GEOSATpro Openbox S16 vs microHD

pollux

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
los angeles
i bought both Openbox S16 and microHD.
it turns out that their function and software are almost identical.
The only difference i found is that microHD offers close caption option while S16 not.
However, you can get Openbox 16 from ebay for about $80.

Not only is the microHD the only HD DVBS2 receiver in the world to support standard EIA-608 and advanced EIA-708 closed captioning, it is the only FTA receiver satellite to provide CC with the HDMI output!

While you may save $30 on the initial purchase, you will not have these additional benefits of the microHD:
  • One year real Warranty through dealers and/or GEOSATpro technicians in California.
  • English speaking support staff in the US with toll free telephone number.
  • US company designs, develops and distributes. You can actually talk to the people who designed the PCB and continue to improve the performance with frequent firmware releases.
  • Official Firmware distribution via USB and the only North American FTA receiver to offer free update service via satellite.
  • Information packed owners manual written in English by the actual support team.
  • Manufacturer daily participation in public support forum.
  • Full screen signal meter with one button access
  • Advanced signal information such as modulation type, resolution, FEC, SID.
  • Single channel direct entry
  • H8PSK signal reception
  • Official Slingbox support
  • Unlimited audio PID logging on single mux
  • Licensed Dolby
  • Licensed HDMI
  • UL Approved
  • FCC Part 15 Certification

Yes, you can buy a product directly from China that looks similar, but certainly won't get these microHD features or support!

Are these worth 30 bucks?

The best feature of the microHD?

:usa Support a North American Business with real employees who receive sustainable wages and real benefits! :usa
:usa Buy American!!! :usa

Last edited:
i bought both Openbox S16 and microHD.
it turns out that their function and software are almost identical.
The only difference i found is that microHD offers close caption option while S16 not.
However, you can get Openbox 16 from ebay for about $80.

Does it do bandstacked? what of bandstacked Ku and C-band? what selections are there and do they work?
thanks

sorry, i dont know what is bandstacked.
i think its function is same as microHD, since its interfaces/software are almost identical, except closed caption.
i use openbox s16 for c-band Intelsat 21 (58W), Ku-bands: galaxy 3C and galaxy 19, AMC21, all working.

no problem, take pics of the LNB LO setup pages and post them. I am interested in the LNB settings that show 5150-5750 c-band as a selection and 10750- 13850 ku band (I think is proper)
Those would be Bandstacked LNB selections.
If you cannot take pics, just see if the settings are there.
That would be a start.
Thanks

no problem, take pics of the LNB LO setup pages and post them. I am interested in the LNB settings that show 5150-5750 c-band as a selection and 10750- 13850 ku band (I think is proper)
Those would be Bandstacked LNB selections.
If you cannot take pics, just see if the settings are there.
That would be a start.
Thanks
i saw options of non stack from 5150 to 10200, and 11300.
stacked 5150-5750, 5750-5150, 9750-10550, 9750-10600, 9750-10700, 9750-10750, 9750-10600,

for channel editing with the s16 I think you are limited to just using a version of alieditor for that receiver.
It was just alieditor with a different script.ini file to match the s16.

Sounds like they just copied Brians chip~!

No theft, cloning or other sinister crime has occurred... Simple to tell by looking at the firmware that it is much different development. We simply use the same Chipset provider. ALI provides several design templates and basic functions with the SDK (Software Development Kit). Beyond that, functions and features are up to the developers.

We opted to put our initial development time into function and features and simply modify the standard graphics package to fit our needs. As we indicated during development, once the major firmware function and features are implemented we will consider a new graphics design.

We have had a S16 Openbox for several months and are familiar with the function and features.
Post 2 in this thread tells it all... :D

Hi Pollux does the S16 show the signal type and FEC etc? My S9 and S10 only show the freq polarity, and symbol rate. Do you know if the S16 has manual pid entry? My s9 and s10 do not have that feature either.

SatelliteAV said it best. Can't put a price on this type of support and it's nice to back an American company for a damn good receiver at a damn good price.

Hi Pollux does the S16 show the signal type and FEC etc? My S9 and S10 only show the freq polarity, and symbol rate. Do you know if the S16 has manual pid entry? My s9 and s10 do not have that feature either.
i dont think it is different from S10, i dont see FEC. But you can enter and edit the transponders.

Comparing the MicroHD to yet another POS Openbox? Here: :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm ....yeah you earned the 4 'palm award. Congrats! :rolleyes:

to be fair, both my openbox S16 and microHD are working just fine, and they can share and read recordings from the same external hard disk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)