OECFiber in Oklahoma

The rural electric co-ops are doing the best job of getting fiber to rural and small town people in the State.

LREC has done the same in the Wagoner area around Lake Ft. Gibson. Unfortunately for me, they stopped a mile from the little neighborhood around Rocky Point where my lake place is, I’m assuming because Vyve came in and bought the old cable plant, upgraded and put it back in service about the same time as LREC was planning out their fiber routes.

Reactions: CharlieHorse
The rural electric co-ops are doing the best job of getting fiber to rural and small town people in the State.

LREC has done the same in the Wagoner area around Lake Ft. Gibson. Unfortunately for me, they stopped a mile from the little neighborhood around Rocky Point where my lake place is, I’m assuming because Vyve came in and bought the old cable plant, upgraded and put it back in service about the same time as LREC was planning out their fiber routes.

We've been chomping at the bit, Windstream DSL service here s**ks because of the old wire, we were finally able to upgrade to a duel DSL line G Bonded modem and for the same price as 100 Mbps service we got 35 Mbps down/ 1.5 Mbps up for $140/mo. including phone line.

I'm not sure about my speed, I'm currently getting 320 Mbps down/285 Mbps up without the ExpressVPN. That is with CAT 5 cables, my CAT 7 cables will be here tomorrow. I'm hoping that will make a big difference and help my VPN speed because the download speed on that is only 22-37 Mbps/ 220 Mbps up. We got the install last Thursday and our wired speeds were only about 95/95 which led to me ordering Cat 7 cable.

Reactions: osu1991
I'm not sure if our co-op (CKenergy) is part of OEC. I assume from the OEC Fiber coverage map they must be. The map I saw shows they turned away from our area to go toward high density neighborhoods.

1588000273836.png

When Windstream was doing our G Bonded modem we found out about the fiber optic running along highway 74 at the end of our dead end street. It was so frustrating to have fiber nearly within reach.

harshness said:
"That depends mostly on what your upstream speed is rather than the overhead of VPN. Do you have a symmetric broadband connection (down and up speeds are the same)?

Further, if you dad is using Wi-fi, you may have an uphill battle sustaining the bandwidth on his end."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My connection is supposed to be 1 Gbps up/down no data cap for $85/mo. I was paying Windstream $140/mo for a dual DSL line G Bonded modem including land line that gave us only a max of 35 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up, due to poor quality phone lines. NO Plex upload with that speed.

His wifi will stream 4K movies off my VUDU account, he has a Cox cable modem @15Mbps, my Plex movies are all 1080p so it should be OK. If no I'll buy him more speed. My ExpressVPN speeds are generally between 23 to 40 Mbps down and around 80 Mbps up so I should be good. Try'd Nord for a day, got a refund, they were slower and had a klunky interface.

Installed my CAT 7 cables last night, same 95 Mbps down 300 Mbps up.

Figured out the ethernet card in my new (last year) Dell Inspiron 3780 is only 10/100 ARGH!! So I ordered a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter.

My Netgear R9000 router has Plex built in, with a WD Easystore 8 TB drive loaded with 6.5 TB of backup to my Synology 918+ with 4X8 TB drives. I run 2 8TB Easystore USB 3.0 backup drives, one on the router and the other on the 918+. Don't want to expose the 918+ outside the home network.

Should work ok, I just have to wait for the CV-19 lockdown to end at his facility so I can set it up at his end.

I'm still not sure about my fiber connection, but will wait till Thur. when the adapter arrives before I bug customer service. The installer knew even less about networking than I do. Scary, he's a former Dish Network installer, so a little bit out of his depth. Really nice kid though, he'll learn. I'd rather have nice and eager to please than "know it all A** H*le".

CharlieHorse said:
"My Netgear R9000 router has Plex built in, with a WD Easystore 8 TB drive loaded with 6.5 TB of backup to my Synology 918+ with 4X8 TB drives."
__________________________________________________________________________________________
[IMG alt="harshness"]https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/data/avatars/m/73/73437.jpg?1576254448[/IMG]
harshness
Said
"You'll have to see if the R9000 is up to the transcoding task (even if it just has to transcode to 1080i). Just because you can download painstakingly pre-compressed 1080p at 5Mbps doesn't mean that you can do a real-time re-encode using router-grade hardware with that kind of efficiency. Internet forum traffic suggests that the R9000's transcoding horsepower is marginal as compared with a conventional computer (no wonder, absent a display card with dedicated decode hardware at least).

Not everything behaves according to the math. I have a 65 down Comcast service and right now, due to woefully overloaded DNS servers, it can't find the Dell home page. If I use a SharkVPN connection to Bend Oregon (their closest node), it loads right up. My raw throughput is obviously there but the DNS overhead in these stay-at-home times is just too great for Comcast's system to handle. I had to try twice to get the Comcast speed test to work and it eventually gave me a 89.1 down speed.

As for the network card, 10/100 is not defensible on Dell's part when the wireless side is rated at 150 or more but that's one of the surprises you get with a modest laptop. I'm sure they're going to hide behind the Wi-fi performance because it is "portable" after all."

I don't try to Transcode on the R9000, it used to work from my house to his until I "UPGRADED" to the 100 Mbps plan with a G Bonded/ twin DSL line modem and my upload went from 4 to 6 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps. #######

THANKS WINDSTREAM!!!! NOT

Last edited:
I don't try to Transcode on the R9000, it used to work from my house to his until I "UPGRADED" to the 100 Mbps plan with a G Bonded/ twin DSL line modem and my upload went from 4 to 6 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps.
Unless transcoding is turned off in the settings (and it may be on a router), Plex may try to transcode. On the Windows, Linux and Mac Plex distros, transcode is enabled by default.

I turned it off in the settings, the R9000 has enough to do.
Then you've done pretty much everything you can with the hardware you've got. Now to see how it actually plays out.

If there's somewhere else you could install your dad's router as a test, you may be able to shave some project execution time off. I'd imagine that putting it on a neighbor's or workplace LAN as a client (you don't need to take over the WAN connection) would be a pretty good simulation to start with.

If you wait until they lift the visitation restrictions, he may be moving freely about his living arrangement by then and no longer need the boost in content.

Then you've done pretty much everything you can with the hardware you've got. Now to see how it actually plays out.

If there's somewhere else you could install your dad's router as a test, you may be able to shave some project execution time off. I'd imagine that putting it on a neighbor's or workplace LAN as a client (you don't need to take over the WAN connection) would be a pretty good simulation to start with.

If you wait until they lift the visitation restrictions, he may be moving freely about his living arrangement by then and no longer need the boost in content.

Well, I need to simplify it as much as possible, he has trouble working the smart phone I got him 2 years ago. It breaks my heart sometimes to see the way his abilities, both mental and physical are fading. I think it's the mental degradation that bothers him the most.

At the time he took an early retirement package from an agricultural division of Tenaco, Inc (Hegblade, Margolis, Tenaco, Inc} he was CFO of a consumer products company called Sun Giant Foods. Now at 92 I have to verify his bank balance every month and pull money from his Scwab account if needed to cover the $4000 rent check for his assisted living apartment. He still did his taxes last year and has every return since his first one in 1949. This year I'm not so sure.

My GOAL is to be as good a son to him as he has been a Father to me. To that end I can access the Plex server outside the network now and as soon as the facility allows family back in I'll set it up on his end. I have gotten pretty adept at pausing the movie, ballgame etc. whenever he nods off.

And this morning while I was setting up the port forwarding on the Netgear R9000 I ran a Speedtest of the new OECFiber connection from the QOS page. 932Mbps down/935Mbps up, can't wait to get the USB 3.0/Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter I ordered.

I'll post the results when I get them.

OK, as promised I want to post the speed results since I got the USB 3.0 to Ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter.

937 Mbps down/796 Mbps up

With ExpressVPN

188 Mbps down/ 222Mbps up

Not only that, but my speed from laptop to Plex Server on the Synology 918+ has increased to 100MB/sec.

I'm a very happy camper today.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Our little road here is only 9' wide and there are 20 5 acre parcels, since last week when we were the first to get the OECFiber installed, their trucks have been parked all over the shoulders doing installs. We may need to have a big block party after all the years we suffered the poor Windstream connection speeds.

Well, I need to simplify it as much as possible, he has trouble working the smart phone I got him 2 years ago.

What is he going to be watching on and with?

If the tv supports HDMI CEC, I would use a Roku or Fire stick and set the Plex app as the first option. Then it’s just a matter of clicking the home button on the streaming device and clicking the Plex app to load the dashboard.

This has worked well for my very non tech savvy 75yr old mom.

What is he going to be watching on and with?

If the tv supports HDMI CEC, I would use a Roku or Fire stick and set the Plex app as the first option. Then it’s just a matter of clicking the home button on the streaming device and clicking the Plex app to load the dashboard.

This has worked well for my very non tech savvy 75yr old mom.

I'm trying not to complicate things, we got him a 65" Sony 4K 900 series 2 years ago when we moved him from Las Vegas to Oklahoma City. The Plex app is on his TV, right next to YouTube, which he watches incessantly. He gets confused about which remote to use, so I set it up so he can use the Sony remote for everything, including Cox Cable. (I hid the Cox remotes in his nightstand)

I wanted to get him the 65" Sony because it had a great picture and he was moving his 40" Sony to the bedroom and replacing the 32" Sony there. He wanted to get a TCL 55" series 4, so when we got to Best Buy I proceeded with my plan. I showed him how much better the picture was on the Sony, how the software interface was so familiar, how much better the sound was. Unfortunately he kept comparing the prices, Sony $1700/TCL $600.

I think in my past life, I must have sold used cars, because, first I reminded him that in his lifetime he had NEVER gone near the "Top Shelf" items. Heck he went thru a 10 year period from 1960 to 1970 when he drove Ramblers, although the '64 Rambler Ambassador he bought new was really nice, he could have gotten a Chevelle SS or a GTO. In '63 I lobbied for a Jag XKE, but that's a whole nother story.

Anyway, it turned out that Best Buy was sold out of the TCLs, that was when I went in with my "Rock Bottom" deal. I told him if he paid the $600 for the TCL, I'd pay the $1100 difference to get him the Sony. He stepped back and asked why I would do that?

So, I took a deep breath, stepped up, put my hand on his 90 year old shoulder, and told the truth.

"Dad, I would really rather inherit the Sony."