil and no silicone. It sprays on and drys in seconds, I used 3 coats.

In my case, an important piece of information is how long it lasts before it needs to be reapplied.

In winter, having to frequently reapply the Dry Lubricant is not much better than having to frequently clear the dish of snow.

UPDATE: I found the RZ-50 site ... the main ingredient is a "PTFE Polymer developed by DuPont". PTFE is the chemical name for Teflon . ;) So, it is like " Tri-Flow ", except that it doesn't add Teflon to Oil, but instead adds the Teflon to some sort of solvent that evaporates and leaves just the Teflon.

Interesting that no one has come up with a better lubricant over the past 70 years...

Last edited:
I still think the trash bag is the way to go, as my dishs are on poles and easy to get to. When snow and or ice stick to the bag it is easy to get off.
A few years ago I put a 10" piece of plexiglass on the top edge of the dish, went around the edge about half way, also a flat piece on top of the LNB overhanging 2 or 3 inches. That kept the snow and rain off, except on rare occasions when it was a blowing snow. My neighbor still uses this method and claims he rarely has snow on his dish.

Update on RZ-50 dry lube. Lots of snow has fallen. On the dish without trash bag the snow slide off the dish after a couple hours and some stayed on the bottom of the dish and some stayed on the LNB arm. The dish with the trash bag did basically the same. This was dry snow and temps never got above freezing, so this is not a very good test.

Device code for ViP-211

Credit Card Needed??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts