Opinions Wanted...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N3KTH

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Guys,,

I am FINALLY Ready to replace my OLD Fortec Star Lifetime. As I am also ready to "Cut the Cord", I am looking for an easy to use receiver that is "Wife-Friendly"...

So I am looking at a Linkbox 8000HD Local. Anyone have any opinions? Will it do what I want, namely allow me to set up a favorites list that seamlessly integrates FTA and OTA.

I'm open to any and all opinions
Al

Al , I take it you are needing a receiver that also does OTA? I'm sure there are a few around but I don't have one. Hopefully somebody else can comment on a likely prospect for you. OTA is so feeble around here I wouldn''t waste the time on an fta box for it anyway, lol.

Well, Currently I can receive about 16 channels OTA. Of course I get the major networks and CW,THIS, ME, MT, ION, and I think WQED has like 5 sub channels that are all good. So my OTA is pretty good. Of course I get asked "Why do I have to turn the receiver off and use this remote for these channels and turn it on and use that remote for the other".. :)

So, if I could use something like the Linkbox 800HD Local (it has both tuners) I'm assuming I could build a simple Favorites list where channel 1 was WTAE (OTA) and channel 2 was RTN (FTA), etc etc etc, mixing both sources seamlessly.

I just don't know if the receiver will allow me to do that.

I seriously doubt you will find a box that can meet those expectations. FTA for the most part is not "wife friendly". They want to look at content in a guide format and select the channel that way. Not an FTA thing at all. SO pick a "wife friendly" satellite receiver and do something else OTA. I use the tuner in my TV and a GeoSat Pro MicroHD for my wife.

(???) Don't see ATSC reception in the specs of the Linkbox HD8000, any version. Some say so but don't see an OTA antenna port(?) And can't remember anyone here reviewing it or even talking about it.
What would be 'wife friendly' would be multiple FTA boxes receiving the desired FTA channels. Each receiver would feed modulators that are mixed into the OTA coax. Basically your own cable 'head end'. ($$$)
For a 'channel guide' you'd need a computer to show titantv with a custom favorites list.

Hey, I thought of another 'angle' to attack from:
Program an FTA box with timers. Goes to the desired channel at the desired time. (Think most are limited to 8 to 10 settings)
You'd have to print out your own 'schedule'.

About all you can do is try the HD8000 and see if it does what you need. Then let us know 'how it goes'.
Think 'for the greatest viewing value' you'd want C Band 'in the mix'. Got room for a 10 ft BUD?
Take a look at Mikes lists @ Mpeg Central (easiest to navigate IMHO) Has conus C and Ku pages

Rick's also sells them and would probably be able to answer any questions you have. Would love to see a review over here on them if someone has one. The Linkbox HD8000 Local is the only currently sold dvb-s2 stb I know of that offers ATSC reception in the same box. http://www.rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/

Don't think that you will be satisified with a STB with conbine satellite and ATSC tuners. I recommend getting a great STB for satellite and look for another great solution for your local TV. Both don't exist in a single package. I have a Linkbox HD8000 Local from Casey at http://www.hypermegasat.com/ . Nice FTA receiver, but without Local TV having a multi-week or searchable EPG, the ATSC tuner is really only good for watching live TV and not time shifting, DVR, etc. The terrestrail tuner is sensitive but not outstanding.

Personally I have used for 5 years and highly recommend a Silicon Dust HomeRun dual or better tuner and WMC (Windows Media Center) for local TV viewing and DVR. The free EPG with interactive and searchable databse makes DVR recording easy. Single timer for recording a series or special events. Only record new episodes, etc.

For what it is worth, I like my GeoSat Pro Micro HD receiver! I am an FTA newbie, and it was easy for me to setup, and is very easy to search TP's on birds using blind-scan. I have my OTA antenna on the coax (RF) input, and the Micro HD on an HDMI input.

My ole lady don't mess with my FTA, and OTA TV, we share my man cave, but she just watches DVD's when she is supposed to be working. LOL I don't have an easy answer as to what would be wife friendly, as mine says it's too complicated! LOL

Thanks Guys. And yes, I also have a Sadoun 6' Dish for my C Band (Currently stationery and fixed on the PR MUX).

A tough-to-set-up but easy-to-use solution might be building a computer and using Windows Media Center or XBMC with a remote control. At least in Windows Media Center, the channels would all be in one onscreen guide. I'm just not sure about any motor controls.

Speaking from experience, I believe the “wife friendly” philosophy is more about channel surfing methodology. Some wives do not know or care what “OTA” and “FTA” mean. It is about flowing from one channel to the next without having to switch inputs.

In my local OTA market, This TV, Antenna TV and CW are receivable at our farm. If there was some way to create a favorite list on a single OTA / FTA dual-tuner box, this would create a “wife friendly” channel surfing experience. This way she could transition from: Movies! - This TV - Me TV - CW – Antenna TV - etc…

Below is a transcript of an actual conversation, similar to the brushing the snow off the dish incident last winter. Only the names have changed to protect the guilty and the innocent:

Wife: Why do I have to switch inputs on the flat screen to watch This TV and CW? Why can’t fix you fix it?

Husband: Because (deep heavy sigh) “This TV” and “CW” are local over the air transmissions and I cannot put them through the satellite box.

Wife: This is ridiculous, I’m going to bed.

Husband: Uh…Okay (opens another bottle of beer).

Reactions: kittyhas1000legs
Without a tuner, that TV is a monitor. LOTS of them were sold around the time of the digital transition.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts