On Demand.... Lesson Learned

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hookem99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Last week I bought a new 52" Samsung LCD. So far I am in love. However, Friday night I decided to download a 1080p movie from D* on demand. I started the download and at 40% complete we started to watch. After a while the movie stopped. I assumed at first that we caught up with the download. I then discovered my ISP was down. Saturday am, before we left for the lake I restarted the download, or so I thought. Today I tried to finish the movie and I couldn't because the '24 hour window' had expired. I called D* and was basically told to bad so sad, which really surprised me. So, lesson learned, don't purchase and start watching a OD flick until it is finished downloading!

This is why I rent them from redbox or netflix. Price is better and no 24 hour window.

This is why I rent them from redbox or netflix. Price is better and no 24 hour window.

i woulda called back and got another CSR, you could have gotten a credit for that I think, now if it were to happen again... then prob not so much...

Yeah, exceptions get made... this is kinda like saying "i bought a car, the next day I ran over nails and the tire went flat, damn you Toyota".

One thing has little to do with the other, also PPV should be looked at like a movie going experience, not a rental... though they'd have given you a free pass/refund at a theater.

Also keep in mind the 24 hour window is imposed on DirecTV by the studios and affects all rental services (except Unbox, Netflix, and other similar monthly providers)

I assume hooking up the receiver to the Internet is the best way to use On-demand? Approximately how long does it take an HD movie to download?

I assume hooking up the receiver to the Internet is the best way to use On-demand? Approximately how long does it take an HD movie to download?

Quite some time actually, depending on your BB connection. It took just over an hour and a half to get to 40% on my 6mb connection.

I may try to call back and see what happens. I am not terribly worried about it, as it was my decision to start watching before it was complete. Like I said, just chalk it up to lesson learned.

Does anyone use Nexflix? My new Samsung blue ray player came Nexflix streaming ready. Im thinking about giving it a try.

Netflix streaming is decent, and given that its free with all netflix subs its very decent. I think its possible to buy a sub without the streaming but I think its only a dollar less a month.

We've had a Roku player for quite some time now. The video quality of the non-HD netflix content is roughly equal to SD broadcast. The HD stuff is sort of in the ballpark of DVD quality but not quite.

The usability could be a bit better. You have to use a computer to stuff your 'instant view' queue with shows/movies from the netflix web site, then they show up on the player box.

Content wise, there are a lot of things in their entirety but most of it is old shows/movies and bad direct-to-video. Thrown in here and there are new release movies and tv shows but its inconsistent.

The coolest part of the roku setup is that my son was able to easily operate it when he was 2 1/2. The roku remote only has a few buttons on it and when you bring up the netflix queue it shows the picture of the dvd case for each show. So all he had to do was push the button on the tv to turn it on, then flip through the list of pictures and pick the one he wanted.

When using this stuff, do check with your broadband providers terms of service for monthly broadband caps. Our cap is 250GB per month and between netflix VOD, directv VOD and streaming internet hulu type stuff, we've hit 120-180GB on a couple of months.

But some broadband providers caps are a lot less than 250GB.

My cap with Cox is only 10gb/month, but apparently it's not really enforced unless you're a habitual WAY-overuser. Also they don't show us how much we're using. It's more with the higher tiers, we've got a middle of the road package, but we're talking like 30gb for the best I think.

If your router is compatible with the open source dd-wrt firmware, besides giving a lot of cool features it includes a bandwidth meter that measures your immediate traffic levels and your monthly totals. Real handy now that these guys are all putting in caps.

Although I heard some legislation might be going through to eliminate the caps. After listening to comcast tell me all about my HSI connection would let me do streaming video for the last 6 years, its sort of a PITA to have them start closing the door now that I'm actually doing it. ;)

Do you have some documentation to support this?
I had always wondered about this as well. Do other providers limit users to 24 hours (FiOS, Cable, etc)?

I used to buy a movie or 2 per month and have not purchased a single one since the 24 hour limit. Way too inconvenient. I can understand not wanting people to store the movies indefinitely, but a 24 hour limit is ridiculous.

I had always wondered about this as well. Do other providers limit users to 24 hours (FiOS, Cable, etc)?

I used to buy a movie or 2 per month and have not purchased a single one since the 24 hour limit. Way too inconvenient. I can understand not wanting people to store the movies indefinitely, but a 24 hour limit is ridiculous.

FIOS , and Comcast also have 24hr limit.

Yes, other providers have a 24 hour limit as well. Rent a movie from Apple TV/iTunes there's a 24 hour period after you start watching it and then you have to re-rent it. Same goes for Charter VOD here in Birmingham. It's also why the "all day ticket" PPVs are 24 hours.

Ya, the model makes a lot more sense if you look at it as a substitute to going to the theater and seeing a movie... rather than as rental. It's just not as new as what you find in the theater is all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RV Install of Winguard single lnb dish, no signal?

ReUsing Access Cards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)