Non Glare screens for CRT RPTV

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
After reading hundreds of post about improving the overall quality of a CRT RPTV and emailing techs in different fields pertaining to HDTV,I have come to the conclusion that there are so many factors involved that it is some times hit and miss.Type of viewing source,where the signal originates-OTA-Cable-Satellite,etc.How the signal is processed,type of tuner,etc.
One thing that did impress me about the CRT RPTV though was the quality of the picture,depth of black and the transition to colors,sharpness of the images and so on.Though the technology is ancient and not up to the "new and improved" my eyes are still impressed.
After my winter project(2004-2005) of increasing the size of the living/family room from 16x18 to 16x32 and having done my own plans with my finished product in mind,and saying that I would not listen to wife,contractor friends,brother,kids or anyone else I stummbled-probably because I was getting tired,cold and was frustrated that I was running behind my own schedule and was outside driving nails looking at the warm/having fun inside family.I wanted to finish.Time for the LVL beams to go in,friends come by to help(contactors friends) everything is ready and it goes with out a hitch(so I think)having some cold brews and some pizza saying I should now be done in just a few days.Then the future planning starts-Todd a good friend and great builder(sometimes I think he invented the nail)starts talking about adding a deck in the spring and that I should have access--french doors--no way--wife thinks good idea--some of Todds crew,good idea--Todd,good idea.Okay lets put the door in-against my best wishes,log story short(LOL)I have glare on my RPTV,and I don't mean a slight refelection I can give you tag numbers on cars in the drive.Everyone says it is not that bad and it may not be but the idea of extending the room was for more space and a place to move the TV as to be less conspicuous.Well after trying different things,solar tint-crap,room darking blinds-have to open and close,good remote blinds for the doors are 400-700 per.Then there was the suggestion for Gregg Loewens and from Chuck Williams(who though I have not met them)seem to be very on the ball people.to remove the protective screen---I have pondered this thought for many months and while I have 4 childern 16-14-7-6,and they are very responsible I still hear those dreaded words too often "It was an accident".Well I got a sample piece from a protective screen manufactor(non glare) and for the price of install and what the material was,Lucite CP,I decided to do my own search,well I have found what I need,I hope,it is the same material that is used on LCD screens in the fighter jets (one thing good about living in the Nations capital with all the defense contractors).It has a 94% light transfer(Lucite CP only has 85%-glass is 88%) and it cut glare to 2% of total light reflectance.Going to get it now and do it install this afternoon(if someone doesn't flip thier car over on the beltway)before and after pic coming if anyone wants to see the results or wake up from reading this

Non Glare screen

Well sorry for not posting back any sooner,I am self employed and it has started to get busy again as it does every fall(cooler weather-people like to be outside)
We installed the no-glare screen which took about 2 hrs-also cleaned the red.green,blue tubes and the mirror.The screen was easy to score and snap as it is only 1/16th inch thick and leaves a nice clean edge.As far as the results there is no glare from any source-bright room lamps-hallway and kitchen entrance that had bright sun light reflections before.The material was purchased for 42.00 which was a bit larger than I really needed(it is sold per square foot).This is a good savings over Mighty Shields cost of almost 300.00.One word of caution for anyone doing this to a Sony KP46WT510(my set)as it is stated in other post around the web for the models ending in 500 that there is about 1 1/2 feet of slack in the wires running around the rails this was not the case on my set,barely enough to set it down in front of the set.You can see this in the picture. All and all if you have a problem with Glare my choices are, 1. Do a restack and leave the Lenticular screen with no covering(if you have young kids,pets-this is probably not a good idea--although a Lenticular screen is only 71.50 if it does get ruined)2. Do as I did and install a non reflective outer screen,3. Sit there and try not to mind the reflection

hey there, im having similar probs with my RPTV, my kids have scratched it all up and the lights and sun make it look a hundred times worse. I called local tv reapir shop, $250 + $55 for shipping for the replacement protective screen. If you dont mind me asking, what is the product that you bought? Ive been looking for the Lucite CP but i cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

According to the shop that i bought the screen material from Lucite CP is really not being made all that much and he didn't carry it,but could order it, but the amount required was not reality(he'd have tons left over) The material that I bought was Acrylite FF-P 99 it is called-Non-Glare Matte finish.The size that I needed was 1/16 thick and doesn't require a saw it can be scored with a sharp razor knife and snapped leaving a good clean edge.I just traced the original screen on the protective covering on the Acrylite and the used the razor knife to score it,lay it down on a table so that the scored line matches the edge of the table and snap it(if it is a large screen -more than 42" you will need two people and snap it together(when scoring along the line-stay inside the trace line so you come up with the same size as the original screen)

thanks

hey there, thakns for the info, I went with the $61 sheet of Lexan from Home Depot. It isnt anti glare, but i think its clearer than the screen that came on my tv. and for a whole lot less too. Good deal.!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts