North American BUD Production

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Been studying pics of the Fortec/WSI/Sadoun/DW panel dishes (1.8/2.4m). Their designs are relatively basic and raw material cost can't be that high (thinking maybe 100$ at the most). So how come these can't be found anymore. More specifically, there doesnt seem to be a decent
BUD production line going on in NA.

We know quite a few companies that produce quality FTA gear, so why isnt the BUD getting any love?

Niche market? Dead Market? Not enough demand?

Cheers, K

Last edited:
Dead market in the US. Nobody wants a backyard BUD unless they are a hobbyist, or a commercial entity that MUST have one, in which case they can afford the high-dollar dish.

Our overlords have programmed us well as consumers, and people have too many choices with cable, or the two small dish companies. BUD's take work to keep them up, and you are dealing with a market where some people never even have seen or used OTA tv antennas.

Fixed your subject. ;)

Yes you pretty much hit it. Nobody wants to spend all the money to develop a C-Band Dish and then take five years or never make their money back. You would not sale very many. Even if you got a decent one for a reasonable price say for around $499, then unless you live near the seller you have to pay 2-3 hundred in shipping and then it starts turning more people away. I would love to see someone do it again, but it is just not worth the investment.

I thought Mike Kohl (globalcm) was going to get production going soon (for the last year or so now).
Did they abandon that?

I thought Mike Kohl (globalcm) was going to get production going soon (for the last year or so now).
Did they abandon that?

"Issues" would be an easy way to describe the behind the curtain nightmare for Mr. Kohl trying to get this done!!!

Radio Electronics in the 80's had plans to make your own flat fresnel C band dish from plywood,if you were handy with wood.

Radio Electronics in the 80's had plans to make your own flat fresnel C band dish from plywood,if you were handy with wood.

That would be really neat to check out! Do you remember if it was a stationary dish or if they had some sort of motor setup?

Here you go, the whole article for the plywood fresnel dish. Not very practical anymore with standard dishes free or cheap for the taking:

page58.jpg page59.jpg page60.jpg page61.jpg

If you click on them, then click on the open pics, then click again, they'll open full size in a browser tab to make it easier to read.

Here are some corrections to the fresnel dish which was published later:

page16.JPG .......... page22.JPG

p.s. These are all courtesy of member "slugworth" on the satellites.co.uk site.

Last edited:
plywood fresnel

but it was like a work of art,it should be good for areas that have restrictions on buds.
The lnb mounted behind the "dish" so in some cases the lnb was actually at ground level or close to it.
As an added bonus,the old windows program for figuring out the cutting zones.I got that from a guy on a spanish forum years ago.

Attachments

• plywood_fresnel_C_band.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
  • plywood_fresnel_errata.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • plywood_zones_exe.zip
    17.8 KB · Views: 130
You might be able to pass this off as a "sunscreen" in areas with very restrictive HOAs. Let me see now, 3 sheets of 4'x12' marine grade plywood -- $100, aluminium paint -- $25, I would estimate the woodworking time for a 12' to be approximately 50 hours (at $60/hr for someone with skill) if you dont have access to things like a water jet/laser cutting table -- $3000.

I know many of us would spend 50 hours refurbishing a H-H motor and not even think of the cost.

There are only 3 reasons I can see for doing this project:

1. Restrictive HOA
2. Just to say you did it
3. Use it as a learning opportunity working with the formulae

Last edited:
an artist might be able to use state of the art materials,say like some sort of plastic sheets that pass C band signal plus reflective paint.
Multiple lnb's on the back at different sat focal points.

Thanks for posting that Primestar31! That was interesting to read, it's a Fresnel lens rather than a dish, cool. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)