No satellite signal

FilthyG

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I am using TT 1.5, with the Sirius complete package.

I don't have a very good home setup to get the best signal possible. Living in Southern California my antenna should face north or east. I live facing south and west. It's not possble to place my antenna on the roof or rotate my dwelling.

So my efforts to date have left me with crappy reception. I haven't seen my signal strength meters move from 33% on Satellite 1 and 33% on Satellite 2 with my atenna strung through a window. My antenna has some unobstructed view at the sky.

My confusion is the following, in the recording log I see tons of entries like "Satellite signal acquired" and "No satellite signal." Sometimes several a minute. When I have "No satellite signal" I hear nothing, which I would expect. However, what has me puzzled is that while I may have no signal, TT still is able to have an updated Now Playing section and the VU levels are bouncing around like they would when a signal is present. My signal strength meters never budge from 33%.

How come TT has enough of a signal to tell me I have 33%, show me the current track, and show me VU levels but not play the audio? Can I assume it's not TT?

Unrelated here, how is it freaking possible that I have to do a yoga rain dance while climbing ladders and spin on rooftops to get a decent signal? I can't believe what a hassle it is. It's going to kill the medium before it gets going.

FilthyG said:
I am using TT 1.5, with the Sirius complete package.
I don't have a very good home setup to get the best signal possible. Living in Southern California my antenna should face north or east. I live facing south and west. It's not possble to place my antenna on the roof or rotate my dwelling.
So my efforts to date have left me with crappy reception. I haven't seen my signal strength meters move from 33% on Satellite 1 and 33% on Satellite 2 with my atenna strung through a window. My antenna has some unobstructed view at the sky.
My confusion is the following, in the recording log I see tons of entries like "Satellite signal acquired" and "No satellite signal." Sometimes several a minute. When I have "No satellite signal" I hear nothing, which I would expect. However, what has me puzzled is that while I may have no signal, TT still is able to have an updated Now Playing section and the VU levels are bouncing around like they would when a signal is present. My signal strength meters never budge from 33%.
How come TT has enough of a signal to tell me I have 33%, show me the current track, and show me VU levels but not play the audio? Can I assume it's not TT?
Unrelated here, how is it freaking possible that I have to do a yoga rain dance while climbing ladders and spin on rooftops to get a decent signal? I can't believe what a hassle it is. It's going to kill the medium before it gets going.

I wonder if the signal is so low, that only the data part of the stream is updating TT and then thats why you see Artist/Track info ???

I cannot answer as to why TT would still have the VU meters bouncing when its not actually playing any music, except that there might be other 'noise' that causes this. I know when I mute or pull the plug on the Line In, the VU meters drop to like 1/4 if the way and slowly bounce. - but not like its playing music.

As far as the signal is concerned, I wonder if there is a way to point your antenna at another building to get some signal bounce or something. I know they used to do that with the dish'es. They may still even do :)

Howdy....

I too had reception problems initially since the antenna that came with the complete Sirius package was not long enough to face in the direction it needed to.

What I did to improve my reception was I purchased a 50 FT (brand name TERK) Sirius Antenna Extension at Best Buy for $40, then I connected the extension end to my receiver and, connected the car antenna (the antenna that came with my package) to the other end of the extension. (Wrap the ends with electrical tape to ensure a good fit)

Then I had 60 some feet that I could move it outside and place it where I need it. Which was not far but far enough from any other types of electrical interference that would cause my signal to degrade.

Now all that being said I could have stringed my antenna and touched the satellite and still the recast software would only show the percentage rate of 33% Now after applying the new beta 1.5.27 now it shows at 100%.

Lastly just to rule out any other issues that I and others have had when listening to Sirius and the quality is awful then click on the LEVELS and make sure that just LINE IN is checked. There have been problems when starting it would automatically select the Microphone.

Hope this helps!

I only have three bars of reception on my Timetrax at all times, yet the sound is coming through clearly. Weird huh?

rhiggins said:
Howdy....

I too had reception problems initially since the antenna that came with the complete Sirius package was not long enough to face in the direction it needed to.

What I did to improve my reception was I purchased a 50 FT (brand name TERK) Sirius Antenna Extension at Best Buy for $40, then I connected the extension end to my receiver and, connected the car antenna (the antenna that came with my package) to the other end of the extension. (Wrap the ends with electrical tape to ensure a good fit)

Then I had 60 some feet that I could move it outside and place it where I need it. Which was not far but far enough from any other types of electrical interference that would cause my signal to degrade.

Now all that being said I could have stringed my antenna and touched the satellite and still the recast software would only show the percentage rate of 33% Now after applying the new beta 1.5.27 now it shows at 100%.

Lastly just to rule out any other issues that I and others have had when listening to Sirius and the quality is awful then click on the LEVELS and make sure that just LINE IN is checked. There have been problems when starting it would automatically select the Microphone.

Hope this helps!

i have my terk extension on order and hope that i will be able to put my receiver into freaking orbit. i wouldn't be able to provide any relevent TT feedback until i can get a mfk'ing signal.

There are also some antenna alternatives including a home antenna and a marine antenna. We've had surprisingly good luck with problem reception areas with the marine antennas. TT is going to start carrying some of these accessories, in the meantime you may want to do a google search.

David K.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)