No winner except DVD

I purchased the $299 Sony Blu-Ray and returned it 3 days later. I would have returned it much quicker if I had paid $499 for it. The slow response times to the remote, and horrendously long load times told me that this technology has a long way to go. I prefer to rent vs. own content at this point and the local Blockbuster only has Blu-Ray. I won't even consider HD-DVD until I can rent it. For now, it's upconverted DVDs and HD movie channels. I'll let the wars play out until there is a decent price point, content availability and more responsive players.

If my DVD player died tomorrow, I'd rather shell out $60.00 on an upconvert player vs. any of the new players on the market.

I purchased the $299 Sony Blu-Ray and returned it 3 days later. I would have returned it much quicker if I had paid $499 for it. The slow response times to the remote, and horrendously long load times told me that this technology has a long way to go. I prefer to rent vs. own content at this point and the local Blockbuster only has Blu-Ray. I won't even consider HD-DVD until I can rent it. For now, it's upconverted DVDs and HD movie channels. I'll let the wars play out until there is a decent price point, content availability and more responsive players.

If my DVD player died tomorrow, I'd rather shell out $60.00 on an upconvert player vs. any of the new players on the market.

Have you considered a PS3?
If the PS3 is not your thing, have you considered any other blu-ray players from different makers? I heard good things about the Panasonics.

I just got bit in the ass big time by Best Buy for being an "early adopter". I spent $2999 for a TV plus $400 for the extended warranty. TV became unrepairable and they are now giving me a $1500 set in exchange claiming it is comparable to what I bought two years ago. I am now becoming extremely gun shy about any purchase. I briefly thought about the PS3, but we've got the 360 and no real need for two gaming systems.

I just got bit in the ass big time by Best Buy for being an "early adopter". I spent $2999 for a TV plus $400 for the extended warranty. TV became unrepairable and they are now giving me a $1500 set in exchange claiming it is comparable to what I bought two years ago. I am now becoming extremely gun shy about any purchase. I briefly thought about the PS3, but we've got the 360 and no real need for two gaming systems.

thats really not all that bad... in 2004 I bought my first HD tv... I paid 1899 plus 200 for a 5 year warranty... the same set is now around 700 bucks... IF you can find it.... no real surprise

Netflix carries HD DVD

thats really not all that bad... in 2004 I bought my first HD tv... I paid 1899 plus 200 for a 5 year warranty... the same set is now around 700 bucks... IF you can find it.... no real surprise

After a while, I've learned to accept that fact. It's just a hard pill to swallow.

I've not seen a player that does both formats but read they are now out. Anybody here have one? It said it was "pricy"... how much are they running for?

All in all, it seems like purchasing the two gaming systems may be the way to go.

Yeha, bummer, Costco use to have a nice warranty, nowdays its limited to 90 days, they usually use to give you whatever you paid for the TV back, If you paid 1k, you would get 1k back in a year or so on a gift card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)