one month old display model or new?

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
My local sears has a panasonic TH-42PZ80U on sale for $799. Retail was around $1200. This model is the 1080p, and has been on display for right at a month. I looked and looked, and could see no signs of image retention. Plus they had it set up with a stretched SD (looked terrible) picture to keep any logos off of the screen

So what do you think? Should I go with this?

Or get a new 720p model

I imagine at this size, the extra pixels are pretty much a non factor, but what do you think? Worth it or not since the price is the same

Last edited:
My local sears has a panasonic TH-42PZ80U on sale for $799. Retail was around $1200. This model is the 1080p, and has been on display for right at a month. I looked and looked, and could see no signs of image retention. Plus they had it set up with a stretched SD (looked terrible) picture to keep any logos off of the screen

So what do you think? Should I go with this?

Or get a new 720p model

I imagine at this size, the extra pixels are pretty much a non factor, but what do you think? Worth it or not since the price is the same

You can buy it for me buddy.:D:p

You can buy it for me buddy.:D:p
Lol, ok:up

I told Rey, after I sell my other plasma and the Wii that i have not used in a year, I will end up paying only around $100 for the new set. Not a bad deal either way I go.

Offer them $100 less for immediate "cash and carry" and see if they'll bite on an even lower price. Floor models and "scratch and dent" specials give you a lot of leverage.

Over the years I have bought a number of floor models including both of my LCD TVs and have never regretted it! In exchange for some minor amount of life having been used-up, you get a unit that has had a short "burn-in" period, and that's advantageous. It will help weed-out any "infant mortals", and you can be certain the unit has not been damaged in shipment that you wouldn't see until you opened-up a new one at home. Just make sure you get all the accessories that should have come with the new unit. Stores are great at losing manuals, cables, and even remotes in some cases. If they can't produce the whole package, well there's another opportunity for even further discount...!

Sounds like a decent deal, but just so you know it is on Amazon from 6Ave (a company that I have done business with before and had great success) for $1,049 with no tax and free shipping. I don't know what your sales tax is in Mississippi, but I'm guessing 7% so that would mean you would be walking out paying $855 a savings of less than $200 and you would be looking at new vs. used.

Yeah, I am going to offer them less for sure. Who knows, they may bite, and if they dont, oh well.

Thanks for the info guys.

The kids have found a new love for the Wii now that I put all their games on an external HD for them. The USB loader application is awesome. No more discs to swap around. Just like my old school XBox.

Make sure the warranty is for the full year. Sometimes floor models come with only 90 days... in some retailers.

Well, I got it, and yes, I made sure about the warranty too. It is fully covered. Turns out it was NOT put out a month ago. It was put out a couple of weeks ago.

I have been checking it out with a very sharp eye for the past little while. Absolutely no defects I can tell.

I will say, that even at 42 inches, I CAN tell a difference with blu ray versus the 720p model.

As far as sat goes, not so much ( I wasnt expecting to, and both sets look GREAT for sat HD). I still am trying to adjust the settings, because I had the other panny really dialed in perfectly.

Thanks for all of the advice though guys:up

Congrats on the new TV! Sounds like you did ok.:)

Thanks.

I will give it a week and give my honest evaluation of it. I hate to do so right after I get something. The new will kind of make it biased in most cases.

That said, I am pleased. We will see if it holds.

I have the link at home to the guide of putting the files on the SD card to do it. It was easy...just followed a few steps. Now there is this app that will rip your games to a usb device. I put all of our discs up now. I hate the discs. Spoiled since the original Xbox days. Wish I could do this on the 360. On our second Halo3 disc already and I cant even find the scratch on the first one.

I will send you the link when I get home.

New TV Plasma, LCD, DLP or FPTV?

Toshiba Regza zv650 / 240hz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)