Now that the PS3 has flopped as a game machine

Dean’s Take on NPD numbers for September - A+E Interactive: Your Bay Area hangout for gaming, music, movies, culture -

Halo 3 explains much of this. But as Nooch notes, there is strength across the board. The Xbox 360 sold 527,800 consoles in the month, while Halo 3 sold 3.3 million copies — $225 million worth — during just 12 days of sales at the end of the month. And remember, that is just a U.S. number for Halo 3 sales. The three Halo SKUs accounted for the top three slots on the top ten list, even the Legendary version that cost an insane $129. The 360 finally outsold the Wii, which sold 501,000 units. Overall, the 360 sales grew 50 percent from August, which was a strong month because of the benefit of the $50 price cut. Moreover, Microsoft noted that Xbox 360 software outsold PS 3 software eight to one and Wii software by four to one.

The Wii is doing surprisingly well given the hype around Halo 3. Anita Frazier, analyst at NPD, noted that Nintendo finally started getting large numbers of consoles into the market. Sony, meanwhile, sold only 119,400 PlayStation 3s and 215,000 PlayStation 2s. Clearly, that’s why Sony had to make the move to launch the 40-gigabyte console at $399. That should help put Sony back in the game, but I very much doubt that the former leader of the industry will move out of third place.

One piece of news that came out this week was that Sony pleaded with third-party developers not to abandon its struggling platform. That change in attitude is a marked difference compared to the arrogance of past years. The argument is that the PS 3 will show its strength as developers learn how to make games for it. But developers know they can staff four or five Wii teams with the same number of people it takes to make one PS 3 game. We may have a glut of Wii games soon, but that’s not as bad as not having enough games on the PS 3.

The Xbox 360 is going to have a good season with games like “Mass Effect” and “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” still to come. Yes, I know it’s also on the PS 3. But clearly it will sell more units on the Xbox 360. Sony managed to crack the top ten finally with a PS 3 title, “Heavenly Sword.” But beyond Ratchet & Clank, it’s unclear what is going to be a big seller for the company this season. We’ll have to see the October numbers, but I expect that the Halo 3 blast radius is still going to have an effect, as will the entry of the $399 PS 3. As Frazier says, content is going to move hardware. With Super Smash Bros. pushing out, Microsoft looks like it has some of the strongest games yet to come in the season. Nintendo still has Super Mario Galaxy, and Sony will have to cross its fingers on Ratchet.

...Sony pleaded with third-party developers not to abandon its struggling platform.
This is the best news PS3 had in a long time: the "F*ck you!" attitude of Kutaragi times is over. Or just about.

If it continues like this, Howard Stringer's measures might start to pay off:
not only fiscal clean-up (Savy Sony Sells Cell) but more important public opinion turnaround. It's long overdue...

Diogen.

Lets do the apples and oranges thing here -- the XBOX360 came out and had -- NO COMPETITION! Then there were problems which took M$ over a year to admit to a design flaw and extend the warranty to 3 years! The PS3 comes out and the XBOX360 has been out a year and has several titles on it-- no real AAA titles but so pretty good AA titles and the Wii hits at half the PS3 20GB price. The 60gb is at $600 and mom and dad look at the Wii and push the kids in that direction.

Lets dial it up to today. The Wii and the Xbox360 are around 11 mil each. The PS3 is at about 5 mil. The winner here is definately the Wii but the Wii is not really a next gen in the graphics department but the game mechanics are definately grabing people. The 360 has its main AAA title Halo hit and it takes the market by storm. However in several markets it disappears from the top ten before the end of the month. In the US Halo3 drives 360 sales -- with that 3 year warranty it is now safe to buy one.

The PS3 has a price drop. They bring out a player at $399 (a fully fuctioning BluRay player included) along with the 80GB dropping to $499. This is not a bad move. Rachet and Clank(never played one till the PS3 demo and I will be getting this first day out) plays like a movie from Pixar -- looks like one too. Already being called a tripleAAA title by most reviewers. More goodies coming almost every two weeks. This could be the start of the PS3 upswing in sales -- we shall see.

At the end of the XMAS the Wii will be on top , the 360 second and the PS3 third -- but you will begin to see alot of movement from the PS3 heading into XMAS. Don't think that backwards compatibility is a problem -- most of those PS2 owners are not going to be selling their systems unless they get $50 on a trade-in on a new PS3 then they can pay $449 for the 80gb that will offer them backwards compatibility. I expect that by XMAS the shelves will be empty of PS3 -- but we will see.

most of those 100 million PS2 owners?

No AAA titles for the 360 year one? COD2, Oblivion, both out within 4-5 months of launch, both rated 90+ at metacritic. Oblivion even rated a point higher than the PS3 version that came out a year later.

Movement from the PS3 heading into Xmas? While I am sure you probably meant for, I am not sure I see that holding too true. Those parents who's kids are now asking for a real console for Christmas are going to see a $280 Xbox sitting there with 5 fun arcade games... and a $400 PS3 Blu-Ray player, which do you think they're going to buy?

Other than Ratchet, what is coming for the PS3 that isn't coming for the 360 for the holiday? The 360 will have continued strong sales of Halo, and then Mass Effect is going to hit, and hit big. Ace Combat is going to have every 14 year old with a dream begging for a 360 if they ever bump up the marketing for it (has anyone even seen an ad for the thing?).

I'll let others pick apart the rest.

I think the best deals for a PS3 will continue to be Craigslist until holiday NEXT YEAR, especially for those savvy enough to try and get money for their old console.

Slowly moving over to the dark side.You will be surprised how well a BR player it is and how well it up converts dvds
I have no interest in watching DVDs and Sony agreed to eat another 100 dollars on my purchase due to their price drop this weekend.

Those parents who's kids are now asking for a real console for Christmas are going to see a $280 Xbox sitting there with 5 fun arcade games... and a $400 PS3 Blu-Ray player, which do you think they're going to buy?

You're right: $280 for a system that comes with "fun arcade games" or $400 for one that also happens to be the best Blu-Ray player on the market does seem like an easy choice.

I enjoy how so many of us on these boards over-estimate the american public. Parents are going to get the cheaper one. The members of this board are such the minority of the american public, I think we believe that the majority knows what Blu-Ray is. They don't. I can save $120 with the Xbox or Wii, I'll take it.
You're right: $280 for a system that comes with "fun arcade games" or $400 for one that also happens to be the best Blu-Ray player on the market does seem like an easy choice.

IT'S A GAMING MACHINE!

The 360 and the PS3 are both marketed as complete home media devices, so if you are going to compare prices, you need to figure in what they can do - everything they can do - into that price.

Add the HD-DVD add-on to the 360, then let's do a straight features to price comparison. I realize the 360 has a better list of games (now), but that's just not the whole story, no matter how much you want it to be.

I enjoy how so many of us on these boards over-estimate the american public. Parents are going to get the cheaper one. The members of this board are such the minority of the american public, I think we believe that the majority knows what Blu-Ray is. They don't. I can save $120 with the Xbox or Wii, I'll take it.

But you're assuming we're talking about the general American public, which we're not. We're talking about the minority of the American public that is ready to buy a next-gen system. I do believe that most of them know what Blu-Ray is.

Yes it is....and it's a media center (video, pics, and music) and a blu-ray player and an online community (HOME coming soon)....a lot of people own it just for the blu-ray player!
Can it accept video from cable, satellite or OTA? I don't think it can so saying it's a home media center is really streching it. Can it use a universal remote (besides bluetooth)? It's a gaming machine, and the adoption rate of Blue-ray discs purchased by owners of PS3s pretty much proves it.

Can it accept video from cable, satellite or OTA? I don't think it can so saying it's a home media center is really streching it. Can it use a universal remote (besides bluetooth)? It's a gaming machine, and the adoption rate of Blue-ray discs purchased by owners of PS3s pretty much proves it.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I'd be curious to see where this "adoption rate" you're talking about comes from. Personally, every movie I've bought since I got my PS3 has been on Blu-Ray, except for a couple I got for the kids (no blu-ray in the van) and one that didn't have an HD alternative of any kind.

But you're assuming we're talking about the general American public, which we're not. We're talking about the minority of the American public that is ready to buy a next-gen system. I do believe that most of them know what Blu-Ray is.

We are though. The comment was made about what the parent would buy, the cheaper or the more expensive. We're talking about Christmas and that's the general public. The kids want what their friends have. A XBOX, a Wii, or a PS3. The parent will say, look that's cheaper, look at reviews, "hey they're all pretty similar in terms of reviews" and get the cheap one. I was just responding to your all-in-one, best Blu-Ray player on the market.

Actually, yes it can accept OTA, a new firmware is coming out in the UK that will turn the PS3 into a DVR. It will never be able to handle SAT signals (I just don't see D* or E* cutting a deal with Sony), but if it can decode OTA, then why not QAM?? Yeah, there is no release date on that firmware in the USA, but it's probably only a matter of time. You can also buy remotes that use an IR dongle, so yes, you can program it into a universal remote. What exactly am I stretching????

We are though. The comment was made about what the parent would buy, the cheaper or the more expensive. We're talking about Christmas and that's the general public. The kids want what their friends have. A XBOX, a Wii, or a PS3. The parent will say, look that's cheaper, look at reviews, "hey they're all pretty similar in terms of reviews" and get the cheap one. I was just responding to your all-in-one, best Blu-Ray player on the market.

Exactly.

For a parent buying for their children asking for a 360/PS3, here are their entry options and what they'll be looking at when considering the purchase

arcade_2.jpg

$280 Xbox 360 Arcade
- 5 arcade games that don't involve cutting people's heads off, that are games THEY KNOW as 'old people who used to play pong back in the day' (Uno, Pac-Man + Boom-Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2)

playstation-3-box.jpg

$400 Playstation 3
- Comes with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray

For Sony to compete with the Arcade box, it'd take a $300 PS3 with Ratched bundled in. Perhaps next holiday season something like that would be economicly feasible.

I throw a lot of stuff out there for debate, but from a mass market perspective, Sony is still missing the mark here. It's not like this SKU has been a surprise either considering it's been leaked for months.

IMO what all of this really means, is Sony is forefiting a 3rd holiday season in the 'budget' demographic. I don't know how big this demographic is, but think it is safe to assume it is critical for mass market success. They didn't participate in the first year, the second year they had a surplus of consoles at the initial launch price, and year 3 they've rearranged SKUs to cater to lower high-end purchasers but still have nothing for the parents looking to buy a new console for their kids.

I never liked the core offering, it was just kinda 'there'. This one has a lot more rhyme and reason to it.

Actually, yes it can accept OTA, a new firmware is coming out in the UK that will turn the PS3 into a DVR. It will never be able to handle SAT signals (I just don't see D* or E* cutting a deal with Sony), but if it can decode OTA, then why not QAM?? Yeah, there is no release date on that firmware in the USA, but it's probably only a matter of time. You can also buy remotes that use an IR dongle, so yes, you can program it into a universal remote. What exactly am I stretching????

I'd have to look it up, but I think this is essentially an external device, not a firmware update, and they have a uniform broadcast standard that makes this possible in Europe. I don't think we'll ever see it here in the states.

edit, found some deets: More details on Sony's new PlayTV - Engadget

The new box will feature two 1080p tuners, which utilize the European Digital Video Broadcasting system (DVB-T) -- which should dash any US hopes for the time being.

Actually Sony has already anounced that feature. Most of us hope to see this feature in the 2.0 firmware upgrade. But more likely we will see it in the first or second quarter of next year.

IMO what all of this really means, is Sony is forefiting a 3rd holiday season in the 'budget' demographic. I don't know how big this demographic is, but think it is safe to assume it is critical for mass market success. They didn't participate in the first year, the second year they had a surplus of consoles at the initial launch price, and year 3 they've rearranged SKUs to cater to lower high-end purchasers but still have nothing for the parents looking to buy a new console for their kids.

I never liked the core offering, it was just kinda 'there'. This one has a lot more rhyme and reason to it.

Seems to me like the true "budget" demographic is still a year away from buying a next-gen console... they probably just got a PS2 last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)