No Disney or Fox anytime soon for HD-DVD?

Bob those are great articles with good information, but do you have anything current? as Blu ray just got going really, and all those articles are from july-sept, with the latest one coming in a sept 29th.....didnt blu ray just really get its launch in November? also isnt it hard to compare HD DVD in july with Blu ray when there was none?

One way or the other a winner will probably be apparent in early 2008. Whoever the loser will be, I see reality setting in after the Christmas 2007 rush. 18 months is how long it took DIVX to realize that they weren't going to be the winner and Circuit City (the biggest backer) shut it down, costing themselves about $100 Million in the process....

Bob is stuck in August. It seems he is intent on only using old articles that use the faulty Samsung BluRay player as it was first introduced. I see no information Bob that any HD-DVD player is faster than any BluRay player. I also see no comparisons to the new BluRay players from Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, and Samsungs repaired version. Amazing how he post something that says on 2nd generation of same titles that are put out for both camps in PQ there is virtually no discernable differance noticable. Gee Bob, how did you miss that?

As I have said before, after Christmas there will be a new leader in the HD movie business and it will not be HD-DVD. We will now see if Toshiba can keep losing money on players (and/or withstand the returns of their players for the 360's HD-DVD drive) and keep pushing the HD-DVD format. My guess is they won't.

They shot themselves in the foot by releasing a player for $499 instead of at a price point (probably above $700) that would of made them money (even though it would not of sold as well). They sold a bunch of players at a loss and now they are even getting those players back as consumers with 360's opt out for the even less expensive HD-DVD add-on. Once you do that there is no going back to a price where you can make money. Companys not making money don't stay in business long and Toshiba will not continue to make a product that does not make them money and without Toshiba there is no HD-DVD.

Companys not making money don't stay in business long and Toshiba will not continue to make a product that does not make them money and without Toshiba there is no HD-DVD.

So, how much money is Sony making on each Playstation 3 being sold? I thought I heard that they were also taking a bath on each unit.

So, how much money is Sony making on each Playstation 3 being sold? I thought I heard that they were also taking a bath on each unit.

Yes, the same research company that estimated Toshiba was losing over $200 on each A1 estimates Sony is losing up to $300 on each PS3. That's the same Sony that first said the laptop battery recall would not affect profits, and then blamed the battery recall for Q3 profits dropping 95%. :hatsoff:

But, in all fairness, Sony also makes software for the PS3 and the master plan is to make up for the loss it incurs on selling the hardware from the profits on the software. Toshiba only makes hardware.

Now that my "fair & unbiased" requirement is fullfilled:

We will now see if Toshiba can keep losing money on players (and/or withstand the returns of their players for the 360's HD-DVD drive) and keep pushing the HD-DVD format. They sold a bunch of players at a loss and now they are even getting those players back as consumers with 360's opt out for the even less expensive HD-DVD add-on.

I always try to not be personal in any forum comment, BUT, My Gawd, JoeSP - you really bring a whole new meaning to the saying "beating a dead horse" . . . .

You read one comment of someone exchanging a Toshiba HD DVD player for an XBox 360 add-on, and have been harping on that in almost every post, like it's a national movement. First of all, Toshiba doesn't sell directly to consumers and accordingly has no exchange policy. They ain't a takin' a single player back. Most retailers, from whom consumers purchase Toshiba products, do have a return policy, usually 30 days. Some consumers might take advantage of that and return a player within 30 days, in which case the retailer will re-sell the returned unit. But, again, Toshiba is not taking back a single player. Most likely, that original poster meant he sold his player on eBay and bought an xBox add-on player. When I bought my XA1, I sold my Denon DVD player on eBay becuase the XA1 did a better job of standard DVD upconverting in addition to being a terriffic high def player. But, I don't go around posting that "Denon is taking its DVD players back because the Toshiba HD DVD player is a better DVD player".

Secondly, Toshiba makes the xBox 360 add-on HD DVD player for Microsoft, so they make a profit on every single xBox add-on player, just as they do on every Zune player, which they also manufactor for Microsoft.

IMHO, Toshiba did not "shoot themselves in the foot" with the $499 pricing for the 1st generation HD DVD player (A1). They jump started HD DVD well past Blu-Ray when they released it last April, when this time last year almost every "expert" was pronouncing HD DVD "Dead on Arrival" before it even launched. The 2nd gen player (A2) is much less expensive to manufactor* but still priced at $499, to make them a profit - and still sell for less than half the cost of a comparable Blu-Ray player. :up

*"the 2nd gen player is much less expensive to manufactor" - They eliminated almost all the audio processing capabilities of the A1; It's based on SoC (Software on Chip), instead of PC RAM and Linux Operating System on the A1; Toshiba makes the HD DVD drive for the A2, whereas NEC made the drive for the A1.

Rant over. ;)

But you are correct in that the newer Blu-Ray movie releases are (finally) approaching HD DVD in quality, from the reviews I read.

Last edited:
I give up. I've run out of energy dealing with Joe. His avatar fits though since he and Fox are dead set on killing HD DVD.

"Now witness the power of this fully operational PLAYstation!"

Yeah, OK. I found the articles on Google. Just sifted through the first three pages of results to find those. Didn't see any talking about how great BluRay was compared to HD DVD. Both sides have made strides to speed things up on the boot up side, but they still take way too long. Not as long as an E* 921 or E* 721 receiver boot up, but still more than Joe sixpack is used to waiting for watching his movie.

Without the PS3, BluRay would be in deep trouble. With the PS3, the jury is still out. Let's wait until after Christmas when supplies meet demand and then we'll see. We've both got our betting slips printed and we're just waiting for the end of the horse race which will take 12-18 months.

Once again, it is just as likely that BOTH fail as many are ignoring these machines just like many ignored DVD Audio and SA-CD. Those formats are just about dead. Video over IP may trump them both. We'll see.

I also see no comparisons to the new BluRay players from Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, and Samsungs repaired version.
Heres one from Comsumer Reports. "We compared the PS3's Blu-ray playback to the Samsung BD-P1000 disk player's and found them equally excellent." They could not tell a difference between the PS3 and Samsung.
We will now see if Toshiba can keep losing money on players (and/or withstand the returns of their players for the 360's HD-DVD drive) and keep pushing the HD-DVD format.
Sony is losing a lot more then Toshiba. "That turned out to be incorrect. The problems with Blu-Ray have created extreme cost and execution problems for Sony and now their premier division (instead of being the profit center for Sony) is predicting they will take a $1.5B loss next year largely resulting from this decision. To put this in perspective, just think what would happen if Apple’s iPod group, instead of generating massive profit, suddenly dropped into massive loss. Now you can see why the Sony PlayStation division just changed out their top executives."

I respect your passion for Blue-Ray. What is hard to fathom is the irrational behavior that Blue Ray is the correct choice period given the following logical information. Blue Ray can only hope to match HD DVD in picture quality. The may never beat HD DVD in picture quality. If the intended purpose is for movies the choice becomes obvious. HD DVD is cheaper to produce and manufacture. Economically HD DVD makes more sense for the consumer, manufactures and studios. Most people don’t want to use a gaming system for watching movies. They would rather have a dedicated movie player. There is more storage available to Blue Ray. Currently this is not an issue but it may be in the future. But in the future we’re all dead.

HD DVD is cheaper to produce now, but Blu ray prices are coming down, also you just sold me on blu ray in one sentence, there is more storage available to BLU RAY, so you are saying, I can get the same picture quality as HD DVD, but maybe more features, and uncompressed audio and picture?

also, just from the light reading I have done, Blu ray has better audio then HD DVD, true or false, and if you could back up your claims with some links. :)

HD DVD is cheaper to produce now, but Blu ray prices are coming down, also you just sold me on blu ray in one sentence, there is more storage available to BLU RAY, so you are saying, I can get the same picture quality as HD DVD, but maybe more features, and uncompressed audio and picture?

also, just from the light reading I have done, Blu ray has better audio then HD DVD, true or false, and if you could back up your claims with some links. :)
I don't want to comment on Blue Ray audio because I've never heard it. True HD vs uncompressed PCM? I'm sure someone will chime in.

Prices of HD DVD movies should always be cheaper to produce because the start up costs and materials are so much less the Blue-Ray. So far it looks like the 50g dual layer is working pretty good.

Those start up costs will be spread over tens of millions of units and will NOT be a significant cost factor. Not for the players. Not for the disks. It looks like players will cost about the same for both camps next year. Movies now are about the same.

From launch in June up to the beginning of November HD-DVD was kicking BluRay but! With an equally bad showing from a faulty BluRay player (Samsung) to an unbeliveable crap delivery of the first BluRay titles from Sony (Sony even appologized for The Fifth Element release) nothing went right for BluRay but then came November.

The 50gb discs showed up, more studios started using VC-1 and Mpeg4 on movies and PCM audio started showing up on more movies. The the PS3 Launch (again another slip by Sony) but this time just on numbers. The unit itself seems to be a very well made product. And more standalone BluRay players showed up.

Maybe before you guys start throwing out the PS3 with the bathwater you might just want to read these two reviews:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127892-page,1-c,dvddrivesmedia/article.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-dvd-bluray/1927/shootout-3-blu-ray-disc-players.html

As for PQ -- same title releases for both formats have been receiving the very same marks and remarks since November 1st. HD-DVD no longer has that advantage. And since Universal has been digging up some of their older titles for release their PQ has actually suffered.

And as for Toshiba making money -- how does 45,000 XBOX360 HD-DVD sales this Christmas help Toshiba? Those sales help M$ and the movie studios.

And BOB, these posts are current, not articles from 3 months ago. Folks time goes forward and not backwards. The BluRay camp is just now openning doors for business. By the end of March there will be 30% more titles and 10 differant standalone BluRay players on the market for customers to chose. Add to that new blockbuster titles only on BluRay from Disney, Fox and Sony. When the numbers get big enough the game will be over.

One more bit of information from Amazon as some like to quote: Sales ranking for Superman Returns on BD 488 / HD-DVD 577 (as of 12/21 2:35am EST). Even without the TrueDolbyHD the BluRay version is outselling the HD-DVD version on Amazon.com. This is just the begining.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
One more bit of information from Amazon as some like to quote: Sales ranking for Superman Returns on BD 488 / HD-DVD 577 (as of 12/21 2:35am EST). Even without the TrueDolbyHD the BluRay version is outselling the HD-DVD version on Amazon.com. This is just the begining.

Merry Christmas
Why not quote #1 vs. #1? http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/ Someday you may be able to say that Blue Ray movies are outselling HD DVD. But right now you can't.

That's a great link. Should give us plenty of fodder for the future.... and it's current so certain posters will stop accusing us of using outdated articles (sorry, there were dozens of articles slamming BluRay 3 months ago, and no one is talking about them right now from a web article standpoint. I just hit Google and went through for the first few pages looking for articles to meet your request)

A recent article I read said Sony was admitting to already losing $1.5 billion (!) on the PS3 development and delays. If you just take what their admitting to have lost (real number is probably much higher), the PS3 will NEVER turn a profit. We may never see a PS4 because of that.

Why not only provide information on titles that have been released on both formats and compare only those numbers? I see that Superman Returns BD is not compared with Superman Returns on HD-DVD. Also, I see that there are BD titles that just came out and are compared with HD-DVD titles that have been out for a few months. And you guys think that this is a fair comparison?

Why not only provide information on titles that have been released on both formats and compare only those numbers? I see that Superman Returns BD is not compared with Superman Returns on HD-DVD. Also, I see that there are BD titles that just came out and are compared with HD-DVD titles that have been out for a few months. And you guys think that this is a fair comparison?
You can use the two links to make your comparisions.
http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/blu-ray.cfm
http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/hd-dvd.cfm