Number of Sling Extenders supported by 1 sling adapter

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
For the sake of discussion, let's first assume Dish will actually release the Sling Extender some time this decade.....:)

How many Sling Extenders can be in use at one time using just one Sling Adapter? Here is the setup I was picturing: I have one 722 in my living room with the Sling Adapter installed on it and 3 remote rooms that each have HD TV's with a Sling Extender. Will I be able to watch a different live TV program on each of the TV's at the same time? Can I watch 4 different recordings on each TV at the same time?

It will never be mire then one at a time, if they ever expanded the programmers would just on them with copyright claims.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

This is one benefit of the Monsoon products over Sling products.

BTW - expanding on the OP's question a tad... Suppose I have two 722's w/Sling Adapters. Can I then watch on two Sling Extenders via the two receivers?

This is one benefit of the Monsoon products over Sling products.

BTW - expanding on the OP's question a tad... Suppose I have two 722's w/Sling Adapters. Can I then watch on two Sling Extenders via the two receivers?

Yup.

And on Monsoon - how is the threat of copyright issues a benefit? Monsoon has the same liability that Sling products do.

Wonder if it would be the same stupidity as it is now... ie.. one user account, one set of settings ... so the last person that logs out ... leaves their settings behind and the next person in has to change recivers .... right now its a real annoyance when one is in via android app ... other logs in via web ... and has to change receivers.

Well this stinks. :(

Considering that the Dish Whole Home DVR will most likely not make it to market in the next two years, I was hoping that getting a Sling Adapter and couple of Extenders might be my solution but limiting it to only one Extender at a time makes it worth less to me.

This limit confused me because if only one Extender can be used at a time, what's the point in even having one? It would be easier to just get another HD DVR for each TV.

The sling adapter technically has only one signal source.. TV2 on the receiver its attached to. Why would you think that a sling extender would change the number of sources available and therefor offer more concurrent users?

For them (Dish/Sling) to do otherwise, they would have to make it so the sling adapter could be set to tuner 1 or tuner 2... if they did that, then maybe you could have two simultaneous feeds, but without hard wired network connections you'd still not see two extenders working ... even on the "Better" setting these slings pull 8 to 9 megs of traffic locally ....

The sling adapter technically has only one signal source.. TV2 on the receiver its attached to. Why would you think that a sling extender would change the number of sources available and therefor offer more concurrent users?

For them (Dish/Sling) to do otherwise, they would have to make it so the sling adapter could be set to tuner 1 or tuner 2... if they did that, then maybe you could have two simultaneous feeds, but without hard wired network connections you'd still not see two extenders working ... even on the "Better" setting these slings pull 8 to 9 megs of traffic locally ....
I was expecting to be able to watch either of the tuners on remote TVs but not more than two live shows at once? If I have a 722 in the living room with a Sling Adapter and 3 remote TVs each connected using a Sling Extender, I was expecting to be able to watch Live 2 on any two of the TVs and recorded shows on the other 2 TVs all at the same time.

I was expecting to be able to watch either of the tuners on remote TVs but not more than two live shows at once? If I have a 722 in the living room with a Sling Adapter and 3 remote TVs each connected using a Sling Extender, I was expecting to be able to watch Live 2 on any two of the TVs and recorded shows on the other 2 TVs all at the same time.

What you are describing is more like the MRV that will be available when the xip813 comes out. I think the sling adaptor is less powerful. Your expectations have outrun the reality unfortunately, You and the rest of us will have to wait a bit longer.

I plan on getting the sling extender , because I've waited over two years since they announced this damn thing. I already have hd from my 722k running to my living room and computer room via hdmi splitter. So I can watch google revue in either room ,but same show at the same time. My kid has his own 211k with dvr software for his kid shows. All I need is this sling extender to have tv in HD in my master bedroom and I would be all set. Now once the 813 series comes out I might be interested in getting this box and some 110 boxes for whole house dvr ,but only if the 110 boxes aren't spouting some new additional receiver price, like the extra receivers do now. But I am betting that DISH will charge a separate MRV fee ,like Directv does, but at a much higher price tag.

And on Monsoon - how is the threat of copyright issues a benefit? Monsoon has the same liability that Sling products do.
Darn good question. The remote stream is singular just like Sling, but the local LAN stream is (1) SD even though DVD quality and (2) generally cannot be routed over a WAN without a lot of painful workarounds AND enormous upstream bandwidth. So, I imagine Monsoon is not bothered because they are only doing on the LAN what we all have been doing for years: distribute SD e.g. via coax. I imagine the providers don't think they have any legal traction on that topic. On the other hand, maybe Monsoon is just too small to be of interest.

For them (Dish/Sling) to do otherwise, they would have to make it so the sling adapter could be set to tuner 1 or tuner 2... if they did that, then maybe you could have two simultaneous feeds...
I think selecting TV1 or TV2 tuners might be easy. But doing both at once is not going to happen due to the hardware inside the Sling Adapter. Remember it's already doing quite a lot: decrypting, transcoding, re-encrypting of an HD video stream. I seriously doubt that two streams could be accommodated on one Sling Adapter regardless of source selection.

VOD buffers alot

Bad quality picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts