No more HD Distant Networks?

and in almost all cases they import a neighboring local that is missing.

They do import, but not always in HD. I think that is the real issue here. People who were using Sobongo to get HD DNS are out of luck. I don't even understand why they are continuing SD broadcasts, as 99.99% of people can now get the Big 4 via Dish or OTA.

This is really disappointing for me, and is one of the reasons I have stuck with Dish. With the $27 in receiver fees for equipment I own, and all the price increases, I will have to look hard at my other options. I am already getting internet from my local cable company. With a Dish bill currently $141 and a cable/internet bill of $75, looks like I may finally make a change.

I received call from All American rep who told me about the cancellation of HD distant networks. Since I had already paid for a full year, he informed me that they would replace, for no extra charge, the HD with SD network stations. Be careful, that is a ripoff. I explained to him that east coast and west coast SD was close to the same price as just one coast of HD. He then said they would replace the HD with both east coast and west coast SD at no extra charge. So just be sure you are getting apples for apples.

Any update on rumor that Dish will be offering HD distant networks/?

What I'll miss most (besides the HD signals) is the ability to access out of market newscasts. I could continue my subscription in SD but what's the point, having HD is like visiting a 5 star restaurant to eat prime rib everyday. When the prime rib is forceably removed and replaced with bologna, it's time to find another restaurant that caters to my taste. Tomorrow I'll bid adieu to Sobongo and say hello to Ivi TV, so far I'm hearing good feedback about it. Although it's PC based and not HD, at $4.99 a month I'll get my out of market fix way cheaper than paying for Sobongo SD on my 52 and 32" flat screens.

Decided not to wait, went ahead and put a bullet in my subscription just now. Since I'm on auto pay, my service as a whole is done on the 28th, but the HD channels do in fact disappear on the 12th.

The NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) has the pull in DC and almost gets what they want (if they really got what they wanted there would be no distants at all). They want it to be available to as few people as possible.

If you live in New York city you can read the Los Angles times newpaper but you can not watch Los Angles TV.

Folks it all boils down to advertising dollars. The local affiliates want to maximize the amount of potential viewers to sell local advertisement space. Its all about money and greed thats the bottom line.

If you live in New York city you can read the Los Angles times newpaper but you can not watch Los Angles TV.

That is true, but each of the big 4 networks is one company. That company produces a product that they decide how they will distribute it. It is like a watch manufacturer not allowing dealers to sell out of market or over the internet. The network gives their local affliate an exclusive area. It could be a restaurant chain. You could go to another McDonalds, but you have to drive there. You could go watch LA locals, but you have to drive there.

I am one of those RVers that paid for DNS so I could be assured of networks in HD anywhere I went.
DirecTV is not an option since most domes on RV's will not work with DirecTV HD. Same goes for truckers using 'The Cube".

The only "choice" for the next year or so would be to pick an EA city on 77. But, you would have problems in the northern US since the satellite points south.

I recently "moved" and then just had to "move" back because a receiver died (so I was using Sobongo again.) Now this happens.

I cut my ties today. It was a good 11 years with Dish, but now my bill is cut in half (for a year) I will get HD DNS and don't have to lie about where I live and I don't have to deal with this BS any longer.

Heck, the only reason I joined this forum was because I lost Distants back in the day (and I did learn a lot *cough* moving *cough* so I plan to stick around.)

That said, this was the deal breaker as I didn't want to have to keep going through the process of saying I lived at a Burger King100 miles away to get the four basic channels. Sure, I don't know what I am getting myself into with D* and I will probably regret it, but it feels good now and I specifically told retention that I was leaving after 11 years because Dish won't let me have HD locals (even though the SD channels they do give me are offered in HD) and that they forced Sobongo to take away the only other HD network option I had. So, while my $124 a month might not hurt much, I am happy to take it away from them.

Still have ABC and FOX in HD out of Chicago in the US Virgin Islands. No email or phone call from Sobongo.

Local nets are not available on Dish. I can only receive one channel off air. For me getting ABC and FOX even in SD is better than nothing.

If Dish begins offering locals in our market the stations may come from Puerto Rico which will mean some of the audio will be in Spanish. The reason I subscribed to Dish instead of Direct is because Direct provides their Latin America package in the USVI even though English is the official language.

Jim

I tried IVI last Sunday to get the Giants game out of New York, your right its not HD it was a good watch picture

The (minor) problem I see with Ivi is how horribly delayed game content is, other than that its a pretty cool service, not outstanding quality but worth the price now they added Chicago and LA.

Folks it all boils down to advertising dollars. The local affiliates want to maximize the amount of potential viewers to sell local advertisement space. Its all about money and greed thats the bottom line.

I would agree partially, something I've noticed during major events is how most ads are exactly the same no matter if you're watching a feed from Chicago, Milwaukee or Davenport for example.