OLN Dropped by Dish over Programming Disputes

-OLN is NOT asking for more money for this channel - all they are asking for is for it to be distributed in a package to a wider audience. Yes, in the long run, E* will have to pay a little more to OLN, since now more people will be seeing it, but in reality, E*'s costs would not go up that high proportionately, since typically the more subs you offer a channel to, the LOWER the provider's cost is to offer the service to begin with.

*SIGH*

Dishrich,

Where do you draw the line? Do you subscribe to every channel available on your system (I mean every one?) The answer is probably no. My question is Why not? Probably because at some point you said it costs too much. Your neighbor may not agree. So if your neighbor gets everything, why not you? Are you just being cheap?

As to the cost issue. By dropping a channel to a lower tier and being charged the same amount per subscriber LOWERS THE MARGIN ON THE PACKAGE. You have increased costs on that package. The company needs to either absorb the cost by lowering their margin or raise the price. There is no other alternative.

See ya
Tony

juan said:
How do you know any of what you just posted?
How do I know any of what? I presented two opposing scenerios. The truth is most likely one of them. My money is on OLN's.

As for my prediction on OLN coming to AT120. It's merely a prediction. Wanna bet a dollar on whether I'm right? :yes

As for my comment on Dishies, I've got 6 pages of this thread to prove that point.

E* cheerleaders vs. E* bashers. I'm on the sidelines for this one. I watched 10 minutes of the TDF this year. I'll watch less hockey than that. And I do have AT180.

Didn't take long for a Charlie devote to come out - imagine that...

TNGTony said:
Where do you draw the line? Do you subscribe to every channel available on your system (I mean every one?) The answer is probably no. My question is Why not? Probably because at some point you said it costs too much. Your neighbor may not agree. So if your neighbor gets everything, why not you? Are you just being cheap?

We are talking ONE fricken channel here, NOT an entire range - I really don't understand what this has to do with this whole discussion. Again, since you dishies always listen to the E* spin doctors - OLN DID NOT FORCE E* TO TOTALLY REMOVE THE CHANNEL - E* CHOOSE TO DO THIS, BECAUSE HE COULD NOT GET THE NHL FEED OF OLN FOR THE SAME PRICE AS BEFORE!

E* COULD HAVE LEFT EVERYTHING AS-IS, SANS THE NHL, BUT CHOOSE TO STORM OFF IN A HUFF!
Tony, you can do E*'s spinning forever, & it doesn't change this little fact one iota.

As to the cost issue. By dropping a channel to a lower tier and being charged the same amount per subscriber LOWERS THE MARGIN ON THE PACKAGE. You have increased costs on that package. The company needs to either absorb the cost by lowering their margin or raise the price. There is no other alternative.

Obviously you didn't read my post completely, nor must you understand how prog contracts work. If E* was to move OLN down to AT120, most likely the PER SUB charge to E* would, in fact DECREASE per sub, because in most cases, a prog provider bases the per-sub charge on a sliding scale - get more subs, your PER SUB charge goes down. It's pretty simple & I'm surprised you don't know this. YES, I DO understand it would add to the cost of AT120, but NOT as much as you guys would have everyone believe.

(And BTW - thank you for not putting your reply today over my original post, like you did last night & which I didn't appreciate - I thought that kind of stuff only happened over at the "talk" board & there's no need to do that to get your point across :rolleyes: )

mwgiii said:
I wonder if this might explode into a holy war between Dish & Comcast and effect other channels?

Comcast's other channels:

E!
Style
The Golf Channel
OLN
G4
AZN TV (old International Channel)

Who cares? Do many people watch those?

riffjim4069 said:
That was in 2002, but who knows what the future holds. Perhaps in the future it may be possible for both to share costly satellite and uplink facilities while still maintaining their own autonomy. Other than the technical limitations, I am not aware of any legal barriers preventing them from partnering should push ever come to shove in the video landscape.

I can see maybe joint sharing but the FCC made it abundantly clear there will be no satellite merger period. Of course times change but they were not happy with Voom bowing out either.

ramy said:
Who cares? Do many people watch those?

The person that watchs that channel and has it pulled would care. I know my father in law would be really pi**es if Golf Channel went away (golf is what he lives for).

Just wondering if there are any Center Ice subscribers on Dish who are complaining. You will pay a lot of money to watch hockey and probably by that subscription alone, you likely pay more money to Dish than any of the cheerleading squad for the Satellite Fuhrer and his sports bashing crew, and you will be struck out of many playoff games. For example, I subscribe to NBA LP, and I'd be pretty burned up if TNT and ESPN playoff games were not available.

We'll see the playoffs ;)

Like others have said OLN will be back and available to AT120 ;)

It's really just another chance for dish to get attention by the little show :D

Brewer4 said:
Didnt the FCC already block Echostar and Directv from merging? I agree there will be consolidation but I think 2 dish companies will exist for a while. What I do see happening, is more News Corp/Directv ownership scenarios. Thats where it gets more interesting. Its the ownership of the content in question that will cause issues with providers. Thats what is going on with Comcrap pushing its weight on E*.

Comcast tried to buy them once and I think you will see someone vie for Disney/ESPN again. Let the games begin. Its gonna get more interesting than just OLN/Comcrap/E*.
welllllllllllllllllllllll charlie is a big democrat...rupert is a very generous republican..the republicans rule the roost!!!!!guess what?? Rupert always get what he wants

BFG said:
We'll see the playoffs ;)

Like others have said OLN will be back and available to AT120 ;)

It's really just another chance for dish to get attention by the little show :D

Agreed. I'm not a hockey fan but, I think everyone needs to relax. This is only affects a small number of games and is just a negotiation tactic.

Actually I don't think the NHL will be on OLN next year based upon their ratings on that channel. According to USA Today the ratings are virtually non-existent as being discussed over on DBS Forums:

NHL TV Ratings on OLN

From USA Today:

In its NHL coverage so far, the Outdoor Life Network is averaging .25% of its 64 million households. That's 52% below what ESPN averaged for its first five games two years ago and, with ESPN in about 90 million households, 64% fewer households.

Things looked a bit bleak after Monday's Panthers-Rangers game drew 0.1% of OLN's households and — this isn't a joke — finished in an eight-way tie for the 386th-ranked TV show of the night.

mdonnelly said:
E* cheerleaders vs. E* bashers. I'm on the sidelines for this one. I watched 10 minutes of the TDF this year. I'll watch less hockey than that. And I do have AT180.

Ditto here.

What I find interesting is how many non E* customers feel some bizarre need to take sides in this silly corporate dispute.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Ditto here.

What I find interesting is how many non E* customers feel some bizarre need to take sides in this silly corporate dispute.

NightRyder
:haha I know. It seems that the people most outraged by E* not carrying OLN are the D* and cable subs. :confused: